Talk

Advanced search

to find Sharapova's 'grunting' during play INTENSELY irritating?

(10 Posts)
lostmymind Sat 25-Jun-11 13:30:29

Ok, so I accept a degree of noise, exhalation of held breath etc, but her shrieks and screams are frankly ridiculous. It must be very distracting for her opponent.

worraliberty Sat 25-Jun-11 13:31:56

It's her 'trademark' and I think she plays up to it.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 25-Jun-11 13:34:00

I've just been ranting about the same thing grin

I don't think she should be allowed to do it. Ban the shrieky bint, I say.

mayorquimby Sat 25-Jun-11 13:34:26

It's a tactic. Partly to distract the other player but also to mask the sound of the racket hitting the ball so as to give her opponent less time to react.

hobnobsaremyfave Sat 25-Jun-11 13:34:37

More irritating than nails down a blackboard. I mute the tv when she plays

CheerMum Sat 25-Jun-11 13:41:03

ohwwooooohhhhhhhh

grrr, have just been chuntering at dh about this! highly annoying. i'd be telling her to shut the fuck up if i was her opponent.

worraliberty Sat 25-Jun-11 13:46:36

I haven't watched Tennis for years so I must admit I was surprised to see them still wearing skimpy little outfits.

I have no idea why I thought they'd be wearing shorts instead?

Maybe it's cos I'd be self conscious of my arse hanging out blush

CleverHans Sat 25-Jun-11 13:47:39

AM wondering if an opponent would be allowed to grunt out loud a split second before she hits the ball. Is there a rule that says when you can adn cannot grunt?

Meglet Sat 25-Jun-11 13:49:01

What mayorquimby said.

And she doesn't do it in the warm up even though she gives it some welly.

revolutionscoop Sat 25-Jun-11 13:50:05

I'm sure it was Monica Seles who started the grunting trend. Steffi Graf used to complain about it. None of the female players seemed to grunt much prior to the early 90's, so I'm sure there's no physical need for it! YANBU, intensely annoying! I for one which the powers that be would do something about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now