Talk

Advanced search

To think toddlers ask the most wonderful but unanswerable questions?

(116 Posts)
doradaisy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:54:05

Here are a few of my best ones from DD age 3 and 3 quarters:

'Why don't sheep have heels mummy?'

'Do wolves like eating raw bacon?'

'Why is fire hot?'

smile

kenobi Fri 24-Jun-11 14:56:46

I can answer two of those for you if you like? wink

My favourite was "Why is the sky?" Not why is it blue or whatever, just 'why'.

That got me...

doradaisy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:57:13

or and another for all you botanical experts out there 'how do you make a back garden?'

hatwoman Fri 24-Jun-11 14:57:24

why are there people?

hatwoman Fri 24-Jun-11 14:57:51

where is my birthday?

My DS asked what he came out of......my tummy or my bum hole!!!!!! I had to lie and tell him tummy, he will be traumatised when he finally realises where he came out of smile

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 14:59:09

They aren't unanswerable at all. Why not try answering their questions, they are trying to learn.

FreudianSlipper Fri 24-Jun-11 15:01:29

ds is the same age

he has a fascination on how animals cry and are sick. how do snakes cry, i couldn't answer

mistressploppy Fri 24-Jun-11 15:02:04

Oh, MsTeak, that's a little mean.

itisnearlysummer Fri 24-Jun-11 15:03:09

Is Foucault a planet?

Does God have a winkle?

itisnearlysummer Fri 24-Jun-11 15:03:46

Ok. I can answer the first.

itisnearlysummer Fri 24-Jun-11 15:04:04

And probably the second too...

doradaisy Fri 24-Jun-11 15:05:22

Of course we try Ms Teak!

'Unanswerable' in the figurative sense, as in difficult to answer.

Tut tut, not very up on the old rhetoric, are we??
;)

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 15:06:27

Why is it mean? confused

"Do wolves like eating raw bacon"? Talk about what wolves eat, not difficult. "How do you make a back garden?" not hard to explain that you add on a bit of empty land when you build a house, and put flowers/trees etc in it.

I'm not being mean, I just don't get why you wouldn't. Of course they ask questions you maybe can't answer, but most of these are not them.

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 15:07:15

and unanswerable doesn't mean difficult to answer in any sense, "figurative" or otherwise. hmm

itisnearlysummer Fri 24-Jun-11 15:09:27

I think MsTeak it's not that they're unanswerable, just that they sometimes sound a little confused or just funny coming out of such a small person, or that they are just questions we wouldn't think to ask.

It's just nice to be reminded of the innocence and curiosity of children.

Sometimes they ask questions that can be answered but it's not always easy to answer them the way a 3 year old would understand.

itisnearlysummer Fri 24-Jun-11 15:10:28

And it's amusing to have a little insight into their thoughts and what's been puzzling them today!

doradaisy Fri 24-Jun-11 15:11:05

ok, ok Ms Teak.

I should have titled the post 'interesting AND sometimes unanswerable questions' toddlers ask.

was just prompting for a light-hearted post to find out about other questions toddlers might ask gawd dammit!!

how on earth would you know how/if/in what manner or detail I attempted to answer them??

lighten up!!

philmassive Fri 24-Jun-11 15:11:30

What's inside grass?

Er... more grass?

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 15:11:59

yes I agree, summer. I have a 3 year old, and he's delicious. I love talking to them at that age, they are so interested in everything, its great.

knittedbreast Fri 24-Jun-11 15:12:18

Mrs Teak-i challenge you.
"Whats god made from"

go on. im waiting smile

kirsty12321 Fri 24-Jun-11 15:12:25

The little Boy I look after today saw a black man, at three years old this man was obviously not the first black person he had seen but probably the first he had paid attention to, pointing and shouting 'why that's mans skin all brown? Is he really dirty?!' when I (and kindly the man in question!) explained it to him we got the reply 'I don't believe his skin is not dirty, because his hands are not'
Thankfully this man was very understanding and helped me explain.. Red faced on the bus!

CadleCrap Fri 24-Jun-11 15:12:34

Wow, just wow! A fab example of how to extract all fun from a humourous thread.

GypsyMoth Fri 24-Jun-11 15:12:37

'is that the receipt for me?' ....(looking at his birth certificate)

and

'where do the stars go in the daytime?'

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 15:14:05

"Whats god made from"
Very simple in my house..."nothing darling, its a story other people like, its not real".
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now