Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not put a vest on my DS?

(29 Posts)
Tigerinmysoup Fri 24-Jun-11 21:53:14

My DS is 18 months old and, seeing as it's summer, I haven't been putting a vest on him lately. He wears just a t-shirt, or a jumper if necessary, but would surely be too hot in a vest too?

According to my mother, I am "an evil mother" for not putting a vest on him - and she was only half joking. So does everyone else put vests on their toddlers at all times no matter what the weather? Must have missed that one in the rulebook.... hmm

pyjamababe Fri 24-Jun-11 21:57:03

Nope! I know someone who does and on a recent visit to the gp they were told their dc was far too warmly dressed for the season. I put equivalent layers on ds to whatever I am wearing, he is very rarely ill, at 18 months old he has had 1 cold! smile

GrimmaTheNome Fri 24-Jun-11 21:58:20

YANBU, of course, there is no commandment saying 'thou shalt dress thy offspring in vests'. Though at the moment 'summer' still sees me wearing faux-sheepskin coat or fleece ... just dress him according to the temperature, not the season or your mother's rules.

Groovymoves Fri 24-Jun-11 21:58:27

Hell no!

Neither of mine have worn a vest for months. They're generally just in a t shirt with a jumper/cardi if a bit cooler.

Honeydragon Fri 24-Jun-11 21:59:55

Nope, no vest here unless its cold enough for me to wear one. DDgets her coat out the pram if she' cold when we are out too, which is handy.

Less handy is when she decides to undress as she is hot hmm

Tigerinmysoup Fri 24-Jun-11 22:06:40

Phew, thanks ladies for making me feel better grin

mistressploppy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:08:38

DS (20mo) tends to wear a vest unless it's really warm, just because he's skinny and it helps hold his nappy up grin

But I ditch it on holiday or if it's really warm - like it's supposed to be this weekend <crosses fingers>

So YANBU

ceebeegeebies Fri 24-Jun-11 22:08:44

I have a very random cut-off of May and the vests stop and then they go back on towards the end of September grin No idea why....although due to that gorgeous weather in April, the vests did stop earlier this year than normal.

mistressploppy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:10:09

"Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be oot"

Unless we have a freaky roasting April, obv

<nods sagely>

toomanyopinions Fri 24-Jun-11 22:11:34

My DS1- no vest, DS2- insists on vest otherwise sore nipples, DD1- no vest. ?!

andthisisme Fri 24-Jun-11 22:12:30

I think it's a generation thing. My Mom was always trying to get me to put a vest on DS and would constantly point out "Well, DD had a vest on at that age".
Well, yes, but she was born in December. He was born in August!

aurorastargazer Fri 24-Jun-11 22:16:27

grin
dd won't wear them anymore but she is 6 now. she does wear one in winter otherwise i think she's colda nd it maeks me feel cold then grin

Seabright Fri 24-Jun-11 22:17:39

I often put vests on, but more to hold up the nappy than to keep her warm

Honeydragon Fri 24-Jun-11 22:23:50

tbf my MiL dislikes seeing a uncovered back, a uncovered back is the route of all illness. As such all the cardigans she has knitted me come down to my knees grin

mistressploppy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:24:53

Oh, would your MIL make me some clothes please Dragon? I have the longest back in the world <deformed>

fairydoll Fri 24-Jun-11 22:26:18

What a weird post! I don't know any kids who wear vests.I thought they were a throwback to the 1950s!

Meglet Fri 24-Jun-11 22:26:29

yanbu.

My problem is that 4yo happily dresses himself in the mornings and insists on wearing a vest. I think I will have to hide them until October.

Honeydragon Fri 24-Jun-11 22:37:25

You'll still get a extra 5" and her double knit has been known to withstand bomb blasts. I have a Aaron jumper that's hotter than Hades even with no coat grin

LeonieDeSaintVire Fri 24-Jun-11 22:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thefoxsbrush Fri 24-Jun-11 22:47:21

I could have written this post! What is it with our mothers and vests????

sunshineandbooks Fri 24-Jun-11 22:48:44

I only ever put a vest on mine when it's really really cold. Am I failing in the motherhood stakes here? confused

BoosMaw Fri 24-Jun-11 22:50:00

YANBU. It won't be long now til you won't be able to buy baby vests to fit, the ones with poppers on anyhow, most shops sizes only go up to 24 mths. The ones without poppers are a pain anyway as they keep coming untucked. Just use your judgement, and ignore the old crone!

FionaJT Fri 24-Jun-11 22:51:11

I dropped vests for dd from a pretty young age, as overheating made her excema flare up, and it was easier to add and remove outer layers than vest. (Did fell like I was being a bit negligant tho'.)

PatriciaHolm Fri 24-Jun-11 22:51:14

DS hasn't worn a vest in, I think, about 4 years (he's 5). It's all I can do to make him wear a coat when it's actually snowing. His normal attire from around Feb to Nov is shorts and short sleeved T shirt. And, y'know, he's just fine! He never gets ill either.

ThePetiteMummy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:52:45

I stopped putting vests on dd (15 months) around Spring, but it always makes me laugh that on the one day my mum baby sits her each week she puts her in a vest! Definitely a thing of mums of their generation I reckon! I still put her in a vest under her babygro at night tho, as her room's quite chilly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now