Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if you would consider an (average sized and healthy) 8 year old to be a "small child"?

(42 Posts)
DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 16:36:02

I have an acquaintance who has one 8 year old DS. She often talks about life with a small child/refers to him as a small boy/says other things that would be more usual coming from the parent of a 3yo.

It doesn't bother me, but I would never have thought of an 8yo as a small child.

She is otherwise lovely and this is not my biggest issue in life. I'm also perfectly willing to be told that he is, in fact, tiny.

BadRoly Mon 27-Jun-11 16:37:37

Depends - I am sure when my eldest is 16 and my youngest 8 - he will be referred to as the small boy...

worraliberty Mon 27-Jun-11 16:42:03

I do consider an 8yr old to be a small child...but that's cos I've got a 12yr old and a 19yr old.

When my eldest was little, I doubt I would have considered an 8yr old to be a small child so I guess it's all relevant to your situation.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 16:44:21

Well, DD1 is 6, DS is 5 and DD2 is 1.

I only consider DD2 to be small...

Perhaps I am odd!

halcyondays Mon 27-Jun-11 16:46:12

No, I wouldn't consider an 8 year old a small child, I've seen 8 year olds that are nearly as tall as me! It's all relative though, dd2 is 3 and I still think of her as my baby, but when dd2 was 3 she seemed like such a big girl.

Hulababy Mon 27-Jun-11 16:46:26

DD is 9y and I would refer to her as a young girl, although not a small or little girl - but is there much difference really?

I'd never tell an 8y to their face they were a small or little girl/boy though - most would hate it!

Groovee Mon 27-Jun-11 16:47:56

My 8 year old is small, he's only 113cm and his peers are nearly as tall as me at 5ft.

JoySzasz Mon 27-Jun-11 16:48:47

Is there more to this wink

Sounds a little like you think she babies him perhaps?

If I am wrong -sorry in advance smile

tazmin Mon 27-Jun-11 16:48:50

compared with my children who are in their 20s i would say yes 8 is a small child

worraliberty Mon 27-Jun-11 16:49:36

Ahh but when your DD2 is 8, your DS is 12 and your DD1 is 13....you may start to consider your DD2 as a small child.

Then again, you may not...who knows grin

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 16:50:15

No, Joy! Not more to it at all.

She's a brilliant parent.

Kvetch Mon 27-Jun-11 16:51:37

No, I wouldn't consider an 8 yo a small child. That term is one I'd use for a 3 or 4 year old.

MamaChoo Mon 27-Jun-11 16:52:42

YABU. In terms of some of the limitations on her freedom/ demands on time and money, eg she would still need a babysitter if she wanted to go out, he would still require a lot of supervision on holiday, then yes, he's still a small boy and would impact her life as such.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 16:53:30

Actually, worra, was thinking about this the other day.

When DS was born, everyone was saying "oh, I bet you find DD1 huge now" and the like, and I didn't, cause she was only 1.

On reflection, even pre DC, I think I sort of have always thought of children over 4 or 5 as "not small".

However, I may well just be odd and am perfectly happy to accept that!

JoySzasz Mon 27-Jun-11 16:53:30

daisy smile

DurhamDurham Mon 27-Jun-11 16:53:58

It's all relative, my two are 18 and 14 so and so an 8 year old would be a small child to me.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 16:55:00

MamaChoo "YABU "

I am BU to wonder if you would consider an (average sized and healthy) 8 year old to be a "small child"? confused

worraliberty Mon 27-Jun-11 16:58:56

Well you did ask "AIBU?" grin

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 17:01:22

Yes, but I asked "AIBU to wonder"... grin

I thought I was being mad clever altogether.

Apparently not. <Wanders off humming nonchalantly>

bullet234 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:04:11

It does depend on the child. Ds1 is almost 8, but as part of his ASD he is very young for his age and his behaviour is usually more consistent with that of a much younger child. So I do still think of him as little. But I'd never tell him that grin.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 27-Jun-11 17:11:29

It might depend on the context. If its in the context of suitable DVDs/games/bedtime - maybe.

Generally I'd say up to the end of KS1 is 'small child'. There does seem to be something of a step change in most of them when they hit juniors and occasionally may have a modicum of sense grin

pointydog Mon 27-Jun-11 17:13:44

Yeah, I'd think it was ok to refer to an 8 year old as a small child, in those general terms.

Don't see your problem, daisy

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 17:16:27

I don't have a problem with it, pointydog. I was just looking for a general consensus. grin

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Mon 27-Jun-11 17:19:24

It has also occurred to me that I may just think of smallness/smallhood/smallity in a very literal sense. I think if I couldn't comfortably carry a child for over a mile, I would consider him/her to not be small.

blush

I have a tall 7 yo, who's definitely not small in the literal sense but for me, as the 'baby' of the family (have also a ginormous 13yo and a largish 11yo) is small as in young.

If someone asked me if I had a small child I'd mention her, but say she's not very small (does any of that make sense? I suppose I'm saying that a 7/8yo is on the cusp of 'smallness')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now