Talk

Advanced search

to wish the neighbours would shut the fuck up?

(22 Posts)
LoveMyOscar Sun 26-Jun-11 23:16:34

There is a reoccuring (sp) theme that whenever it's a warm evening on a weekend, even a Sunday, a bastard family of chavs (because yes, they are!) two streets away from us sit in the garden with the rest of their chavvy family from around 2pm in the afternoon to very late at night drinking and being incredibly loud, so much so that I can still hear every word they're saying now at gone 11pm.

Today I must've counted about 10 adults and as many kids in their garden. The kids all went away about 15 mins ago (I stopped hearing their shouting then) but a few adults remain out now. Someone just shouted at them to keep the noise down, i'm not sure who, but one of them replied 'shut your f-ing windows'. It is incredibly clammy tonight so I can't shut all my windows and my littlest ds keeps waking because of them shouting and laughing so loudly.

I'm not a party pooper but on a Sunday, and at this time when there are lots of children in the village (not a nice village, it's a council overspill development) who have to get up tomorrow morning, it's really not on.

I've emailed the housing association's anti-social team but I guess there's only so much they can do. I wish they'd throw the bastards out, but they won't of course and it will just carry on angry. I've just heard someone else out there trying to politely ask them to go in or quieten down but they're so aggresive. Grrrr!!!

HidinginaHardHat Sun 26-Jun-11 23:18:53

Environmental doodah people have an out of hours line, give it a call

MummyTigger Sun 26-Jun-11 23:19:51

It's breaking the law - there are noise ordinances put in place that stop you from making any noise above a certain level after 10pm. Ring the police and make a formal complaint. Then get a diary and write down everything that is being said/done and at what times. It may be time-consuming and a bit anal-retentive but after having dealings with people like this myself, it's the only thing that works. At least then you have evidence to back you up.

worraliberty Sun 26-Jun-11 23:21:51

YANBU, it's late and they should have more respect.

YABU about the 'chav' thing...it's not like there are no rude, ignorant, thick bastard non chavs around who don't give a monkey's about their neighbours.

Goodynuff Sun 26-Jun-11 23:24:18

Make a stink bomb (lots of recipes on line) and put it in their garden. They will be the ones indoors with their windows closed.
Sorry, did I mention I can be an ass? grin

LittleMissFlustered Sun 26-Jun-11 23:24:24

I could have written that post. Do you find it's even worse when there is a major sporting tournament on? The world cup was especially disasterous around here. So much chuffing noise. I was so glad when the English team went out, if only for the slight decrease in noise levels >_<

manticlimactic Sun 26-Jun-11 23:25:25

Ring the out of hours enviromental team every time this happens.

I had this problem with my neighbours but the housing didn't really do anything until we rang the council enviromental health. Make sure other people in your locale know to ring them too, no matter what the time is, day or night I have rung them, the more people who compain the better. Especially if you mention the hosility towards others to your HA [wink}

The three houses involved in parties round here are now on ABCs (Acceptable Behaviour Contracts - ask your HA about them) They still have a few dos through the day but it's no where near as bad and normally silence after 9pm.

giraffesCantZumba Sun 26-Jun-11 23:27:41

oh god how annoying!!

TheFeministsWife Sun 26-Jun-11 23:27:57

YA so NBU! I had this with my next door neighbour, she was an absolute fucking nightmare. Loud music at club level every single bloody night. And she had 4 children under 6 in the house at the same time. She was a horrible nasty bitch. angry Thankfully she eventually moved out and there's now a nice normal family living there. SHe made our lives a living hell though whilst she lived there. You have my sympathy.

michelleseashell Sun 26-Jun-11 23:32:10

No you are not being unreasonable. They sound horrible and I'd be out shouting at them.

A nice way to get revenge is to post them a big box stuffed with packing paper. They'll be so disappointed and hopefully they won't be in to sign for it and will have all the hassle of going to the sorting office too.

mummymeister Sun 26-Jun-11 23:32:54

Sorry Mummytigger you are wrong. i used to be an eho - environmental health officer . there is no law that says you have to be quiet after 10pm and there never has been. the law in question is that of statutory nuisance which is made up of case law and the test of reasonableness. It is contained in the Environmental Protection Act - used to be the public health act when i was practicing. there is no time cut off much as you/i/everyone would like there to be. The Police do not deal with noise nuisance it is your local authority/ councils Env Health dept. They will ask you to keep a diary of how often it happens and what you can hear so be descriptive ( e.g could clearly hear the words in my x bedroom or whatever) with a date and time. to prove nuisance you have to show that it is regular and on going. Ring the council in the morning, make a formal complaint and they will write to your neighbour (but they will not disclose that it is you that has complained) sound out some of your other neighbours to see if they are disturbed (discretely) and if so encourage them to ring in too as the more the better. Have to be brutally honest though it is damn difficult to prove statutory nuisance on something that isnt happening every weekend. Sometimes though the councils letter and maybe something from the HA has the desired effect at least in the short term. Hope this helps send me a pm if you want any further advice.

LittleJennyRobyn Sun 26-Jun-11 23:38:09

YANBU, same here, a family and thier friends 3 doors down. Been at it since 1pm. Its the same everytime the sun comes out. Dont know if thier kids are still up though.

Some fucking idiot keeps shouting at random....Dc's are at the back where the noise is, Its way too hot upstairs so windows open and i know DS (15) is still awake i can hear him moving about.

we'll wait and see if they quieten down.

They are moving out soon, so hopefully i'll get a bit of peace over the summer.

LoveMyOscar Sun 26-Jun-11 23:42:17

Thanks for replying. There is a police website where it says where crime was committed including robbery and anti-social behaviour and on their street there was an anti-social behaviour crime against someone on their street. It doesn't say the name of the person or the house number but I can guess it must be them as the street only has 4 homes on.

Website is www.police.uk

flumposie Sun 26-Jun-11 23:43:12

We get this too from a family on the next street whose garden backs onto ours - have to listen to them effing and blinding and shouting as if they were all a mile apart - really really irritates me

LoveMyOscar Sun 26-Jun-11 23:43:18

LittleJennyRobyn, do you live in North West at all?

LittleJennyRobyn Sun 26-Jun-11 23:46:18

No East Midlands, but when i read the thread title i did think that we could possibly be neighbours smile

LoveMyOscar Sun 26-Jun-11 23:49:44

Me too because this bitch keeps shouting at random too and they have housing backing onto them! All is quiet round these parts for now until next weekend. Hope you get some golden silence too soon Jenny smile

LittleJennyRobyn Mon 27-Jun-11 00:17:52

They have just shut up shop.....Finally!!
At least 3 cars gone tearing down the street at full speed....god knows if they are fit to drive or not, oh well at least we can get some sleep now [SMILE]

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 27-Jun-11 06:21:49

Agree with MummyT about keeping a record of everything that's going on....and also reporting incidents as they happen.

If you can get other neighbours on your side...that will add weight to things.

It is possible to get rid of nuisance neighbours...but it does take time.
Building up evidence is a useful thing that you can all do in the meantime.

JamieAgain Mon 27-Jun-11 06:24:34

michelle - you are an evil genius. Not v constructive, but quite funny

michelleseashell Tue 28-Jun-11 11:13:39

Ha! I dunno about not constructive- sometimes a little payback helps you to be more sanguine about the noise!

yellowraincoat Tue 28-Jun-11 18:24:34

They sound annoying but chaviness hasnothing to do with it. My neighbours are middle class as hell but the noisiest bastards ever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: