Talk

Advanced search

To be cross about this?

(9 Posts)
Bloodybrokenclotheshorse Sat 25-Jun-11 21:28:05

I used to take my DNephew to a kids football session every Saturday morning which cost £2.50 for two hours.

We stopped going because his mostly uninvolved father randomly decided he wanted to spend time with him on Saturday mornings (although this has never once involved an activity away from the tv in my sisters living room because his dad is lazy and more interested in playing on his laptop than actually interacting with DN). 

His useless father goes through short periods of showing interest in his son. This is generally instigated by him being told I take my DN to some activity or other, that DN invariably loves and wants to tell his father every minute detail of. His selfish and inconsiderate father then proceeds to want 'contact' at those times (he and my sister don't live together). My DN has had to give up football, karate, violin lessons and street-dance classes before now for this same reason.

It's been about a year since we attended Saturday morning football. His father never comes to see him on a Saturday anymore so I figured it's ok to start taking him again.

I called the football place to check the fee is still the same and they told me it's now 1 hour for £5!!!!! AIBU to think this is outrageous? Does anyone know of a football club in the Croydon area that's not a rip-off?

Ps. Sorry for the mini-bitch-fest about DNs dad, he does my head in.

Crossssssshairs Sat 25-Jun-11 21:43:36

His dad sound like a waste of space. sad

£5 for 1 hour is taking the piss.

tazmin Sat 25-Jun-11 21:46:39

go on sundays smile

worraliberty Sat 25-Jun-11 21:47:08

That does sound expensive but sadly it's often to do with Insurance companies hiking up their premiums...then there's the cost of the CRB checks and the venue etc...

Sorry, I don't know Croydon very well but perhaps you could ring the local Council and check the Library for leaflets...also local sweetshop windows.

redexpat Sat 25-Jun-11 21:48:51

YANBU. Both those things are infuriating. Have no idea about Croydon sorry but sure someone will be along shortly.

SoFluffyImGonnaDie Sat 25-Jun-11 21:51:53

Wow that is a lot of money for 1 hour. DS1 goes to football for 2.5 hours on a Saturday morning and 2 hours on a monday evening at the same place. It costs £40 for the entire season. I am far away from Croydon though in cheapo Yorkshire smile

hiddenhome Sat 25-Jun-11 21:52:06

How old is your nephew?

Once he gets to about 13 he will be able to express his own opinion about how he wants to spend his spare time.

Bloodybrokenclotheshorse Sat 25-Jun-11 22:35:13

DN is 8 years old. I like to do stuff with him like bowling, swimming etc but also think he should have interests and hobbies. He really likes football so starting that again was actually his idea, just that that's a lot to pay every week for one hour... He's pretty into guitar lately, maybe I'll see if he wants guitar lessons instead. He did ask for them a while back but I've been reluctant because his dad totally hated violin, he got really angry and said it was for girls, brought DN to tears thinking his dad was calling him a girl sad

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 22:39:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now