Talk

Advanced search

I actually don't know if IABU

(22 Posts)
Ozziegirly Tue 28-Jun-11 10:59:27

I was driving into my drive today and a man was walking away from my bin, and I saw him place a small bag into it. He had a dog with him, so I said "is that a bag of dog crap you have just put in my bin?" and he said "yes, a bag of dog poo".

I was quite taken aback as I just didn't know that people did this - it seems wrong, although I confess I can't quite put my finger on why - it's an outside bin, I don't have to empty it or anything.

So, AIBU to think "ewwww, get your dog poo out of my bin!" or is this just what people do with dog crap? Better I suppose than leaving it on my drive or front garden I suppose.

kaluki Tue 28-Jun-11 11:01:04

YANBU - that is gross - in this heat that will stink to high heaven every time you open your bin.
When do the bin men come? Soon, I hope.

minipie Tue 28-Jun-11 11:02:09

I'd be annoyed because my bin men often don't completely empty the bin - they take the big black bags but any small items will be left in. So the dog poo could be left behind.

Also if the bag has any kind of hole in it (or gets pierced when you put more rubbish in) you'll end up with dog poo leaking into your bin. Which you then would have to wash.

YANBU.

worraliberty Tue 28-Jun-11 11:02:46

It wouldn't bother me.

I'd prefer it in my bin than left at the side of the road where a lot of dog walkers seem to leave the bags of poo.

I know it's hot and it might smell, but then so do shitty nappies.

shakey1500 Tue 28-Jun-11 11:03:01

Bit of both really. Surely it's better it's put in A bin than not? At least he's one of the few that bother to pick it up in the first place.

But YANBU to want it out of your bin. Ask him to put it in the neighbours next time smile

FoxyRevenger Tue 28-Jun-11 11:03:18

That happened to me recently and the bin men refused to empty our bin, so I would have asked him to remove it.

effingwotnots Tue 28-Jun-11 11:04:14

I would never put rubbish in somebody else's bin, never mind my dogs crap!

Ozziegirly Tue 28-Jun-11 11:04:18

Well luckily we're in Australia so don't have the same strict bin rules, so it should in theory get emptied as normal (Thursday) and it's also not hot here, BUT I am pleased that so far IANBU.

He just looked so surprised that I was even asking him.

I felt like running after him with a dirty nappy in a bag asking him to pop it in his bin.

On the one hand, carrying round a bag of dog poo is not the nicest thing - and at least he had picked it up and not left it for someone to tread in or wheel their buggy or wheelchair through - but on the other hand it is pretty cheeky to use a stranger's bin without their permission. If it is properly tied up, it shouldn't be niffy, though - I don't notice it in our bins (ddog's poo).

Reading your OP again, it looks as if he had to go onto your drive in order to get to your bin, in which case this was really rude, and I would have challenged him.

meltedchocolate Tue 28-Jun-11 11:05:11

I don't have a dog but I would have no problem with this. He is putting it in a bin, better than on the floor and ending up on your shoe right? Also it can't smell worse than my DCs nappies in the bin.

jennypenney Tue 28-Jun-11 11:05:38

Slightly gross, but preferable to hanging the bag in a tree. Or on a fence post. WHY do people do this? WHY? angry

Ozziegirly Tue 28-Jun-11 11:07:02

Oo posted too soon - I may BU or I may not....

I shall put it down to experience and if I saw him doing it again I would (politely) ask him not to.

He did have to go onto my drive, but it's kind of next to the road so not as bad as it sounds - although it is blatantly not on the road IYSWIM.

moominmarvellous Tue 28-Jun-11 11:07:15

Well I would be a bit hmm but I also remember my last home where it was a regular occurrance for people to tread dog po into my house (front door was straight into living room).

So if someone had the decency to bag it up and drop it in my bin, that would have been preferable without a doubt.

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 28-Jun-11 11:07:57

YABU.

It's a bin. Don't be so precious. Rather the bin than the floor.

ImeldaM Tue 28-Jun-11 11:08:01

I think YANBU, I have dog & would walk with bag of poo to public bin rather than put it in someone elses bin. Some people even decorate their bins & pay to have them cleaned so would def not want dog poo in it.

pozzled Tue 28-Jun-11 11:14:26

Someone did this to me last week, and like you I wasn't sure what to think- better in a bin than left on the ground.

Except that in my case they used the wrong bin, the garden waste one instead of the general waste one, so I actually had to remove the bag and put it into the right bin. That thoroughly pissed me off. The bins are clearly very different and presumably it was someone local walking their dog, so they should bloody well know where to put it.

kaluki Tue 28-Jun-11 11:24:14

Dog poo is far worse than baby poo!
What do you feed your babies????

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 28-Jun-11 11:25:57

Well ys, but who decorates a bin ffs?
And if they are paying to have it cleaned, then it will be cleaned, dog poo or not.

KeepErLit Tue 28-Jun-11 11:35:22

I confess to having disposed of my dog's poo in a random bin that's sitting on the street waiting to be emptied as there is a serious lack of public bins in my area. Never crossed my mind that it is strange or unacceptable and I have no problem with another dog owner using my bin for the same purpose while it's out on the street. I'd not purposely walk onto someone's driveway or path if the bin was there, though.

Perhaps IABU. But that won't stop me doing it again in future should the need arise.

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 28-Jun-11 11:43:49

It's not strange, KEL. It's a bin. Bizarre that someone would get so funny about it, IMO.

The fact that the bin was on the street, waiting to be emptied, suggests that it was bin day, so the poo would have been gone soon, KEL, which makes it OK. Plus you didn't wander onto some stranger's drive in order to use their bin, which is the bit I'd have more of a problem with.

Ozziegirly Tue 28-Jun-11 12:22:30

So in conclusion, I am probably being on the precious side, but generally IANBU.

I can live with that.

Gavel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now