Talk

Advanced search

To think that butter is essential but chilli's aren't?

(30 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:12:26

I've just been arguing with DH about fridge contents. Me and DD were in England from Thursday to Sunday and got back late last night.
I decided some toast would be the ideal way to start today. I toasted the bread, went to the butter dish and it was empty. Looked in the fridge. No butter.
DH said he was at the supermarket and knew he needed something but couldn't put his finger on what it was.
He decided that you can never have enough chilli's. What the fuckety fuck world does he live in/
So, MN jury. Chillis or butter. What is an essential?

DooinMeCleanin Mon 27-Jun-11 08:14:23

Bleurgh chillis on toast. No that doesn't work. Nor does chillis in mash, or on jackets, or in cake mix.....

You are right, butter is far more useful than chillis.

Ormirian Mon 27-Jun-11 08:14:32

Chillies. Sorry grin

There is no meal that isn't improved by chillies. Even toast probably.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:20:22

I had some brie on toast with jam on top. It wasn't nice so I am cleansing my palate with white Toblerone.

Ormirian Mon 27-Jun-11 08:22:47

You could put some olive oil in a pan with chopped chillies and garlic and then add the bread cut in two. Much better than jam!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:36:00

Too late, I just topped up with coffee and fags.
Not sure DD would appreciate the recipe you posted Orm, she is usually a toast and marmite girl.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 27-Jun-11 08:37:38

I'd go with chillies too... I use them more often than I use butter, sorry OP.

For MrKreecher... Silly man, of course BUTTER is more important, how could you forget? Make a list next time! grin

dinkystinky Mon 27-Jun-11 08:40:15

Chillies pretty essential in our household too as we eat them all the time!

Though you were pretty lucky to find bread in - in our house, if DH is left to the shopping, its more likely to be macaroons instead of bread in the cupboard...

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:41:35

There was wine so he does get a few points for that. But chillis? How can you confuse those with butter? In his defence, he did say he looked at margerine but knows I don't like it.

FruStefanLindman Mon 27-Jun-11 08:59:28

I wonder what he's going to end up eating when you're back in the UK and he's home alone for a few months? You'll just spend your weekends, when you are in Belgium, stocking up at the supermarket confused

InTheNightKitchen Mon 27-Jun-11 09:04:11

It sounds like he's going to eat food with lots of chillis in it.

Ormirian Mon 27-Jun-11 09:09:12

In my book he gets lots of points for the wine and for not buying marg!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 09:15:57

He will eat lots of food with chillis in. We have around 20 plants in the garden that he lovingly fusses over. Bugger the rest of the garden!
He is not remotely interested in anything plant like and only likes the garden to sit in and watch DD on her trampoline. the chilli plants are different. He noticed that they were being eaten by slugs or snails and actually made a special trip to the garden centre to buy pellets. The tomatoes are clearly not as important and they resemble lace curtains now.

QuintessentialShadow Mon 27-Jun-11 09:20:13

envy at husband who buys chillies and wine.

<sigh>

But, in our household, butter is more useful.

Curiousmama Mon 27-Jun-11 09:24:41

chillis for me too sorry wink Although do agree with wondering what planet he's on grin

Ormirian Mon 27-Jun-11 09:27:09

Hmm....I beleive that the capsaicin is addictive ..... do you think your DH might have a problem? grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 09:43:59

orm I do believe that DH may have a problem. He puts chillis in everything, either fresh or dried. He describes them as jazzer uppers. DD even tells him that not all food needs jazzing.

Ormirian Mon 27-Jun-11 09:47:19

Actually that does sound like DH! And me to a lesser extent....

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 10:34:24

He once had a chilli paste eating competition with a man from Kerala. He came out the vanquished and his ring piece suffered for days.

oohlaalaa Mon 27-Jun-11 10:38:40

envy here too. I wish my DH grew chillies and bought wine.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 27-Jun-11 10:44:35

I don't eat any dairy, so would rather have chillies in the house. But if DP came back with chillies instead of olive oil I would sympathise grin

fuzzpig Mon 27-Jun-11 10:45:12

Actually, we had chilli and lime mash once, it was delicious.

<misses point>

mummyofonegirl Mon 27-Jun-11 10:59:53

given the choice butter but if i had a basket full of essentials chillis would be included definitely

zukiecat Mon 27-Jun-11 11:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fifichef Mon 27-Jun-11 12:03:27

Butter, butter, butter over alot of other things - I just love butter - and, don't listen about all those preachers who say it's not good for you! Butter is a natural food and far better than margerine with all those additives etc.
I have no other hard fat in the fridge. I use a cheap one for baking and cooking and Lurpack for best!! - it's so lovely and creamy. I wait until it's on offer then freeze some away.
Butter not chillis - no contest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now