Talk

Advanced search

To think MN is odd at the moment

(51 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 20:34:56

This is not a "good old days" thread, because I think MN has been pretty good very recently, and in fact the school run thread in AIBU us everything I want in a thread.

But MN recently has been full of (and I am guilty of some of this myself):

- People wingeing about how MN isn't what it used to be
- People bitching about other posters
- People wingeing about the moderation
- People wingeing about the lack of moderation
- People asserting that MN is a business, as though somehow this is an investment they have made confused

Why now and when will it all go back to "normal" (whatever that may be)

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:37:32

I've been here for a few good years....hasn't it always been like this? grin

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 20:39:12

not IME
there used to be the odd thread pop up, but now it;s all the time

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 20:39:31

like this one really

Tortington Fri 24-Jun-11 20:41:04

im am a bit up to here >>points to top of head<< with the mn aint what it used to be parade.

Tee2072 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:43:14

You and me both Cust.

If you don't like it, door's over there ->

I also agree with Stealth.

Can't we just chat and support and stop worrying about the mods/lack of mods/other posters/I don't know what?!

Pumpernickel10 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:43:49

Well I don't know about the good old days but MN as it's moments. I like it still I do get a bit fed up of certain posts being deleted and others not

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:44:49

Isn't gentle chatting/support what NetMums excel in!??

Pumpernickel10 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:45:30

The last week the support I've had over my problems as been great, I've had great advice and some great PMs smile

GypsyMoth Fri 24-Jun-11 20:52:46

i'm on the fence with this one!!

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 20:57:50

Are people agreeing with me or am I getting a telling off? Which I agree I deserve? These sorts of threads used to pop up and I used to roll my eyes nd think "If you don't like MN you know what to do". But now active conversations seems full of them, bitching and fighting all over the place with MNHQ like the army sent in to restore the peace.

GypsyMoth Fri 24-Jun-11 20:59:34

maybe we're all burning out as end of school year approaches? like the kids all are?

Tee2072 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:59:56

It is part of getting so big, though, Stealth. With so many posters a certain percentage are going to be unhappy about something.

And since it is unmoderated, the posts stand.

I do agree that there have been some weird deletions lately, though.

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 21:01:05

it is weird though, when you've been part of a site for ages to see it changing and it's been weird for the last few months.

can't blame people for caring that the site they love isn't the same can you?

of course we could just go somewhere else, but would you just leave so quickly if you didn't like it?

PelvicFloor0fSteel Fri 24-Jun-11 21:01:32

YABU but only because this is another 'ain't what it used to be' reallygrin

There's still plenty of interesting stuff on here though, you just have to work a bit harder to find it.

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 21:02:31

<sulk>
It was so much better back in the day when wildebeest roamed and everyone cycled everywhere (well except the wildebeest, who roamed)

Tee2072 Fri 24-Jun-11 21:02:42

wimpybar I would and I have left sites when they have gotten to a point that I didn't enjoy them any more.

It's a big internet out there. And there's always another message board to go to.

TechLovingDad Fri 24-Jun-11 21:04:14

It aint what it used to be. There was a time when you never saw a "fings aint wot they used to be" thread. now they are everywhere.

It never used to be like this when it was all fields.

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 21:05:52

there isn't another mumsnet tee grin

i just think alot of newbies are scared to start new threads these days as the majority will pounce on them if they disagree (as i said on other thread)

it's a shame really

SinicalSal Fri 24-Jun-11 21:08:36

Well I'm back under a namechange after a hiatus of nearly 6 months.

It feels like I walked in in the middle of those periodic self referential periods that come and go. Twas ever thus

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 21:09:49

you're prob right Sinical
Maybe it's not MN but me

WhipMeIndiana Fri 24-Jun-11 21:12:12

I think it has evolved a bit lately, seems to have changed in last 2 months

usualsuspect Fri 24-Jun-11 21:13:18

I don't care any more <drinks>

SinicalSal Fri 24-Jun-11 21:14:54

The odd break does you good, I think SPB.
I had to give up when I found myself lying in bed grinding my teeth and crafting devasting replies to Big Meanies. Not a good use of my time.

MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 21:16:04

I think MN goes through odd cycles - we have been invaded by other sites again recently which normally forces these odd periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now