Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit....eh?!

(8 Posts)
mumsknitwino Sun 26-Jun-11 20:34:06

Daughter had a birthday party yesterday and being the hostess with the mostess, I struck up a conversation with one of the wee five year olds that attended. She proceeded to tell me all about her younger sister, how they share a room and she doesnt stop crying so she punches her in the stomach, pulls her hair and yells at her to shut up. She also divulged that the younger sister is left to wet and poo herself and how happy she is to have a new baby brother. I was a little shock and do not know the mother well at all. Should I feel concerned and perhaps mention something to the mother, or maybe put it down to a melodramatic child (that also seemed to have an imaginary friend called Jamie?!)

LaurieFairyCake Sun 26-Jun-11 20:36:05

Sounds like typical five year old exaggeration to me. Particularly the poo and wee stuff, probably the 5 year is surprised by nappies now she's grown out of them.

Take it with a pinch of salt but if your that concerned mention it to the girls mom but except a mouthful if you do.

applechutney Sun 26-Jun-11 21:01:57

Do you know what age the younger sister is? Hard to imagine the mum is unaware of a five yr-old's punching etc.

the pooing/peeing stuff does sound like the typical 5 year-old 'take' on things.

kitbit Sun 26-Jun-11 21:19:47

Can you mention it to the mum in a kind of 'just thought you should know what she's saying' kind of way and gauge the reaction?

overthehillmum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:20:31

my daughter announced to a houseful of people at my sisters party that she loved all the food there as she had never had ham before and her mummy never cooked for her.....loads of people looking at me like shock, and then went on to say that she never ate any veg as I only used the microwave.....she was five....I did cook although did use the microwave a lot, she had had ham before.........I still get jokes about that from my family, she is 21 this year.

She also put a story together about my 30 birthday party which ended in " and everyone was drinking, I was drinking, I got drunk and stayed up till 3......" She went home at 8pm and had lemonade.....teacher told me not to worry, they were sure it wasn't exactly what happened.

So although you are not BU to be concerned, 5 year olds can expand on the truth...

RevoltingPeasant Sun 26-Jun-11 22:38:45

When my youngest sister was about that age, we went to BurgerKing as an extra special treat, and as we got to the counter she suddenly shouted, 'Hot food! Why don't we have hot food at home?'

Cue silent queue behind us....

'Hot food' was her name for take-out/ trashy food - my organic-veg-growing, cook-everything-from-scratch DM was hideously embarrassed though....

Anyhow, sounds like it might be exaggerated but could do as a PP suggests and say, 'Wow, x is certainly imaginative, she told blah di blah'. See what reaction you get?

Belljar71 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:43:54

So,if the five year old had told you that an older sibling had been doing those things to them,you would just dismiss it as exaggeration?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now