Talk

Advanced search

To be upset that the hospital is taking so long to give DS an appointment?!

(10 Posts)
DarlingDuck Tue 28-Jun-11 09:42:46

Went to see doctor 6 weeks ago as DS (3) was losing weight, vomitting and had chronic stomach pains. He reffered us to the paediatric department at the hospital.

Over the weekend DS had 2 allergic reactions, firslty to raw egg and the next day to houmous. Both times his lips, eyes and face in general swelled up and his throat hurt, he also came up in hives around his eyes and mouth.

I contacted the doctor again as I think this may have been the route of his health problems she said she'd put on a note on the referal. Just phoned hospital today to see whats going on and they haven't issued an appointment yet, even when they do it can be 12 weeks before you are seen... I'm really worried and not sure what he can/can't eat and am scared he's going to have an anphylactic reaction

strandedbear Tue 28-Jun-11 09:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DarlingDuck Tue 28-Jun-11 09:46:50

I've heard nut allergies get worse with each exposure...

myBOYSareBONKERS Tue 28-Jun-11 10:06:55

Did you take him to A&E when he swelled up??? Would be my first point of call as they would probably admit him and run tests.

Get some piriton syrup for at home.

Avoid raw eggs and nuts. Read the packaging on anything you will give him.

DarlingDuck Tue 28-Jun-11 11:18:03

I called NHS direct and they said to put him in a cold shower and keep and eye and call back if he couldn't breathe!

Would it be unreasonable to try and get app. hurried along?

BarbarianMum Tue 28-Jun-11 11:28:27

I don't know why everyone is telling you to avoid nuts (although if you haven't yet given him peanuts I would suggest now is not the time to start) - if he is reacting to hummus then it may be the chickpeas, or the sesame.

Is he OK with other pulses/beans?

The waiting lists for allergies are horrendous, I'm afraid - especially for a first appointment, although it does get better thereafter.

What has your GP prescribed for him? Piriton? If not buy some over the counter. Give it at the first sign of a reaction BUT any breathing difficulties, swelling of throat/lips/mouth (listen for wheezing, rasping or changes in his voice) or sudden drowsiness CALL 999. This is very important because you have no epipen so can't afford to wait to see how a reaction is going to go.

Have you tried the allergies board here? It is very helpful?

Oh, and YANBU by the way.

dreamingbohemian Tue 28-Jun-11 11:54:11

YANBU

It should not take 18 weeks for a sick child to see a pediatrician, that's ridiculous. I would keep calling, perhaps at different times of the day to see if you can get someone more helpful (this worked for me at our hospital's appointment phone line).

Admittedly I don't have experience with child allergies, but I would take him to A&E if he has another serious reaction, how can you manage his diet and illness if you don't even know what's causing the problem? It's one thing to sit tight if you know you have a ped appointment in 2 weeks but if you're looking at months, well, you need to do what's best for your boy.

I hope he feels better soon, poor lad.

Snowjive Tue 28-Jun-11 12:27:26

YANBU at all!

Hummus contains sesame and chickpeas, both of which can be highly allergenic, so best to avoid them. Also, chickpeas are part of the same family as peanuts, so it is best to avoid nuts too. And egg, of course.

Agree with BarbarianMum on what to do if a reaction starts. Piriton, Benadryl or Zirtek (any cetirizine hydrochloride syrup, basically) can all be bought over the counter, but call 999 without hesitation if a reaction doesn't clear up very quickly indeed or if he develops swollen mouth/throat, breathing difficulty or sudden drowsiness.

Even if the reaction subsides with Piriton etc, I'd take him to A&E - it sounds like that's your best chance of getting some allergy testing quickly or at least a prescription for an epipen so you don't have this worry.

myBOYSareBONKERS Tue 28-Jun-11 14:07:34

a cold shower??? what would that do????

I am a nurse and when someone is having an allergic reaction we certainly don't put them in a cold shower!! Its a completely different type of swelling to that of a sprain !!

DarlingDuck Tue 28-Jun-11 14:15:23

Result! I called the doctor and she has prescribed me an epi pen and told me to avoid all kinds of nuts and is going to hurry the app. along, will have to read all labels carefully until we know if it's all nuts/legumes or just sesame confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now