We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

... to think that fad diets are largely silly and encourage an unhealthy attitude to food

(8 Posts)
Bennifer Mon 27-Jun-11 17:07:14

I've been on diets, and although I can see the weight loss might be a little faster if I cut out the carbs or the white rice, or the flour, etc, etc, etc, generally when I've wanted to lose weight, eating healthily (and we all know what that means) and doing a little more exercise has worked.

TrilllianAstra Mon 27-Jun-11 17:10:30

Isn't that the definition of "fad"? grin

If you think a diet is sensible then you woudn't call it a fad diet.

Unless you have IBS and PCOS - it stops being such a fad and more of a necessity!

worraliberty Mon 27-Jun-11 17:22:20

I agree OP.

If diets worked long term, people wouldn't have to keep going on diets.

NotaDisneyMum Mon 27-Jun-11 17:24:01

No, YANBU - I've done my fair share of fad diets; although not the really extreme ones (which are downright dangerous imo) - but it is only in the last two years I have finally lost the weight I started to put on in my early 20's (I'm 38).

I haven't dieted, counted calories or cut out certain food groups. Coming off hormone contraception has played a part, as has a healthy, natural diet (using fresh ingredients, not pre-prepared chilled/frozen) and a more active lifestyle.
I lost two dress sizes in 18 months (size 20 to Size 16), and have gone down another size in the last 2 months after being made redundant from my 9-5 desk job.

I can honestly say that in that time I have not gone without - I still eat and drink what I fancy when I want it! I share a bottle of wine at weekends, have days when I indulge chocolate cravings, and as a newly established caterer, I am always testing and tasting new dishes.

I have noticed that since I cut out processed foods from my daily diet, I no longer enjoy them - so won't accept the offer of a biscuit with coffee, or an egg McMuffin over a working breakfast because I won't enjoy it - and even things like Elmlea tend to taste eugh to me now.

If I'd read this two years ago, I would have been sceptical - but it really has worked for me, and I'm loving it!

thursday Mon 27-Jun-11 17:27:57

its not diets at fault, generally speaking. some people do well on fad diets, but i think more people doing something extreme get to the end and havent learnt how to eat normal healthy diet and can slip back into old ways. the fad way of losing weight still works, but reverting back to how you ate before will only result in ending up weighing what you did before. i know full well i would be that type, so i'm doing it the long winded way as i want it to be a one way process!

BluddyMoFo Mon 27-Jun-11 17:29:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FellatioNelson Mon 27-Jun-11 21:59:45

I think a fad diet is only eating baby food, or only eating maple syrup and cayenne pepper. There is nothinbg faddy about avoiding unnecessary and damaging levels of processed simple carbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now