to hate it when people 'baby' talk to DD

(67 Posts)
strandedbear Mon 27-Jun-11 22:42:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

glassescase Mon 27-Jun-11 22:46:08

YABU she is doing her best

WhoahThere Mon 27-Jun-11 22:47:31

YANBU.

The other day I was in the chemist (shop, not the actual chemist) and a woman started chatting to DD - she actually used the words 'handy-wandies', 'footsy--wootsies' and 'leggy-weggies'. Unbelievable.

nulgirl Mon 27-Jun-11 22:48:31

If you had said that she was 8 years old I would have been inclined to agree but I think that you are way overstressing. It won't damage her having her granny speaking to her like that and it seems like it is done in a loving and affectionate way.

thursday Mon 27-Jun-11 22:48:43

YANBU, i opened the thread thinking i was going to disagree with you as i generally find anti-baby talk a bit hysterical and OTT, but yes, that sort of thing does annoy me. my FIL taught DS to say 'chimley' instead of chimney (which he previously pronounced fine) and i cant get him to stop now angry

basingstoke Mon 27-Jun-11 22:48:50

motherese

Some say it aids cognitive development. Others disagree. TOTALLY not worth exploding over...

eurochick Mon 27-Jun-11 22:49:16

YANBU. How can she be expected to learn to use language properly if she hears some nonsense version of pidgin English spoken to her

strandedbear Mon 27-Jun-11 22:49:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

basingstoke Mon 27-Jun-11 22:52:08

She doesn't need to hear her speak 'properly'. Motherese is very common indeed (even if the jury is out on its universality) and there is evidence that it aids, rather than hinders, language development.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 27-Jun-11 22:52:27

YABU. It's natural to talk like that to babies. Why do you think people do it? I never heard of a single example of a child being developmentally delayed because of it.

FreudianSlipper Mon 27-Jun-11 22:55:05

yuk babytalk makes me want to vomit

my mum does this too and his other granny, both baby ds. i do not interfere as for both he is the only grandchild and they love him to bits, it does not harm ds just bugs me

the worse thing my mum does if he falls over she will tell the floor, chair or whatever he has hit off, naughty chair, naughty floor i jsut have to walk away

though i do talk to ds in a little voice, i have never used baby talk

Kvetch Mon 27-Jun-11 23:15:25

YANBU. I used to correct my mother all the time ("Look at the gee-gees, DGD! Would you like some bread and buppy with that?"), ARGH!

Bread and fecking buppy indeed!

The plus side is that if you keep correcting your mother eventually your DD will too. grin

diggingintheribs Mon 27-Jun-11 23:22:51

YABU

Agree that it helps them learn

eg if a child hears 'dog' they may not hear the 'g', by saying 'doggy' it emphasises this sound

They are learning to make sounds so they need to be exposed to a wide range and it is easier for them if you break down words

Now if your child is 16, that's a different issue!

halcyondays Mon 27-Jun-11 23:34:35

YABU, it's no big deal and won't hinder her speech development in any way. Plenty of people use baby talk, I see no problem with it. Reminds me of how, years ago people used to worry that children's speech would be affected by watching Bill and Ben.

Darnsarfupnorf Mon 27-Jun-11 23:39:07

YANBU mil says bok- meaning bottle......i HATE it!!!!!! what is so hard with saying bottle?! thats what it is!!! next time she says it im going to say something angry

Muckyhighchair Mon 27-Jun-11 23:39:18

My father in law taught my son to count 1,2,6 in one weekend, aaargh

After I spent ages teaching him 1,2,3 etc

I really can't stand baby talk, all they have to do is relearn it, later on, and in some cases they never do i.e chavs

lesley33 Tue 28-Jun-11 08:02:48

I agree with posters who are unhappy about someone teaching their DC the wrong words e.g. 1,2 and 6. However, there is lots of evidence to show baby talk helps children to develop good language skills. Young children learn language better from the baby talk and slightly higher voice than they do if we speak to them as an adult would speak to another adult. That is why so many people naturally talk to babies like this.

So YANBU not to like baby talk. But YABU to want to stop people talking to your young child/baby like this.

CrapolaDeVille Tue 28-Jun-11 08:04:19

A friend of mine used to say 'pippies' for crisps.....omg.

bruffin Tue 28-Jun-11 08:04:34

YABU
Baby talk comes very naturally to most people , so there must be a reason why we all do it ie aiding speach development. Research seems to bear that out as well.

NoobyNoob Tue 28-Jun-11 08:08:57

YABU! Do you talk to your baby (as that's what she is BTW) as an adult then?

I ask if DS wants his napnap changing - he knows full well what it means and really, it's not that much different from nappy is it?

I'm one of those really annoying parents who does baby talk, and I@m quite happy to continue doing so.

kickingking Tue 28-Jun-11 08:15:46

I don't like baby talk and never did it with DS. He didn't say a word til he was 22 months.

Maybe I was wrong grin

tazmin Tue 28-Jun-11 08:24:48

you are right OP

maybe she should give her a slap and tell her to shut the fuck up instead of being loving and kind and caring smile

Jude89 Tue 28-Jun-11 08:36:41

My mum still refers to teeth as toothy-pegs and hands as handy-paws and helicopters as bellypoppers

I can talk fine (in case you were worried)

mousesma Tue 28-Jun-11 08:40:47

YABU babies like babytalk and if it hindered development none of us would be able to talk properly.

WuzzAndBuddy Tue 28-Jun-11 08:50:15

YANBU.

You can be loving and caring without making up silly words...
Its not the intonation and pitch of motherese thats annoying, its the made up words.
I talk to babies and toddlers in a different way to how I would talk to an adult but I couldn't bring myself to say 'baby go bo-bos' instead of 'going for a sleep', or my Dads favourite, even now DS is 4... 'Oooh look at the dick-dicks!' ... DS gives my Dad 'the look' and says 'Grandad! They're birds!!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now