Talk

Advanced search

Park with chicken pox

(16 Posts)
Naetha Tue 28-Jun-11 09:44:25

Would I be irresponsible to take 18mo DD to the park today as she is still in the infectious stage of chicken pox. She's fine in herself. It's such a lovely day and the kids are driving me a little mad (3yo DS stuck at home).

wigglesrock Tue 28-Jun-11 09:46:30

Yes, if she's still infectious, don't go.

strandedbear Tue 28-Jun-11 09:46:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScarletOHaHa Tue 28-Jun-11 09:47:19

YABU . Chicken pox is infectious through air and touch. This can be a very nasty disease. Stay inside.

Naetha Tue 28-Jun-11 09:52:31

Ok that's fine - was taken to a chicken pox party when I was 6 - probably given me a slightly distorted view of how other people view chicken pox.

Was more of a WWYD than AIBU to be honest wink

wigglesrock Tue 28-Jun-11 09:58:35

Although you do have my sympathies, I have a 3 year old at home and its not sunny here grin

redskyatnight Tue 28-Jun-11 10:00:07

DD also has chicken pox so you have my sympathies. We have done a lot of "dancing randonmly to music" to tire her out grin

PeppermintPanda Tue 28-Jun-11 10:03:40

Would be very irresponsible. My DDs are off school for at least 3 weeks atm because CP is going around there and DD1 has compromised immune system. Catching CP for her would mean 2 very painful injections and a course of antiviral meds that, last time she had them, made her very sick. None of that would guarantee that she wouldn't come down with CP, which would be life threatening for her. If all that came about because someone couldn't be bothered keeping their infectious child at home (knowing that she was contagious - I know it's impossible to know before the spots come out), I would be somewhat pissed off. <understatement> After 2+ years of on/off quarantine with DD1 (including 4 weeks in isolation following high dose chemo), I'm afraid I don't have that much sympathy for people stuck inside for a couple of weeks, even if it is a lovely sunny day. Sorry.

risingstar Tue 28-Jun-11 10:28:39

peppermint- cant you get vaccinated against CP? I thought they do it routinely in the states? genuinely interested as i guess you would know if they can or reasons why they cant.

op- stay inside with cbeebies and chocolate buttons and wine

CurlyBoy Tue 28-Jun-11 10:36:40

Yes, PLEASE keep her home! It is not only infectious to kids but adults too! I got it last year at 41 because the child of someone I worked with had it and brought the infection to the office. If any of her sores are open and she touches equipment EVERYbody will get it!

xstitch Tue 28-Jun-11 11:52:53

You would be unreasonable as you would be imposing the CP on others.

A CP party the people there chose to come and it is those parents choice to make. By going to a public place you are making that choice for others. some of whom it could be potentially fatal for if they are in a high risk group so it is not your choice to make.

daytoday Tue 28-Jun-11 12:31:35

You can choose to go to a chicken pox party because you WANT your children to get it. However, what about pregnant women who don't have immunity? Also, children with reduced or compromised immune systems etc. Or a newborn baby.

I have 3 children, including a new born, of course I take the other two to the playground and would be extremely cross if there were a child there with chicken pox that is still contagious.

LIZS Tue 28-Jun-11 12:35:26

Stay home and get your paddling pool out - dd found it soothing to be in water.

ScarlettIsWalking Tue 28-Jun-11 12:39:46

Please please no - there could be newborns or pg women there or elderly people. It is a really irresponsible thing to do.

FlubbaBubba Tue 28-Jun-11 12:53:40

OP said almost 3 hrs ago she wouldn't. Asked for opinions, was given them, acted on them. smile

biscuit

PeppermintPanda Tue 28-Jun-11 13:49:00

Risingstar, DD2 has had the CP vaccination, to hopefully avoid her picking it up and passing it on to DD1. Doesn't always work though, so she could still catch it, and although she probably would have it very mildly, could still pass it on. DD1 isn't having any vaccinations atm because her immune system wouldn't respond sufficiently to protect her, meaning she'd have to have them all again later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now