Talk

Advanced search

To hand my notice in tomorrow?

(19 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 19:29:46

I've got two different jobs, my main job which is three days a week. Then a different job which is one day a week.

I don't really enjoy my one day a week job. I'm the only person doing the job so get a load of external agencies chasing me on my days off, I don't have a desk or an office so my car is full of folders, etc. The people I'm supposed to be helping don't seem bothered and I spend five hours of my day chasing people and only do two hours actual work. Not exaggerating. My boss isn't bothered but I find it stressful that I'm being so ineffective even though I know it's not my fault.

Dh is of the opinion that if my employer is prepared to pay me for not much work then just take the money. But I worry all week about it. Final straw was last week when nobody turned up for my class. I'm still chasing members of my last course to hand their folders in. We finished the course in feb. I'm literally knocking on their doors trying to get hold of them. Just fed up to the back teeth with it.

Don't need the money for bills, etc. But £300 a month is still a lot to kiss goodbye to. I've got quite used to not having to worry if I see some nice shoes, etc. But I'm now at the stage where I think I'd rather have my sanity and some more free time than guilt free shopping trips.

Though I do worry with the price of everything going up I'll regret it in a year or so. But I can normally pick up extra hours in my other job to cover sickness, etc.

Flisspaps Mon 27-Jun-11 19:30:53

Your sanity is worth more than £. YANBU.

omaoma Mon 27-Jun-11 19:31:54

Hand in your notice. No amount of money can make up for a really shit job that eats into your non-working life and raises your stress levels. I walked away from a really well-paid job last year, best thing I ever did.

You'll get something else or increase your other hours soon enough - and even if not, the lack of mental strain will more than make up for £300/month.

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 27-Jun-11 19:32:22

I think you've answered your own question really... If you can manage without the money or can make it up doing more hours in your main job, I'd say you'd be doing the right thing to resign. If it's causing you that much stress, it's probably not worth it.

Also, you could be giving the work to someone who needs it more (if you wanted to put an altruistic bent on it) grin

Rockerchic Mon 27-Jun-11 19:34:08

I agree with flisspants your sanity is more important, if you can afford to jack it in then do it. Good luck OP smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 19:34:51

I think if I didn't give a shit it could be the easiest, cushiest job in the world. I can roll in when I want, do two hours teaching at some point and the toss it off round the office for the rest of the day making the odd phone call. But I'm not like that. Dh thinks I'm bonkers. Especially as with my other job I complain that I'm stressed as it's so busy, no breaks, don't have time for a wee, etc!

Rockerchic Mon 27-Jun-11 19:38:15

Only you know what to do and all we can do is advise.
You know in your gut what's the best thing go do. Is it worth all the worry and probably the sleepless nights?

FakePlasticTrees Mon 27-Jun-11 19:42:48

If you quit the 1 day a week job, would that mean you have more time to cope with your main career? Could you look for other work?

I'd quit it if you can afford to.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 19:54:28

I dont really need more time for my other career apart from the fact it would mean I could do some extra shifts which at the minute I dont have time for. But it's not the sort of job where you take work home with you. Once you've finished your day then you're done.

I'd have time to have art lessons which I've always wanted to do. Or do more cooking or maybe learn to crochet.

threefeethighandrising Mon 27-Jun-11 20:51:31

Do it!

I quit my full-time job a few years back, as I was fed up with the place (very dysfunctional small business with internal politics galore). I had no idea what I would do next when I quit. But then I then found a course I liked the look of, and a part-time job to tide me over. The course was an Access course, which led to university as a (very!) mature student. I'm now more skint than I've been in a decade, but happier than I've been in longer than I can remember. Study is great if it's a subject you love grin

£300 a month is just not worth the stress if you don't need it. Get that bit of yourself back, and enrol on that course!

Omigawd Mon 27-Jun-11 20:55:37

Which pays more -another day at the other job, or this job? Sounds like you could run the 1 day with far less work than you do though, so it might be worth thinking through how to do that. Just don't feel so guilty smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 21:13:53

Both jobs pay the same so I should be able go make the same money back if I can pick up extra days. I suppose only thing is these extra days may be a bit hit and miss, they don't always need cover but it seems like they do quite a bit.

But even if I didn't get extra work all the time we could manage. At the minute the pay from my one day a week job goes straight into a savings account which is looking healthy at the minute. Suppose I'm a bit worried I may start depleting it!

LoveMyGirls Mon 27-Jun-11 21:20:28

In your position I would quit especially as you say you would use the time to do an art course, speaking as someone who would also love to find time to do an art course and is always trying to cram in time and energy to paint I would quit in a heart beat in your shoes. However in my shoes the chances of me quitting any job any time soon in order to follow my dream is slim to none because we really need the money SO if you can't do it for you do it for me wink grin

pointythings Mon 27-Jun-11 21:40:35

Go for it, do the art course, do more cooking - the de-stressing will make it easier for you to cope with your 'real' job. Just control the shoe habit. <slinks Imelda Marcosly away into the distance>

hurryup Mon 27-Jun-11 21:46:07

Do it, I'd love to do the same tomorrow for the same reasons. My 2nd job is too stressful to make the money worthwhile. It makes me snappy with the children and generally fed up. However, I need to find another job soon and then you won't see me for dust!!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 21:47:55

Right, am going to do it. grin. Thanks.

Will sign up for an art course in sept!

threefeethighandrising Mon 27-Jun-11 23:21:41

Yay! Good luck smile

I hope you find a great art class. Have you had a look at what's available near you yet?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Jun-11 15:29:01

I did it! Feels like such a relief. grin

My mum goes to art lessons and really rates her teacher so think I'll see if she does a beginner class.

threefeethighandrising Tue 28-Jun-11 15:45:08

Congratulations! Well done VivaLaBeaver grin grin grin

I'm envy about the art classes by the way. I love what I'm doing now, but if I had some more time an art class would be wonderful.

I'm convinced you need to keep using your creative side to keep it alive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now