Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be pleased that Serena and Venus are both out?

(122 Posts)
grovel Mon 27-Jun-11 17:09:16

I was getting bored with their dominance.

LadyThumb Mon 27-Jun-11 17:11:14

Oooh you'vwe made my day. I knew Serena was out (saw that with great relish), but not the other. I am really pleased!

euphrosyne Mon 27-Jun-11 17:12:38

grin

Illegitimate Mon 27-Jun-11 17:16:00

yanbu

They come across as very arrogant and dismissive of other women players in interviews ive seen. I tend not to watch when they play

dontquotem3 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:17:12

biscuit

JoySzasz Mon 27-Jun-11 17:17:31

No YANBU at all!

We are every happy in this house too,I am especially delighted to see the back of Serena!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 27-Jun-11 17:23:42

Nope, YANBU

Over the moon here that all of the Williams's will soon be leaving on a jet plane. I might even bother to watch the women's tennis now I know I'm in no danger of catching sight of those two

See other current tennis thread for shock at the stupid outfit Venus chose to make her exit in - for that alone she deserved to lose.

YADNBU - I was cheering Pironkova on, whilst mumsnetting at the same time! I agree that they seem very arrogant (as does their father) - but one of my main reasons for wanting Venus out was that ridiculous romper-suit thing she's been wearing. If I had designed something as naff as that, I wouldn't be advertising the fact by wearing it at the biggest grand slam tournament! [shallow emoticon]

Snap, izzywhizzy!!

Nancy66 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:40:10

Also glad they're out....totally bored with their 'is it your turn to win or mine?' finals....

chocolatehobnobs Mon 27-Jun-11 17:41:48

Delighted. Serena was so churlish the other day complaining about being on Court 2. And I agree her outfit was hideous

Meglet Mon 27-Jun-11 17:42:27

yabu.

cat64 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:43:57

Message withdrawn

Giselle99 Mon 27-Jun-11 18:48:23

I can't bear people who lump their characters together. It's just lazy. Serena is arrogant (with 13 slams she can afford to be) but Venus has always been very warm and modest.

glassescase Mon 27-Jun-11 19:30:41

Glad to see the back...might watch now

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 27-Jun-11 19:31:53

Ohh good!!!

They've had their day....
Never particularly liked them..found their playing rather dull tbh.

trixymalixy Mon 27-Jun-11 19:32:50

Yanbu, the women's final is rubbish when it's a william's double act.

creighton Mon 27-Jun-11 20:12:10

dear me! the Williams sisters were never unbeatable so how comes they were always in finals? You can't blame them for wanting the trophy more than the other players. As for their arrogance, they have lots to be arrogant about becoming champions without being part of the country club set or being brought up on Pimms. If they were nice white girls from the Home Counties none of you would ever tire of them.

bubblecoral Mon 27-Jun-11 20:20:19

No, they don't have a reason to be arrogant, it's not a nice trait in anyone.

I'm glad they're out too, and I don't even watch the tennis.

creighton Mon 27-Jun-11 20:24:38

If you don't watch tennis, why are you glad they are out?

learningtofly Mon 27-Jun-11 20:30:28

Well the Williams sisters have been a powerhouse in the ladies game and very dominant at Wimbledon for many years so all credit to them for that.

However in true British style I do like to support an under dog ;)

tazmin Mon 27-Jun-11 20:33:37

yes unreasonable about the williams

now if you said are you unreasonable to want andy murray out, i would be fully behind you smile cant wait to see the back of the miserable arse

creighton Mon 27-Jun-11 20:34:24

why is it good that they are out when the grunters, screechers and faceless Eastern European clones are still in the competition. What about the girl who was deemed to be rude to her father, is she still in, is that okay?

You must all be so relieved that the right sort of person will win the tournament this year!

trixymalixy Mon 27-Jun-11 20:38:23

The women's final is just not that good to watch when they are playing each other. There's no tension or excitement, and I'd feel the same no matter where they were from or what colour their skin was!!

What an odd thing to say creighton.

learningtofly Mon 27-Jun-11 20:39:44

But that's what's good about Grand slams, things don't always go as expected. And its been widely reported that the Williams sisters have been selective about the matches and tournaments they've played recently (i think due to injury).

Still mix things up a little, will make a change. I'm sure they will return next year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now