Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder why, if men are so spatially aware, they cannot load the dishwasher properly?

(24 Posts)
Wigglesmummy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:56:23

And sorry if this is a question people ask all the time. Coming to the end of a lovely 2 week holiday but this aspect puzzles me more every day ... Sure I am not a control freak by the way ...

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 14:57:24

Your man, maybe. The whole "all men are/do <insert here>" is just lazy and irritating.

TrilllianAstra Fri 24-Jun-11 14:59:20

1 - men being more spatially aware is more likely to be a social construct than an innate ability (if it is true at all)

2 - men are just as capable of loading dishwasher as women

QuincyMincemeat Fri 24-Jun-11 15:00:56

my dh can load the dishwasher just fine. Not doing it properly is just laziness

Pesha Fri 24-Jun-11 15:01:58

Ok it may be sexist and a generalisation but you made me laugh!

DP is hopeless at loading the dishwasher. Although so is my 10 yo dd.

I think they do it on purpose to get out of it.

Wigglesmummy Fri 24-Jun-11 15:07:31

Thanks Pesha - it was supposed to be funny not serious. I am intelligent enough to know its sexist and a hideous generalisation without being told but needed some Friday silliness. DH is otherwise v good at 'space' things so I'll go with the 'on purpose' idea.

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 15:09:39

It's just so pervasive, this is about the fourth one I've seen in ten minutes, and I can't help wondering how many women who talk like this and perpetuate silly stereotypes have sons, and whether they think before they put them down in this way.

I'm sure I'll be called joyless now, but I don't care.

TimeWasting Fri 24-Jun-11 15:13:25

He does it because he thinks it's your job to clean up after him.

It's not funny really.

Wigglesmummy Fri 24-Jun-11 15:16:20

I have a son. I never say anything like this to my husband or any one else because I wouldn't want my son to hear it and think it was serious - that's what Mumsnet/ facebook etc are for. Will probably stop using these when he learns to read though. What then? Semaphore?

GrendelsMum Fri 24-Jun-11 15:32:33

Really? My dad is obsessive about loading the dishwasher properly.

I think the real secret is that everyone has their own way to load it, which they KNOW is superior to all alternative solutions.

dadof2ofthem Fri 24-Jun-11 15:38:43

my wife is totaly inpracticle, but she wont let me load the dishwasher, and if i do..she shouts at me ! because i do it so badly.
i think i can load the dishwasher just fine btw.

diddl Fri 24-Jun-11 15:39:24

Is that your "properly", or would anyone else´s do?

Awomancalledhorse Fri 24-Jun-11 15:39:41

My DH can load the dishwasher, I however as a luddite have no idea what to do with it.

SexyDomesticatedDab Fri 24-Jun-11 15:40:56

DS1,2 & 3 can all load a dishwasher, can put on a load of laundry and hang it out on washing line as well as quite a few other tasks too.

So can I.

cat64 Fri 24-Jun-11 15:49:27

Message withdrawn

ShirleyKnot Fri 24-Jun-11 15:51:07

What's going on thner today with all the @silly men aren't they daft at the dishwashert and things'?

Stop it. <frown>

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 24-Jun-11 16:25:52

We have a dishwasher (that was in when we moved here) and whoever designed it needs to be shot, because it is actually impossible to load it properly - you can only get 8 glasses in the top row and then a row of rack things that you can't fit ANYTHING on.

Doesn't matter if you are man or woman or NASA scientist - this on wwould defeat anyone!

TrilllianAstra Fri 24-Jun-11 16:34:24

pigmonkey

YankNCock Fri 24-Jun-11 16:36:15

There was a test on the BBC website a while back for whether you had a 'male brain' or a 'female brain'. One of the components of the test was spatial ability, and I completely kicked DH's arse on that section.

Tangential, I know, but I just wanted to brag.

He also can't read maps.

Glitterknickaz Fri 24-Jun-11 17:05:45

Oooh no.
DH is very precise about how the dishwasher is loaded.
Although he always puts a bit too much in it so it doesn't wash properly.

ShirleyKnot Fri 24-Jun-11 17:15:43

LOL trillian

loiner45 Fri 24-Jun-11 17:17:52

my exh couldn't tackle anything that was technical, dishwasher, washing machine, computer, mobile phone .... totally hopeless with anything post 18th C really - If I wasn't around he would have to get one of the dds to fix things for him! must be costing him a fortune in tech support now that he's gone:-) unless OW is tech savvy!

my dad taught me from a very early age to change plugs and not be afraid of technology

breatheslowly Fri 24-Jun-11 17:38:36

My DH packs the dishwasher perfectly and has taught me his preferences as I apparently get it wrong if left to my own devices.

mousymouse Fri 24-Jun-11 17:45:32

my dh gets double the stuff into the dishwasher than I. and it all gets clean. I can't pack a suitcase well either. hence packing is his job, I only need to tell him what needs packing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now