Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a bit cheeky?

(29 Posts)
NotEnoughTime Sat 25-Jun-11 22:08:27

My friend told me yesterday that she gets her babysitter to iron for her at the same time!

She pays her £5 per hour for babysitting (she is 16) and gets her to tackle the ironing once the kids are in bed. She says this is because she is not paying her "to sit around and do nothing all evening".

Before anyone says its none of my business etc etc I know that but I was just a little shock when she told me and cant help thinking she is taking the piss she is being a little bit mean.

What do you all think?

deliciousdevilwoman Sat 25-Jun-11 22:09:29

That is beyond tight! Cheeky cow.

fivegomadindorset Sat 25-Jun-11 22:09:58

My babysitter voluntarily irons, cleans my kitchen, we upset her one evening when we got back early and she had't finished the cleaning grin

Crossssssshairs Sat 25-Jun-11 22:10:02

The poor babysitter, least she wont get bored? confused

glassescase Sat 25-Jun-11 22:10:28

I hope she irons reeeel slowly

whysolate Sat 25-Jun-11 22:10:52

That's outrageous! can I have her number.

queenmaeve Sat 25-Jun-11 22:11:06

I'm surprised the baby sitter came back!

Groovee Sat 25-Jun-11 22:11:08

I'd tell her to feck off. I don't do ironing in my own house, never mind when I am babysitting.

stressheaderic Sat 25-Jun-11 22:11:47

I think it's an ace idea. If I was the 16 year old, I'd be happy to do something to pass the time and earn an extra few quid. A flat £5/hour for babysitting AND ironing is a bit stingy though.

MorelliOrRanger Sat 25-Jun-11 22:13:25

£5 is really stingy I used to get more than that 20 years ago just for sitting never mind the ironing.

DoMeDon Sat 25-Jun-11 22:15:09

It is cheeky but she's getting away with it envy

elephantpoo Sat 25-Jun-11 22:16:55

I used to babysit LOADS as a teenager.
I used to clean / tidy, even waitressed for a dinner party once, alongside babysitting.
I was never asked to, just wanted to.
I don't think it's unfair to leave jobs for a babysitter, but only if they want to.
One lady had 4 girls, and was sooooo lovely, I couldn't leave her house without a quick tidy-my bit to lighten her load. She really appreciated it smile

WickedWitchSouthWest Sat 25-Jun-11 22:21:04

I also did alot of babysitting in my teens and did all sorts of odd things I could see needed doing (mostly washing up or folding laundry) but I was never asked to do it! I was mostly doing it to avoid my honmework that little bit longer grin

If I had been asked to do the household chores I would have been expecting a little more than poxy £5 an hour! And I'm pretty sure I was being paid that then, and this is 15 years ago now....

I think she's taking the piss.

tazmin Sat 25-Jun-11 22:21:31

lol at 16 i would have said you are having a laff luv, and dont forget to leave plenty of tea and biscuits either

Smellslikecatpee Sat 25-Jun-11 22:29:32

£5 an hour FFS I was getting that 20+ years ago for a baby that I actually saw awake 2 in nearly 3 years. (Little sweetie)

I was there to sit, watch TV,eat food that had been bought for me, make out with boyfriend grin.

squeakytoy Sat 25-Jun-11 22:32:21

Its more than the minimum wage.. if the girl is happy to do the work, then sounds fair enough to me.

TheFeministsWife Sat 25-Jun-11 22:47:36

YANBU that is cheeky. But then I'n not one to talk I don't pay my babysitter anything (my mum wink) and she cleans the house from top to bottom when she's here and will then pay to take me out whilst DH stays in with the kids. grin

NotEnoughTime Sat 25-Jun-11 23:03:26

Good, its not just me then that thinks shes taking the pee.

Im just gutted that I never thought of it first-looks at ironing basket spilling out onto the floor.

plupervert Sun 26-Jun-11 06:45:47

What about letting the poor child do her homework, or read? That's what I got up to while babysitting.

One is paying the babysitter to be there to take action IN CASE something goes wrong, so unless your friend is a heartless parent, she should be praying she IS paying the girl to "sit around and do nothing all evening"!

Tuppence2 Sun 26-Jun-11 07:49:12

£5 an hour for a 26 year old is only 8p over the min wage! Adn in effect, she is technically doing 2 jobs- babysitting and ironing, therefore should get twice the amount!
I have a girl who occaisionally babysits for dd and she gets £10 per hour for 3 hours so I can go catch up with friends minus dd. It's usually from 6pm til 9pm, dd is quite often asleep or just happily playing (only requires 1 feed if awake) and I leave the house well stocked with crisps, pop, etc. I would never ask her to do the ironing or anything like that. she just leaves everything as tidy as she found it...

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sun 26-Jun-11 08:28:49

Nothing wrong with it at all IMO - it's an agreement between two people, if the babysitter minded she wouldn't do it.

MeconiumHappens Sun 26-Jun-11 17:42:31

YABU whats the problem? If the woman asked around for someone who could babysit and do a bit of ironing, and the girl agrees whats wrong with this? I think its a great idea of the mum and the teenager is getting more ££ than she would get paid doing some really crappy jobs at her age.

MyMamaToldMe Sun 26-Jun-11 17:48:45

I wish I had the guts to ask the babysitter if she would do chores!

SauvignonBlanche Sun 26-Jun-11 17:51:01

I wouldn't have wanted to work for her.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 26-Jun-11 17:57:40

My babysitter cleans and irons, but I pay extra for her to do so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: