Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think bread bins are totally pointless?

(148 Posts)
PrincessJenga Sat 25-Jun-11 21:44:42

DP is obsessed with getting a bread bin. He swears it will keep bread fresher than just putting it in the cupboard and that it's more convenient than my tactic of freezing every bread product that enters our home. I don't see the point. Surely they just take up space in the kitchen and make no difference to the bread itself? We can't agree so I said I'd put it to the MN jury.

Breadbin: waste of money or kitchen essential?

YANBU

Waste of money.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:10

Waste of money.

Why do you freeze everything first though?

TheFeministsWife Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:11

Waste of money, I keep my bread in the cupboard.

troisgarcons Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:18

Rather havea bread bin to hide the loaf than have it cluttering up the work surface.

Frozen bread is minging. I wouldnt feed it to the dog (if I had one)

OpusProSerenus Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:35

I have one and it does keep the bread fresher!

SixtyFootDoll Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:37

Waste of space.

spilttheteaagain Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:45

YANBU (although it would be useful here to stop the cats from gnawing at any bread left out hmm)

WhoAteMySnickers Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:56

Waste of money and just another thing to clutter up the work-surfaces. YANBU.

ivykaty44 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:47:04

I suppose it depends what type of bread you get? If it is fresh bread then a bread bin or bag will keep it fresh - if packet sliced stuff then no as there is that much stuffed in to keep it in a state of limbo a bread bin will do nothing but the bread will preserve you for year and you may go slightly green in 100 years or so if your still around wink

YankNCock Sat 25-Jun-11 21:47:53

YANBU. I got rid of ours. Keep the bread in the freezer because we don't use enough of it to get through a loaf without it going mouldy.

Omigawd Sat 25-Jun-11 21:47:54

Works if it has an air seal, otherwise useless.

QuimFabray Sat 25-Jun-11 21:47:55

YANBU

They're like those Tea/Coffee/Sugar cannisters. Totally pointless and twee.

Linnet Sat 25-Jun-11 21:48:16

Our last bread bin broke and I've never got round to buying another one. The bread just sits on the counter top and I don't find it goes off any quicker than it would if it were in a bread bin.

Waste of money and kitchen space if you ask me.

DarftApeth Sat 25-Jun-11 21:49:46

We keep bread in the fridge. It never goes mouldy and we often have it for more than a week.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 25-Jun-11 21:49:51

I keep thinking that I need one and then I look at them, the awkward design and consider the amount of bread we actually eat in a week and I change my mind. I did buy one from Next a while ago, looked like a big vase with a lid - took it back, too strange and would take up so much space. I'd rather buy bread as I need it and keep it on top of the microwave with the eggs.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 25-Jun-11 21:51:31

Ah now, my tea / coffee canisters are not pointless.

Popbiscuit Sat 25-Jun-11 21:52:37

I splashed out for a really nice one. NEVER use it. The freezer is my breadbin.

TadlowDogIncident Sat 25-Jun-11 21:55:33

YANBU. They just take up space.

But my coffee canister is not pointless; it has a vacuum seal and keeps the coffee properly fresh.

stressheaderic Sat 25-Jun-11 21:56:49

Double yuk to frozen bread.

We bought a breadbin after having a mouse infestation - they were gnawing through the packet - but we don't use it anymore. It's full of carrier bags at the mo and in a cupboard under the sink.
Bread is on top of toaster.

deliciousdevilwoman Sat 25-Jun-11 21:58:00

I keep my bread in the fridge too, Daftapeth.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 25-Jun-11 21:58:28

Waste of space. They only ever hold one medium sized loaf and two naans. When you are juggling a white loaf/granary/crumpets and soreen, bread bins are useless.

BertieBotts Sat 25-Jun-11 21:59:38

XP was fucking obsessed with breadbins and insisted we get one. I never used it. He bought far too much bread to fit in it anyway. We had lots of arguments about it. I'm happier now wink

SpecialFriedRice Sat 25-Jun-11 22:01:04

YANBU.

I keep my bread in the fridge. Stays fresh for agggggeeesss. When DD was younger and we went through very little bread I used to keep it in the freezer and just take it out as and when I needed it... You can toast from frozen.

duckdodgers Sat 25-Jun-11 22:02:42

My bread bin is an old fashioned tin with a lid, looks good and holds about 3 loaves, I love it. Frozen bread never tastes the same as fresh to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now