Talk

Advanced search

...to expect a parasol base to be included with a garden table, 4 chairs and parasol?

(33 Posts)
midnightservant Sun 26-Jun-11 20:47:38

Got the above garden set from Home Base. But there's a piece of paper saying "Please note that parasols should be used in conjunction with a table and parasol base for stability." Further down it says "Store in a dry place, or use a protective cover when not in use."

Then it says "Bases and covers available separately."

No base in the set. But I need one before I can use my garden set properly! I was planning on getting a cover, but not yet.

Cue one further trip to Home Base to find they want you to pay a further £24.99 for a parasol base. DH took it to Store Manager level, and they eventually sold it to him for £15.

Now he is thinking of contacting Trading Standards and vowing never to set foot in a Home Base again.

When I was discussing this with DS, DS seemed to imply parasol bases are always sold separately - is this the case, does anyone know?

YABU they come seperatly unless stated, we had to buy one on it's own

PaperView Sun 26-Jun-11 20:50:11

YABU - you knew what was in the box when you bought it, you don't need the base for the set to function, it is just for added stability. And you don' need a cover, just store it in the shed when not in use.

itsastrawpoll Sun 26-Jun-11 20:51:13

Eh?

KirstyJC Sun 26-Jun-11 20:53:01

We bought a set from there today, and yes the base was separate. Wish I'd read this before though as I would have tried to get a tenner reduction too!

I agree it's really odd not to include it - if you have a parasol then you obviously need a base. Why not include one in the set - charge more if you must - but save us the hassle of getting it on its own.

(Is a really lovely 6 seater set though and an extra 100 off the catalague price, plus the lovely cashier gave us a 15% off voucher before we bought it so we got another 35 off too....)

pooka Sun 26-Jun-11 20:53:04

I've never had a parasol base come with table/parasol.

Always sold separately unless specifically stated as being part of the "set" (though have never seen this).

Think your dh got a bloody good deal and should think himself well served.

pooka Sun 26-Jun-11 20:54:08

I suppose you might already have a base, but be replacing the table/parasol. Bases are indestructible and get hardly any wear and tear.

thisisyesterday Sun 26-Jun-11 20:58:52

he's being ridiculous!

trading standards will laugh at him. laugh and laugh and laugh

it clearly says what is in the box. parasol bases do tend to be sold separately yes....

chicletteeth Sun 26-Jun-11 21:02:05

YABU.

They usually come separately!

Why one earth do you think that trading standards will give a shit?

FlubbaBubba Sun 26-Jun-11 21:14:14

biscuit

Maybe the hot weather's been getting to the OP and her DH? grin

hoolabombshell Sun 26-Jun-11 21:18:48

Oh what lovely responses to the OP. Does no-one else think it's cheeky that they are sold separately? It's just that some of these outdoor settings are so bloody expensive in the first place.

HarrietJones Sun 26-Jun-11 21:21:14

We got one & yes it did say on the box that it wasn't included. I think it's cheeky.

Ours is from wilkos - much cheaper!

thisisyesterday Sun 26-Jun-11 21:40:34

well, what if i just wanted a parasol? what if i already had a base? then i'd have to pay extra for something i didn't want.

of course they shouldn't be sold together.

if you bought a barbecue would you expect it to come with charcoal and matches?

if you bought seeds would you expect it to come with compost and a spade?

perhaps you should have gone to argos

wandawings Sun 26-Jun-11 21:53:54

I got my parasol base from Sainsburys for about £6.

worraliberty Sun 26-Jun-11 21:54:58

We just dug a hole in the ground

<common> grin

midnightservant Sun 26-Jun-11 21:56:38

Wow! AIBU certainly takes your breath away!

But it's not so bad now I've dipped my shoulders under.

Will go and print this.

ScaredyDog Sun 26-Jun-11 22:00:18

YABU, sorry.

Oh, and a cheap temporary alternative to a parasol base - get a five litre water bottle and fill it with sand, stand the parasol in that.

lockets Sun 26-Jun-11 22:00:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frownieface Sun 26-Jun-11 22:01:27

YABU, here have a biscuit

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 26-Jun-11 22:05:35

Is this your husband?

LunaticFringe Sun 26-Jun-11 22:07:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mandy2003 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:12:52

Perhaps the base is not included with the set because - shudders - you might not need one!

twooter Sun 26-Jun-11 22:17:31

Well I'm on your side, op. I Bought a similar set from tesco, again with no base. The way I see it, no parasol=no base and fair enough, but if there is a parasol, there should be a base.

Having said that, we haven't had enough sun to need the parasol - live in Scotland and I've only had it two months.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 26-Jun-11 22:18:36

YABU, we bought a table set from ASDA, didnt come with a base thingy. Didnt expect it to actually.
Bloody thing blew over in the high winds we had a few weeks ago but that's my fault for being to lazy to take it down...

blush

midnightservant Sun 26-Jun-11 22:49:00

A biscuit doesn't mean 'no comment' really does it (am still fairly new to this)?

This is a serious post, though my world picture does not hinge on it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now