Talk

Advanced search

to be really shocked by this TV programme?

(16 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 09:31:54

I watched Music Videos that Shaped the 80s at the weekend, thinking it would just be a big nostalgia fest, however I ended up shocked on three counts:

(1) MTV wouldn't show Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video because he was a black artist. shock This was 1982!
(2) MTV banned Queen's I Want to Break Free video - one of the funniest videos ever - because it depicted men dressed up as women. hmm
(3) There was a (very very tacky) adult version of Duran Duran's Girls On Film video which, again, MTV banned, because of the nudity: girls strolling about in baby dolls with nowt on underneath; naked girls mud wrestling. Simon le Bon and Nick Rhodes were interviewed saying it was a waste of time banning the video because "everyone saw it anyway". Erm - I'm 44 and I'd never seen that video in my puff! Just as well - it was like the producers of Benny Hill had storyboarded it. hmm

Great programme otherwise. grin

Tchootnika Mon 27-Jun-11 09:46:56

Ha haaa... It's amazing when you start looking at what gets banned, by whom, and why. There's a really good book on it (quite old, now, but still interesting) by Martin Cloonan called (funnily enough) 'Banned'.

meltedchocolate Mon 27-Jun-11 10:08:54

I don't understand why you are shocked by the last one tbh

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 27-Jun-11 10:14:05

After the hoo-hah surrounding Janet Jackson's infamous 'wardrobe malfunction' (aka showing a bit of tit) in 2004, nothing surprises me about the weirdy moralising and prejudice of American networks.

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 11:02:19

Melted I was shocked by the bloody awful video (Duran Duran were quite stylish normally!) and shocked by the fact that I had never seen it before! I was 16 or 17 when it came out, so it's surprising!

TechLovingDad Mon 27-Jun-11 11:10:27

Did they Sabrina Boys, Boys, Boys? grin

wimpybar Mon 27-Jun-11 11:10:59

sorry but i have to disagree that duran were every stylish - have you seen arena an absurd notion grin

i've only seen the video in the last ten years but it really wasn't available to see (though maybe was on video?)

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 11:15:27

Er no, Dad, although I remember that having an effect on my flatmates at the time!

I'm so shocked your shocked. Pass me the sugary tea this instant

Chen23 Mon 27-Jun-11 11:20:49

the Duran vid was released on video, but IIRC only the betamax(!!) version had the uncensored version. Pretty sure it was shown on channel 4 a couple of years later too.

Tacky crap imo, not made any better by the bands spinal tap esque explanation of the video as a protest against the exploitation of models(!!)

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 11:24:56

grin

TechLovingDad Mon 27-Jun-11 11:29:00

Oooh Betamax.

LunaticFringe Mon 27-Jun-11 11:35:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 27-Jun-11 11:37:15

I thought that I Want to Break Free was only banned in the US. I'm sure MTV showed it here.

TechLovingDad Mon 27-Jun-11 11:38:25

To be fair, MTV couldn't have gotten away with not playing Thriller if they wanted viewers. Biggest video ever and they wouldn't play it? They'd have gone out of business.

Ironic really as all the videos on MTV now are mostly tired old sexist rubbish.

creighton Mon 27-Jun-11 12:56:17

I think MJ's 'Beat It' was the first record/video by a black artist to be played on MTV because it had an Eddie Van Halen guitar solo which gave it solid rock credibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now