Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think that all those striking on thursday are being selfish and greedy?

(536 Posts)
hellospoon Tue 28-Jun-11 06:36:57

And they should be thankful that they even have a job?

In a day where thousands of people are unemployed and living in poor conditions surely these teachers should be thankful they even have a job!

Many parents are having to take leave, some unpaid I presume the effect that it will have on family's is ridiculous.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 28-Jun-11 06:40:10

YABU as they were expecting one thing and appear to be getting another. However, the country is in a terrible financial state and everyone is going to have to take a hit.

Numberfour Tue 28-Jun-11 06:40:36

YABU.

magicmummy1 Tue 28-Jun-11 06:40:38

YABU

MaxineQuordlepleen Tue 28-Jun-11 06:40:57

Yes, you are being unreasonable, not to mention offensive.

HowlingBitch Tue 28-Jun-11 06:42:24

"I presume the effect that it will have on family's is ridiculous."

How do you think teachers feel and the effect it will have on their lived and future? Just because you have a secure job does not mean you should let the government mess around with it. That is a pretty slippery slope for society IMO.

BuxomWenchOnAPony Tue 28-Jun-11 06:42:31

YABU.

and a bit thick

thatsenough Tue 28-Jun-11 06:42:56

YABU

ChairOfTheBored Tue 28-Jun-11 06:44:39

Yes. Hope this helps.

Grockle Tue 28-Jun-11 06:48:23

YABU

Striking teachers will also lose a day's pay and none I know want to strike anyway

27tilly Tue 28-Jun-11 06:50:31

YABVVVU

travellingwilbury Tue 28-Jun-11 06:53:31

YABU , and yes I am losing a days pay so I can stay home , but I am still in support of the teachers .

exoticfruits Tue 28-Jun-11 06:54:56

YABU (all that seems to matter is that you are being inconvenienced-do you have the least idea what they are doing to pensions?)

NorfolkNChance Tue 28-Jun-11 06:55:47

YABU

Why should we all race to the bottom? Unions have fought hard for rights that workers currently enjoy across many sectors throughout history.

exoticfruits Tue 28-Jun-11 06:57:34

In fact I find YABVVU and it is amost irritating OP ,as if they should be so grateful to have a job that they will not give a toss for what happens after working 40yrs or so.

Whorulestheroost Tue 28-Jun-11 06:57:37

Yes yabvu clearly you have no idea what you are talking about

Abgirl Tue 28-Jun-11 06:59:12

YABU all the teachers I know work v hard to deliver a great education to children, and would earn a lot more if they'd gone into the private sector - they are all post-qualified graduates. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a good pension? It's not just about your inconvenience.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 28-Jun-11 07:02:19

YHB reading the Daily Mail?

WolfShapedBullet Tue 28-Jun-11 07:02:47

YAB very U.

Animation Tue 28-Jun-11 07:03:18

The pension rate for teachers right now is around 11 K.

Believe me that's pretty good compared to what private sectar workers expect to get for their contributions.

Wake up teachers - this is the REAL world right now!

LadySharrow Tue 28-Jun-11 07:04:41

YABU.

There are always people worse of, and better of, than oneself. You can use the argument to justify cutting anyone's wages or benefits as we are all lucky not to be desitute.

Teachers know that pensions will have to change, but the government refuses to publish the actuarial analysis that's overdue by two years to show us the figures. We suspect that 'everyone is living longer' actually means 'but we'd also like to use your pensions to help deal with the deficit'. I am sorry if you think that is selfish and greedy, but many teachers are raising families themselves. I know no-one who went into teaching to get rich.

Animation Tue 28-Jun-11 07:05:10

"entitled to a good pension."

Who are getting good pensions these days?

mummytime Tue 28-Jun-11 07:05:28

YABU - I think the teachers have timed this very carefully, so its after GCSEs. During the time when all schools are winding down a bit. So will have minimal effect on education, it maybe tricky for some working parents, but I'm sure there are ways around it.

NorfolkNChance Tue 28-Jun-11 07:07:22

Well put LadySparrow

Cookster Tue 28-Jun-11 07:07:28

YANBU. I was e

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now