Talk

Advanced search

With s spelled W. I T.H for fucksake. not W. I V.

(36 Posts)
Vroomfondel Sun 26-Jun-11 20:32:48

T H

WITH

NOT

WIV

OK?

BitOfFun Sun 26-Jun-11 20:34:10

Drives me potty too. As does "gonna", or worse, "gunna".

ElectricSoftParade Sun 26-Jun-11 20:36:10

YANBU at all.

GypsyMoth Sun 26-Jun-11 20:39:31

If you are being fussy, check the thread title before posting!!

Tee2072 Sun 26-Jun-11 20:40:13

Love the thread title. Did you use spellcheck wiv it?

Sirzy Sun 26-Jun-11 20:42:26

I have never understood the use of words like "wiv" it hardly takes much longer to type one extra letter!

nenevomito Sun 26-Jun-11 20:46:25

My personal bugbear is "wid", as in "I wanna get wid u."

Yeah, and I want to print that sentence out a thousand times and shove it up your nose.

CatPower Sun 26-Jun-11 20:49:56

"Should have."

Not "should of."

Should of MAKES NO SENSE. angry

MissBubbles Sun 26-Jun-11 21:17:59

fort and uvver really grate on me

DontCallMePeanut Sun 26-Jun-11 21:21:19

My SIL types "lik dis n it gts on my tits lol k"

Seriously, if she spoke how she types, I'd be doing a life sentence by now

hellospoon Sun 26-Jun-11 21:23:28

and is, is spelt IS not S.....this kind of thing really grinds on me. If you are going to have a moan about spelling atleast ensure your own is error free.

Salmotrutta Sun 26-Jun-11 21:33:16

And pacific is an ocean......... if you mean specific then learn the bloomin' difference!!

hiddenhome Sun 26-Jun-11 21:33:34

I complained to ds2's first primary school that he was spelling 'with' as 'wiv' hmm

The teacher didn't see the problem and said it was normal to do that hmm

We moved schools.

Crossssssshairs Sun 26-Jun-11 21:36:17

'cuming' instead of 'coming'. confused

KristineKochanski Sun 26-Jun-11 21:41:20

YANBU, it drives me potty too. I also twitch when someone writes 'should of' instead of 'should have', and don't know the difference between their and there. They are going for there tea for example - it's THEIR!!!
Also bloody text speak drives me mad too, it just makes the person writing it look thick as pig muck.

EggyAllenPoe Sun 26-Jun-11 21:46:53

i just had to google your name kristine ... i knew i knew it from somewhere. just thought it might be Star Trek. wrong.

with is definitely with. though i think i've got in the habit of saying 'wiv' because that's what DD says. Tail wagging dog sorta thing.

Mandy2003 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:18:37

Spelt is a sort of grain.

Spelled is what you do with words.

But language evolves...if you compare Middle English with Tudor English with 18th Century English, well you see where I'm heading! Txt spk is actually going back towards Middle English IMO. Anyone read The Book of Dave by Will Self - check it out on Google Books if not, and see his idea of how language will be in the future!

Armi Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:44

I fucking hate 'norty'.

hadagutsfull Sun 26-Jun-11 22:24:30

How about 'propa' - drives me propa mad!!!!

saralyn Sun 26-Jun-11 22:28:13

Actually, Mandy2003, both spelt and spelled are correct versions of the verb.

See here

www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/irregular-verbs?s

You can choose which one you want to use.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 26-Jun-11 22:31:13

Ugh.

Wiv
Norty
Chocklit
Yorkie puds

Hate hate hate the babyfication.

But I'm a hypocrite because nothing else gets my goat, I don't even mind hubby

Belljar71 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:34:25

Bokkle and likkle.AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Kitty81 Sun 26-Jun-11 23:50:42

Text speak makes me want to hit people with dictionaries. I'm a sixth form teacher of BTEC students and I have had essays handed in to me riddled with text speak, on more than one occasion. Horrible. One student hadn't even realised she was doing it confused

We also have a friend our age who uses textspeak all the time. Recently, he told us he's been using a dating site, and linked us to his profile, asking our opinion as he wasn't attracting the kind of girl he was looking for. The entire thing was in hideous textspeak. It just makes you look like a thick chav < smug superior emoticon> Especially the ones which are unnecessary as it's not like it saves you time?

Didn't the whole thing originate back when a text message was limited to a certain number of characters? I used it then, only in those circumstances, and I was a poverty stricken teenager. I would never use it on a formal document or anywhere else myself.

Suggested standard punishment for culprits?

Kitty81 Sun 26-Jun-11 23:52:10

Ps; I may be being a bit thick, but what's 'bokkle'?

Kitty bokkle should be bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now