Talk

Advanced search

To not lie about dds age even though she wants me too?

(46 Posts)
veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:01:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ha ! I have a son like your DD. He will be 12 soon and has wanted to be a pilot for a few years now.

He was most disgruntled to realise that you cannot just become a Red Arrow pilot and that you have to be in the RAF and are chosen......

Most annoying of all though is that the cadets can't start until they are 13, (safety and insurance purposes) so he still has another year to wait ! Bless.

I admire his determination, though. smile

JamieAgain Sat 25-Jun-11 18:05:01

YANBU - keep your moral stance. I also think it's worth bearing in mind that she won't be able to see out

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 25-Jun-11 18:05:17

Aww, thats brill. Im guessing you've just recently seen a show?

My brothers a Red Arrow. smile

Wow, really, Jam

(wont tell my son he will be wanting to know if he can have a free flight !)

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:08:11

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:10:25

LolaRennt Sat 25-Jun-11 18:12:02

YABU the state of 8 year olds in the UK is appalling, a stint in the RAF would do her no harm I say.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 25-Jun-11 18:12:05

Yup, just coming up to the end of his second year.

They can only do two years in the Arrows though, then they have to go back to trade.

He's loved every minute of it. smile

I know, verity it's so frustrating !

What else annoys me is stupid people who we have had say to us "why don't you let him join the Army/Sea Cadets ?"

Errr, cos he wants to join the AIR Cadets ?

It particularly frustrates me now as I think DS is 'ready' for it, and OK maybe he wouldn't be able to participate in flying maybe but he could surely do some other activities ? He came across the guy who runs our local cadets outside Tesco's I think who made it profoundly clear there was no point me even asking if he could join a year early. I felt so sad for him.

That's interesting Jam it used to be 3 years ?

I bet it's amazing.

We love going to various air shows, I bet we have seen him at one ? What Arrow is he ? wink

DeWe Sat 25-Jun-11 18:14:02

You can get a uniform to fit. They do red arrows suits for age 2yo upwards. Ds (4yo) got one last Christmas. He wants to fly red arrows and concorde and possibly the harrier. I've told him he better concentrate on the red arrows. We got it off ebay, search red arrows suit and it cost us about £5. They're about £25 new.
Unfortunately he loves his suit but won't wear it until I've got him a red arrow to fly it in. grin

Just plucking up courage to tell him I am 'chatting' to someone whose brother is a R/A ! blush

DeWe

Awww, cute. Wouldn't quite be the same for my DS, I don't think ! grin

C'mon then, get on ebay for the Red Arrow !

JamieAgain Sat 25-Jun-11 18:21:04

Dear verity's daughter

I think it's brilliant you want to be a pilot. It takes a lot of bravery and intelligence (you have to know about aerodynamics and other long words). I hope you are able to pursue your wishes. The Red Arrows are so exciting to watch, I can really see why you'd want to be one. I hope, as well, that you have a very strong stomach (I myself get car-sick, so I don't know how I would cope with upside-down flying).

Love Jamie

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:22:33

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:25:54

At Bournemouth Air Show, (Bank Hol W'end in August), if you go on the last day, the R/A usually do a 'wander about' after the show.

We met a few a couple of years ago, who signed posters for the DCs.

They also got a signed poster from the Pilot of the Euro Fighter Typhoon. smile

They usually have lots of planes for you to have a look about on too. We have pics of the kids in a Chinook. One year there was an Arrow you could sit in too.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 25-Jun-11 18:28:05

Awww, thats so cute. Are you in Edinburgh then? Thats where they are this weekend i think, for Armed Forces Day?

Im excited because he's home on leave for a few days this week - was supposed to be last week but then they got invited to go and be on Top Gear, and it was filmed mid-week. He met Alice Cooper (star in a reasonably priced car!) and got him to sign their celeb union jack (it gets auctioned off at the end of the season.)

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 25-Jun-11 18:29:51

Ha Ha, Verity - I will try and get him on this thread when he's home if you like?!

MrsDonkeys, right though - they often do walkabouts/autographs etc.

trixymalixy Sat 25-Jun-11 18:30:31

Good for her!! If she's really keen the RAF sponsor cadets through uni and they learn to fly alongside their studies. I was in the university air squadron, but the RAF wasn't for me.

My DS would love to have a chat with a real life Arrow !

veritythebrave Sat 25-Jun-11 18:36:54

You're welcome. smile

Bournemouth is the best to go to, IMHO, and it's FREE ! All on the seafront with loads of other things to do.

You have never heard a noise like the Typhoon.......just fantastic !

We have some great video footage.

Top Gear Sunday night 8pm, BBC2. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now