Talk

Advanced search

to ask if pubic hair at 9 is normal?

(21 Posts)
branstonsandcheese Mon 27-Jun-11 22:37:44

DS had a couple of wispy armpit hairs a few weeks ago, I noticed them while doing a smell-check! We were chatting today and he mentioned he has some on his crotch - and he does! Loads!

DH thinks this is massively too early and we should take him to the doctor, the internet says it is early-ish and that his testicles should grow before he gets pubic hair (I don't think they look any different). But I don't want to take him to the doctor and scar him for life or anything - my mother took me along for my stretch marks and that was horrible and shaming. So we are being very 'cool whatever' about it at home.

He has occasionally-greasy skin, stinky sweat, absolutely NO 'emotional' signs of puberty (many of his peers are very interested in boobs, fancying etc).

I don't really know any other children his age - I don't really feel close enough to his classmate's mums to ask(!!!) and most of my friends have daughters...

lubeybooby Mon 27-Jun-11 22:38:49

I remember underarm hair and the beginnings of pubes at ten. I think it's most probably within the realms of normal

molemesseskilledIpom Mon 27-Jun-11 22:39:52

It's normal, it all happens around that age.

RevoltingPeasant Mon 27-Jun-11 22:40:55

I think it is normal but early. I don't have DCs yet so that is my patchy remembering of health class from about 15 years ago though....

tbh what does your DH think could possibly be wrong with him? Or rather, what does he want a GP to do - stop him developing for another couple of years?

Surely it's just one of those things - as long as he seems healthy, leave him to it....?

branstonsandcheese Mon 27-Jun-11 22:42:40

I developed quite early but am a girl.

I suspect DH was a late starter. And/or he's freaking out at the concept of DS starting puberty - 9 does seem young to be starting the transition. Mind you he can do stroppy teenager already smile

reelingintheyears Mon 27-Jun-11 22:43:18

RevoltingPeasant is right....

Normal but early.

Can i ask why you were doing a smell check?

Disasterpiece Mon 27-Jun-11 22:44:45

Its normal, please dont take him tot he doctor, youll only embarrass him and he might not be so trusting anymore.

Just keep being really cool about it all, have lots of chats, maybe get him some books and let him know he can ask you whatever you want. Answer things as honestly as you can.

That advice might be shit though, my DS is only a toddler and as much as I hope to be able to act all cool and help him with any questions he may have I can imagine myself going bright red, making up some shitty excuse to leave the room quicjkly and cringing at myself in a pillow for half an hour.

usualsuspect Mon 27-Jun-11 22:45:45

This is not really an AIBU question is it?

RevoltingPeasant Mon 27-Jun-11 22:46:00

grin at smell check.

I do those on DP sometimes because after we're in bed it's too late.

Also preteen boys are sometimes not fans of washing.

branstonsandcheese Mon 27-Jun-11 22:49:30

usualsuspect (and others I am sure) - you are right, and I actually saw the current thread on AIBU-suitability and cringed. I'm sorry and I won't do it again.

DS was being very insistent he didn't need a shower after karate - he really did though. He doesn't 'get' the point of personal hygeine 100% yet.

usualsuspect Mon 27-Jun-11 22:51:14

fair enough grin

forum police over and out

HowlingBitch Mon 27-Jun-11 22:51:25

Ok I read that COMPLETELY wrong (I thought you were smelling DSs crotch but I am very tired) grin

I say don't make a big fuss really. Nothing to be overly concerned about. smile

branstonsandcheese Mon 27-Jun-11 22:55:02

EWwwwww no no no crotch-smelling here. I've tried to stay away from that end of things since he was out of nappies grin

HowlingBitch Mon 27-Jun-11 22:57:13

grin grin

Thank goodness!

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 27-Jun-11 22:57:59

Yabu.

reelingintheyears Mon 27-Jun-11 22:58:50

Blimey you lot.....

I thought she was sniffing his armpits.....

TheSparrow Mon 27-Jun-11 22:59:10

9 is early for girls, very early for boys: Possibly sign of hormonal disorder.

Speak to GP: if he / she thinks it warrants investigation, discuss what investigation entails, then sell it to DS as routine blood test / urine test / exam / whatever.

Chances are 99% it's within normal limits and its all OK; but if I were you, I would get professional confirmation.

Driftwood999 Mon 27-Jun-11 23:08:54

Within your home, under your roof; one should always sniff at the "health" of the family/household, that is very appropriate. Then decide on whatever action is necessary.

omaoma Mon 27-Jun-11 23:20:20

FWIW - starting periods at 9 is improbable but does happen and apparently moreso now that girls are gaining weight younger.

If you're worried about scaring your son for life, why not go see the GP yourself without him, explain the issue - if it's v unusual and there is a possibility of some kind of hormone imbalance they'll soon tell you and then you can do a job of ensuring they deal with it very tactfully.

omaoma Mon 27-Jun-11 23:20:57

sorry my first point was to show that puberty can start that early! not to suggest your son will be starting his period... smile

porcamiseria Tue 28-Jun-11 08:52:34

sorry but its just a tad inappropriate to mention this topic in aIBU, more for your sons sake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now