Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to actually feel sorry for models and pop stars who are very 'now'

(8 Posts)
Suncottage Sat 25-Jun-11 02:47:11

I mean their career is very short lived and then what the hell do they do?

I mean Twiggy is hanging on by her fingertips due to her 60's fame and after that they have what??

Get an Avon round and drum up some customers? Work in an insurance office?

I really want to know what they do after their fifteen minutes of fame.

Any ideas?

PrudenceNightly Sat 25-Jun-11 06:55:28

Its a tad patronising to feel the need to feel sorry for people. Maybe the majority of people end up having babies, mortgage, recycling, dog to walk, friends for lunch, exactly how most people live. Are you saying they are thick just because they are famous? I would save your sympathy for people who want it.

galletti Sat 25-Jun-11 07:01:53

I think Twiggy is more than hanging on by her fingertips to her 60's fame! She's done pretty well for the last 50 years for someone who was 'now' in 1960! Hardly '15 minutes of fame'.

purplepidjin Sat 25-Jun-11 07:07:14

They put quite a lot of hard work into getting there though, how is it the world's fault if they don't invest their cash wisely? As Prudence said, save your sympathy for those who need it - perhaps the ones starving/dying from dirty water/homeless?

EricNorthmansMistress Sat 25-Jun-11 08:29:16

YABU
biscuit

Tryharder Sat 25-Jun-11 08:34:58

I agree with you really. I would imagine that a small percentage of popstars make a lot of money - enough to retire on and live comfortably for the rest of their lives even if they never work again, particularly if they wrote their own songs.

But others....what about, say, Curiosity Killed the Cat or Big Fun or Tranvision Vamp. Can't imagine they made millions. At some point they will have had to get a day job. Doing what? It would be really embarassing; people would keep saying "oh, didnt you used to be in that band" and then whispering about you as if you were a failure.

cybboid Sat 25-Jun-11 08:36:02

They make more money in their five minutes of fame than most of us will make in a lifetime, so no, I dont feel sorry for them

purepurple Sat 25-Jun-11 08:39:59

YABU
I hate the so-called celebrity culture at the moment. Anyone who has appeared on TV, however briefly, is now hailed as a 'star'. In reality, they are mostly no-talent, empty-headed leeches.
The quicker they are gone from the tv screen and the pages of Now magazine the better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: