Talk

Advanced search

to think i wont be getting a pony for my pfb because he is a boy?

(87 Posts)
catgirl1976 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:38:31

I love horses and have some of my own and if DC was a girl would be straight out to get her a pony. AIBU to not want to get a pony for a boy and thinking its a "girls" thing? Of course I know loads of boys (and men) ride - I am not saying it is a "girls" sport, but having a pony, going to pony club etc all feels more like something I would do automatically and from day 1 with a girl, but not with a boy. If he expresses an interest then fine but its not a given like it would be with a girl (even though I know she might have turned out to detest riding and a boy might turn out to be the finest rider the world has ever seen)

worraliberty Fri 24-Jun-11 19:40:28

Oh the poor little thing, how will he ever survive without a pony?

Seriously though, what a load of sexist twaddle.

MamaChoo Fri 24-Jun-11 19:40:32

Of course you are being unreasonable. Three words for you: Rupert Campbell-Black!

Glitterknickaz Fri 24-Jun-11 19:41:53

Ok.... fine.
DS2 loves riding. It's good for his joints and the physio recommended it.

catgirl1976 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:42:37

I know - and RCB is fab. I know I am being totally sexist but even though I know it I just feel like I should wait till he is older where as with a girl I would force the pony on the poor thing and probably put her off for life. It doesnt even make sense to me so I just wondered if anyone else found themselves being unreasonablY sexist like this with their own DCs even though they knew if was U

PelvicFloor0fSteel Fri 24-Jun-11 19:43:37

Aren't most professional riders currently male? Jockeys, showjumpers, olympic riding all seem to have more men than women.

Alambil Fri 24-Jun-11 19:44:23

aren't most of the jockeys in the Grand National men?

Sexist claptrap.

Riveninside Fri 24-Jun-11 19:44:38

Why shouldnt a boy enjiy riding if goure wealthy enough to do it? My boys had a pony ride once and loved it.

DirtyMartini Fri 24-Jun-11 19:45:45

YABU and you know it.

Do you never think it's a bit unfair to your child to have almost ruled out something so many people love and you yourself enjoy, for such a dumb reason?

How is it fair to wait for him to 'express an interest' when you're already projecting 'it's really not for boys' vibes?

Choufleur Fri 24-Jun-11 19:46:06

YABU. Lots of boys love riding. I've tried desperately however to get DS interested in horses as I love them and miss having one. Rented before DS. He's not bothered though.

Look at all the eventers about - loads of men.

catgirl1976 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:46:08

Totally. Although it is the only sport (to my knowledge) where men and women compete equally which is nice. Maybe I am influenced by DH being bored to tears by anything equestrian and think DS will be too. Still doesnt make sense though. I hate knowing I am not being rational but still feeling the same way

ZillionChocolate Fri 24-Jun-11 19:46:51

Thank goodness you have a boy not a girl!

TidyDancer Fri 24-Jun-11 19:47:50

I do not reinforce stupid stereotypes with my DCs. While your PFB can undoubtedly survive without a pony, don't deny him one because he is a boy. How ridiculous would that be?!

DirtyMartini Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:02

If it doesn't make sense even to you then FGS, change your mind - it is possible to fight against your own prejudices, y'know.

Nobody is stopping you just going for it. How old is he?

catgirl1976 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:34

Why zillion? Because I would turn into nightmare pushy mother and foist my own preferences on her? TBH you are probably right - lucky escape perhaps.....

CMOTdibbler Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:58

YABU - my 5 year old ds has loved horses since he first clapped eyes on one, and has his own pony which he loves deeply.

He also does ballet and gymnastics - because he wants to. And I get really annoyed with people saying he should do or not do stuff cos he's a boy

GrimmaTheNome Fri 24-Jun-11 19:49:29

Well, wait and see how your DS feels about it instead then - if you're in the lucky position to be able to offer your child this opportunity, offer it!

DD went to a 'pony party' last year where they had lots of the kids who muck out for rides as leaders - while it was mostly girls, there were a couple of obviously horse-mad boys too.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 24-Jun-11 19:49:30

Oh don't be so ridiculous. If the boy wants a pony and you have the money and inclination towards ponies then get him one. If he doesn't want one then don't.

thisisyesterday Fri 24-Jun-11 19:50:57

yes, you're being ridiculous and no, i have not been, nor do i know anyone else who has been, so sexist with their children.

turns out though, that regardless of what "baby born" does, newborns can't ride horses so going "straight out to get her a pony" really would be quite pointless anyway, you would need to wait, just like you would for a boy hmm

catgirl1976 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:51:04

I totally accept I am being an idiot. I just can't work out WHY I feel that way when I know its illogical and wrong.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 24-Jun-11 19:51:39

I assumed that zillion meant that if you were so silly and gender-biased with a boy, Christ knows what gender-related nonsense you'd foist on a girl. Can she only be a secretary or nurse? Work with children perhaps? I know it's silly but I can't help myself...

God this place is giving me the hump today.
<logs out>

Glitterknickaz Fri 24-Jun-11 19:52:26

I will say though that DS2 is the only boy in his class, there's nine girls.
Which is ridiculous. The physical and therapeutic benefits of riding are massive.

sprinkles77 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:53:36

YABU, so you'd get a daughter a pony whether she was interested or not, but not bother for your son. More money than sense comes to mind.

Riveninside Fri 24-Jun-11 19:53:37

I want a pony <sulk>

TidyDancer Fri 24-Jun-11 19:55:05

<joins Riven in the sulking corner>

<offers sulking biscuits>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now