Talk

Advanced search

to think that surely nits cannot survive being straightened with ghd's at 220C ?!?!?

(18 Posts)
PopBiscuits Sun 26-Jun-11 19:27:39

Experiencing my first nit fiasco with my girls and I am SHOCKED at how hard it is to be sure that you have got them all out.

No matter what you do - how can you be sure you got them all?

So, with the older ones that like having their hair straightened (usually just for special occasions) I'm thinking surely even the eggs will not survive those temperatures?

As an aside, my youngest is only 19 months and I just don't know what on earth to do with her. There is just no way I could physically hold her still for long enough to do a thorough comb. She's had the Lyclear on. What else can I do? Any suggestions welcome?

plymouthmaid Sun 26-Jun-11 19:30:25

Nitty gritty comb was the only thing that I found worked with my daughter.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 26-Jun-11 19:31:54

Cbeebies, conditioner and a nitty gritty.

crazynanna Sun 26-Jun-11 19:35:18

Yes,they can survive hair straighteners!
They survived the bloody dinosaurs....so heat is nowt.

meditrina Sun 26-Jun-11 19:38:49

Straighteners will kill the ones that land between their plates. They will not kill those in the crucial millimetre or so next to the scalp. So it's a good and satisfying start point. But you'll need to wet comb (or your other preferred - or should that be least reviled - method as wel).

LilQueenie Sun 26-Jun-11 19:39:16

if they lay eggs at the very base of the hair you wont get them with straightners.

flaime Sun 26-Jun-11 19:42:10

Only way for us seems to be the nitty gritty but you must do it again 5 or so days later so you catch any newly hatched ones you missed the first time before they breed and lay their own eggs.

sc2987 Sun 26-Jun-11 20:05:35

I shaved my head. It worked smile

ddubsgirl Sun 26-Jun-11 20:08:46

nitty gritty comb xxx

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 26-Jun-11 20:11:58

You want Hedrin. Not the thick "Hedrin Once" gel (impossible to shampoo out) but the one in the spray bottle. And a nitty gritty comb.

Lice lay their eggs really close to the scalp, where the straighteners don't go. If you don't get rid of those, then you are doomed.

giraffesCantZumba Sun 26-Jun-11 20:13:37

tv and sweets for little one?

You used your precious GHD on nits! How could you grin

CocktailQueen Sun 26-Jun-11 20:19:17

nitty gritty, tv and bribes!!!!!!

creamola Sun 26-Jun-11 20:23:08

has to be the old fashioned comb.

will you not be wondering now if a few nits have hidden in the staighteners insides then will crawl back out onto the hair next time you use them!

KoolAidKid Sun 26-Jun-11 20:25:43

I second Hedrin - good for fidgety little ones as you just apply it and wash it off the next morning. And if you have the Care at the Chemist scheme where you are you can get it for free (otherwise it's £££ especially for a whole family).

cadburysgirl Sun 26-Jun-11 20:27:31

hedrin once spray was the only thing that worked on my child. i tried conditioner, nitty gritty, tea tree oil, lyclear and others.

VerityBrulee Sun 26-Jun-11 20:33:23

I spent months faffing around with Hedrin, Lyclear, nitty gritty, etc. I was SO FED UP I went to the chemist and asked for the most heavy duty chemicals they had. One dose left on overnight and they were gone. I used Derbac M, but I'm not in the UK so the name may be different.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 26-Jun-11 20:52:37

I have niticed that they do drown. The last time ds had headlice I scraped them into a cup of water (there was a rediculous amount that appeared within 24 hours of him returning to school angry, it took me a while but by the time I'd finished they were all dead in the cup! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now