Talk

Advanced search

To think that leggings are not the same as trousers....

(83 Posts)
bandgeek Sun 26-Jun-11 12:16:41

And if you are going to wear them please for the love of god wear a top that covers your bum. I've lost count of the amount of women I've seen recently wearing short tops and leggings and it just looks WRONG! Not also counting the fact that most leggings are see through so showing their pants off too!

It really bugs me

LittleMissFlustered Sun 26-Jun-11 12:17:56

Evil things <shudder>

BooBooGlass Sun 26-Jun-11 12:18:02

YANBU. Leggings are tights substitutes, never trouser substitutes.

worraliberty Sun 26-Jun-11 12:19:12

What BooBoo said.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 26-Jun-11 12:20:59

You're not wrong at all... my Mum used to be a lover of leggings, I don't know why, she doesn't dress 'outside the box' at all usually, but she'd been on holiday and got talked into buying some lurid, polyester satinee, green/yellow/black/purple swirly type design. They were awesome... awesomely bad when she was stuffed into them. They wouldn't have suited Kate Moss either but I think Rod Stewart would have had his eye on them as a part of his concert ensemble.

We kids were teenagers living at home still... my brothers hid them for a few weeks and then threw them out in the rubbish. I was fully complicit, the leggings were that bad that I didn't tell my Mum until it was too late to get them back. She was hunting high and low for them. confused

thursday Sun 26-Jun-11 12:21:36

YANBU, see through leggings are all wrong, especially when you can see pants.

bubbub Sun 26-Jun-11 12:21:54

yup. i hate it. i just dont want to see womens hoof clad in lycra.
its not nice. not sexy. just a bit gross.
leggings with a lolng top or tea dress, thats what i live in, i wouldnt let dh see me in my leggings and short top. id look like humpty dumpty

Yukana Sun 26-Jun-11 12:24:08

YANBU. Do they realise you can see their underwear when they wear leggings with nothing covering their bum? Because the amount of times I've seen leggings worn and the outline of their underwear very clearly showing you'd think they didn't know.

Leggings are supposed to be worn with a long top, a dress, shorts, mini skirts. Basically with items of clothing that cover that area up!

bandgeek Sun 26-Jun-11 12:25:27

Glad it's not just me'! Thought maybe I was just starting to get old and grumpy grin Agree they look nice witha tunic or dress, but anything else is a big no no!

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 26-Jun-11 12:26:03

legging are like footless tights that don't get ladders ect in

Crossssssshairs Sun 26-Jun-11 12:26:03

YANBU.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 26-Jun-11 12:26:54

YANBU
leggings are strictly camouflage for the over 40s and/or chunky of leg when wearing shorter dresses, especially when it's too warm for tights. nothing else is acceptable.

bandgeek Sun 26-Jun-11 12:26:59

I saw one woman wearing a thong under hers the other day and all I could see was ARSE

WolfShapedBullet Sun 26-Jun-11 12:31:32

I've seen this a lot lately and it's not the best look, it doesn't even look right on the gazelle-like teenagers <jealous>.
I have been known to mutter to DH "somebody has forgotten her skirt" gah! I am old.

Animation Sun 26-Jun-11 12:37:40

Ye-ah!!

mumblebum Sun 26-Jun-11 12:40:29

Yanbu I recently saw a woman wearing leggings so thin I could see the white label in her black lacy pants. No no no no no! Cover your bum please!

Canella Sun 26-Jun-11 12:44:10

This is what I moan about all the time! Its bad enough when my near 10 yr old does it (and she's a skinny wee thing) but when my size 20 sister does it - aaaaagggghhhhh!!!!
They're should be real fashion police for such horrific crimes!

Canella Sun 26-Jun-11 12:44:42

There!! (not they're!!)

eurochick Sun 26-Jun-11 12:46:09

YANBU. There seems to be a horrid current trend to wear them with short tops. It never looks good. PUT YOUR CAMEL TOE AWAY WOMAN!

shivster1980 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:47:00

Legging = sausage skins This is the gospel according to my dear Dad, although saying this to Mum when she was wearing some was not his cleverest moment...

YANBU

catgirl1976 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:14:11

Leggings are great IF worn with a nice long bum covering tunic top. I love them because I am pregnant but even if I wasn't I would ONLY wear them as a tights subsitute.

2 words. Camel Toe. Bleeeurgh

FabbyChic Sun 26-Jun-11 13:17:33

Leggings shouldn't be worn by anybody over a size 10, they just look wrong. Only for the slim and very young teens.

Crossssssshairs Sun 26-Jun-11 13:19:31

Omg im too fat for leggings!

I still think they look silly on tiny people when without a long top/skirt/shorts.

ilovedora27 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:20:51

If you have model skinny legs then imo they look good with short top otherwise no. I agree with fabby even with long tops noone in size 10 up can pull them off imo.

trixymalixy Sun 26-Jun-11 13:22:24

Yanbu, I saw a larger lady wearing a practically see throughpair as trousers the other day with White pants under them. Not a good look.

They are definitely tights substitute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now