Talk

Advanced search

to have been a little weirded out by this

(70 Posts)
strandedbear Mon 27-Jun-11 09:43:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-Jun-11 09:46:39

Because its anthropologically interesting.

No different than taking photos of tribes people or folk in national dress.

spookshowangel Mon 27-Jun-11 09:47:24

when i was in china i took pictures of Asian children. other peoples children are cute and especially if they are of a different ethnicity than you. the parents were very happy to have there children cooed over and have their picture taken. so they prob didnt see the problem.

wordsonapage Mon 27-Jun-11 09:47:58

We're in the ME and dd is regularly patted on the head.Shes 7 now but still gets called "bebe"
She must have appeared in countless random photos.

Take it as a compliment.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 09:48:19

maybe they weren't from the UK -more likely to be tourists that do it

sometimes people do it for visa applications though, "this is the family I will be staying with" etc

though I think that doesn't happen so often here

tazmin Mon 27-Jun-11 09:48:36

dont people get wound up by some odd things on here hmm

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 27-Jun-11 09:48:59

Were they Japanese? Apparently it's quite a normal thing in Japan to get photos taken with western children, especially if the child is blonde!

ruddynorah Mon 27-Jun-11 09:49:19

We went to the lakes a while ago with baby ds and 4 year old dd. We took a lakes cruise that was full if Japanese tourists. They took tons of pics of the dc. They said they were very cute and I expect something of a novelty with their blonde curly hair.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 09:49:29

it's not odd to be weirded out by complete strangers wanting a photo of your children

i think it's quite normal to be taken aback

ruddynorah Mon 27-Jun-11 09:49:36

X post!

RevoltingPeasant Mon 27-Jun-11 09:49:38

How old is your DD? If she's too young to mind, is it a problem? If she's old enough to feel shy about it, then YANBU.

Tchootnika Mon 27-Jun-11 09:50:19

At least she had the courtesy to ask if it was OK. Have been with friends (erm, not sleb ones...) when people have literally shoved cameras in their faces and fired away, bebause they thought friends looked 'interesting'. Bee-zarre.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 09:50:40

I don't like it myself and I don't like taking pictures of other people's children abroad. It's pushy.

CareyHunt Mon 27-Jun-11 09:53:35

All my dc's were very blonde and we travelled quite alot with them. They were always being photographed by people, particularily in Arabic or Asian countries. It's just a cultural thing I guess, the whole blue eyes/ blonde hair thing is a novelty.

strandedbear Mon 27-Jun-11 09:54:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 09:56:34

Lone disenting voice here then. OP, YANBU. I lost count of the number of times people tried to photograph DD when we lived in both Oman and Thailand.
It always felt wrong somehow. I don't see kiddy fiddlers on every street corner, but I honestly didn't like it.
DD was able to say mai mee or mai owh before she could say hello in Thai.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 09:59:04

no I'm with you

Morloth Mon 27-Jun-11 10:06:00

There are photos of my two boys all over the planet.

What can I say, they look like angels, all blonde curls, rosy cheeks and huge blue eyes. Of course people want a photo with them. wink

Nothing bad will happen if some tourists take a photo of your kid.

MistressFrankly Mon 27-Jun-11 10:08:36

DD clambered on to a japenese lady when we were in the bank the other day and had pictures with the whole family smile

It is interesting how different ethnicities react to other peoples kids. There is a large chinese community where i live and for a start it did suprise me - a waiter picked up dd in a restuarant when she held her hands out and all the waitresses came over to cuddle her. My first instinct was argggh! (PFB grin) but she LOVES the attention and it is always well meaning and friendly.

However the little old chinese lady who took a pic then followed me round tescos loudly exclaiming my fat little baby must be a boy nearly got a clip round the ear!! DD is most definately not fat but i will concede in hindsight that a mini leather jacket and ramones t shirt probably doesnt say girl to most folk grin

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 10:10:06

each to their own

don't see the point myself

purpleplump Mon 27-Jun-11 10:14:34

I don't think you are BU. I would have gone mad! Fancy walking up to a stranger and asking to take a picture of their children. In this day and age they should know better. Not saying they were paedophiles but what would your first thought be, where is the picture going? you were well within your rights to tell them to f off op (probably not literally but you get my point)

Ooh thats actually made me quite annoyed! lol!

exexpat Mon 27-Jun-11 10:22:23

It's very, very normal to do this in China and Japan - not just with children either. I've been the random foreigner in all sorts of people's photos at tourist sites etc, and my children got a bit fed up with it when living in Japan.

The whole 'someone who wants to take a picture of my child - they must be a paedophile' hysteria just hasn't happened over there (I think it's just the UK and US, actually).

Please just take it as a compliment, or if you can't see it that way, just a cultural difference.

CherylWillBounceBack Mon 27-Jun-11 10:25:27

YANBU - you have the right to refuse.

However, I think to be weirded out by it or as some of the other posters here have put it be concerned about more nefarious things is a sad indictment of society today.

If the world was a better place, you'd have taken it as a compliment.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 27-Jun-11 10:42:45

It's normal in Japan but not really here tbh.

EnSuiteShed Mon 27-Jun-11 10:46:27

I think you WBU to "stomp off", but I also don't think I would have allowed them to take pictures etc.

I think a polite, "No, sorry" would be ok.

It's obviously just a cultural thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now