Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to try to find a magazine for girls that's not all pink lip gloss.

(37 Posts)
betterwhenthesunshines Sat 25-Jun-11 14:47:05

DS loves his Beano but DD (6) would like a magazine too, she would pick anything with free plastic stuck to the front. But I wish there was something with broader appeal, maybe with science, nature, easy cooking, craft etc. She's a bit past Charlie and Lola and defintely past the CBeebies one.

What would you like to see in a girls ( or unisex magazine) for 5-7 yr olds?

Amieesmum Sat 25-Jun-11 15:03:17

My DD ready's PONY magazine (she's 6 (7 in a few days)) i know it's about horses, but she loves it. Free gift with every mag, usually stickers or a toy, or something sparkly (never make up) last week it was some horse magnets - has posters, some horsey cartoons & loads of other bits.

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 25-Jun-11 15:06:18

But that's a bit of a 'one trick pony' grin isn't it? What if you're not interested in horses?

sausagesandmarmelade Sat 25-Jun-11 15:07:14

I know what you mean....there is a bit of a gap in the market when it comes to little girls magazines. There seems to be a huge jump from the Cbeebies type of thing to really girlie ones.

Bit of a shame....

The junior national geographic is quite good (if you can get it).

I find kids just love to relax with a comic/magazine and a few sweets/chocs...and I always indulge my nieces and nephews in this way.

Sparkletastic Sat 25-Jun-11 15:07:37

DD (8) loves the Beano and Moshi Monsters comics. Sometimes Doctor Who. She isn't averse to lip gloss and pink but not as reading matter wink

sausagesandmarmelade Sat 25-Jun-11 15:08:36

My nephew is quite happy with a Beano/Simpsons mag....and yes they do love the 'freebie' toys they put on the front

Marne Sat 25-Jun-11 15:12:19

We struggle with dd1, i often buy her sister cbeebies mag but now dd1 is older its hard to find anything as its all pink (she does not do pink), she has the mooshi monsters mag once a month but we struggle to find anything else sad.

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 25-Jun-11 15:18:54

OK sausages and Marne. I think I'm on to something here - but what do you think your DD would really like to see in a magazine?

sausagesandmarmelade Sat 25-Jun-11 15:20:33

Pets, Cooking, making things, maybe gardening, nature....and maybe a bit of fashion.

magicmummy1 Sat 25-Jun-11 15:23:44

Definitely a gap in the market, I agree.

piprabbit Sat 25-Jun-11 15:26:05

The BBC were due to publish this magazine. It sounds perfect for my DD, but I don't think it ever actually hit the newstands sad.

At the moment DD reads some god-awful animal thing full of pictures of cute pets, which her GM buys for her.

The magazines are so pricey that I've started buying packs of books from the Book People and just giving her a new book every couple of weeks instead.

Ilythia Sat 25-Jun-11 15:31:38

Have you tried national geographic kids magazine?

post Sat 25-Jun-11 15:59:35

dd loves okido magazine, she's 7. Used to get it in Borders but get it delivered now.

basingstoke Sat 25-Jun-11 16:10:21

National geographic kids here too. And the Beano is unisex, isn't it?

julienoshoes Sat 25-Jun-11 18:13:49

just about to take out a subscription for our grandaughter for the Aquila magazine but it is perhaps a little old aimed at 8-13 year olds.

JamieAgain Sat 25-Jun-11 18:14:09

When I was about 8 I used t buy Debbie magazine. It had lots of good stories in it and was age-appropriate

paisleyII Sat 25-Jun-11 18:57:38

spongebob or buy sparkles etc but take any nail varnish off/lip gloss and bin it (after buying it) before you give it to dd! that's what i always did

anothermum92 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:14:39

Message withdrawn

SocialButterfly Sat 25-Jun-11 19:15:58

My dd loves junior national geographic and yoy get good free gifts sometimes too

Silverstar2 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:19:04

My DD is almost 9 and love the Jacqueline Wilson mag - it say it is for girls who love to read, and is aimed at 7 -11 I think.

gogoredpanda Sat 25-Jun-11 19:19:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pfaffingabout Sat 25-Jun-11 20:21:46

How about Adventure Box? My 10yo dd gets it even though it's aimed at 6 -9 yo kids (she's a bit developmentally delayed and also educated in French). No freebies but nice stories, a bit about nature, some games and cartoon strips.

MitchiestInge Sat 25-Jun-11 20:24:53

Is new moon girls pitched at older readers? It has no advertising, which is lovely

Marne Sat 25-Jun-11 21:04:53

I think my dd would like something with adventure, characters (anything similar to Moshi monster, but no cute furry animals), maybe something about girls doing boy things (she likes to think she can join in with boys things like football or cars), anything crafty (making things), maybe a quiz and some good jokes (she loves jokes), deffently nothing pink, no lip gloss or hair bands and no cute animals smile. Dd1 is 7.

Guadalupe Sat 25-Jun-11 21:14:11

www.okido.co.uk/Okido is like Anorak but good for younger readers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now