Talk

Advanced search

To not leave car on drive when we went away on hols

(9 Posts)
cheerypip Sat 25-Jun-11 22:06:04

We recently went away on holiday. My DP went on a training course abroad, and we went out to join him a couple of weeks later.

My DP was really worried about our place getting burgled while we were away and instructed me to leave the car on the drive and get the train or a taxi to the airport.

As I would be travelling alone with 14month old DD and it's a three hour drive to the airport (and much longer and several changes by train), I thought this was a silly idea. So I instead drove to the airport and arranged for my parents to pop over 3 times over the 10 days we were away.

We do live in a rural area with no close neighbours, but it's not exactly a crime hotspot. We have never been burgled. Occasionally we get visited by shifty looking types asking for "scrap" but that's about as bad as it gets!

We returned from hols and there had been absolutely no problems. But my DP is still really p*ssed off with me for not doing as he had asked.

AIBU?

glassescase Sat 25-Jun-11 22:14:20

My neighbours always shut their gate when they go away; no other times though. It sort of announces."we are away". YANBU, it would be too difficult unless someone gave you a lift.

RunAndBeMum Sat 25-Jun-11 22:17:07

YANBU. Totally ridiculous. If someone wanted to burgle you they would watch the house and realise there was no-one there, car or no car.

How did he get to the airport? Because if he drove his own car then he definitely doesn't have a leg to stand on as he could have left his car on the drive.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sat 25-Jun-11 22:18:26

YANBU - as RunAndBeMum said, tell your DP to leave his own fucking car on the drive.

blackeyedsusan Sat 25-Jun-11 23:14:10

they would have nicked the keys to the car and the car... all they have to do to find if you are in is to ring the door bell and say they have broken down caana you help sort of thing.

MumblingRagDoll Sat 25-Jun-11 23:24:40

we don't even HAVE a car....only house in the cul de sac not to...we've nt been had yet....

Tiredmumno1 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:32:31

car or no car they could still attempt to break in, i dont think it makes a blind bit of difference

yanbu he is so naively U

coastgirl Sat 25-Jun-11 23:46:56

I wouldn't leave my car for that reason. Do you have neighbours who could park on your drive?

Chunkamatic Sat 25-Jun-11 23:51:36

We got burgled whilst I was in bed with the DC's. There's no rhyme or reason sometimes. He is being U, especially as it would have taken you so long to get to airport with DD, and that there is nothing wrong on your return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now