Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you are entertaining your child with an annoying electronic game

(9 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-11 10:48:57

You should turn the volume down.
Or use headphones.

It was, in this case, an iPad so all of the above are perfectly possible. I do and remind my children to turn them down so as not to irritate those around them too much.

I am trying to read, not listen to fecking Peppa Pig.

lockets Sat 25-Jun-11 10:51:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PiousPrat Sat 25-Jun-11 10:58:39

Are you on a train by any chance?

I have a travelling bag that is use when I take long train journeys that is always stocked with things like playing cards, books, pen and paper, spare chargers and at least 2 sets of headphones (I have 2DC) and I have been known in the past, when travelling alone, to walk down the carriage and donate one set of the headphones to a kid with a noisy device so I can get some sodding peace!

It's about reasonable noise isn't it? When I have the kids with me, there tends to be a near constant stream of noise of some sort, from rustling crisp bags to conversation or playing a game and while i do make sure we don't get rowdy, I wouldn't expect other passengers to be too pissed off by it, as I don't get too annoyed by others doing the same. Games consoles are a different matter though. No one needs to have the volume up high on those. Find the bleeps and pings of the games annoying enough if I am playin the myself, so mute them, but if it is someone else playing and i don't even have the benefit of context for the noise? Pisses me right off.

Mind you, I make the kids mute their DS games when we are at home unless they are. In their rooms because it annoys me, so I don't expect to have to put up with it from other people's kids when i am out.

belledechocchipcookie Sat 25-Jun-11 11:02:58

There was an adult on the bus last week playing one of these, he had the volume on loud and the tune repeated itself every 5 seconds. I almost rammed it down his throat after 10 minutes but, happily, he turned it down. I always make sure my son uses his quietly.

Headphones and music is just the same though, I don't want to hear it. Why do people have to be so loud and inconsiderate?

lockets Sat 25-Jun-11 11:03:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-11 11:06:43

I am "backstage" whilst DD does her dance class.

There is also loud "I am interacting with my child on this EDUCATIONAL game" parenting, thankfully followed by "let's go and run around outside!" and the return if the gentle hubbub of chitchat.

I am grouchy and intolerant grin

SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-11 11:07:56

Yes, to be fair, adults can be just as irritating when it comes to electronic noise.

SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-11 11:08:52

Ordinary Kid Noise is fine and expected. Unless there is shrieking.

belledechocchipcookie Sat 25-Jun-11 11:10:56

If you raise your child to not think of the others around them then they do the same when they are adults. It's common mannars to teach your child to be quiet. Conversation is completely different to repetitive electronic noise or repetitive thudding being emitted from someone's earphones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now