Talk

Advanced search

To feel stupid

(17 Posts)
nevermindthegap Fri 24-Jun-11 14:40:22

for accepting a delivery without checking it. I bought an Ikea black sofa that is already set-up, they delivered a cream cloth sofa which needs to be assembled. I've called the customer service but when someone picks up the phone all they say is "hello Ikea croydon, Tracy speaking how can I help you" then they go quite. First time I only realised that there wasn't a human listening to me after I explained why I was calling. Second and third times were answered by men, who after hello...... then they pretended they couldn't hear me. I called a different branch and spoke to someone who confirmed there was nothing wrong with my phone and was sure they were deliberately pretending not to hear especially if they were short staffed.

I now have to hire a van to take the sofa back and to pay them to bring the other which I'm definately going to check before paying.grin

Erm...I dont understand how you can buy a black sofa set up and accept delivery of a cream sofa not set up one....did you have a blindfold on grin

nevermindthegap Fri 24-Jun-11 16:12:12

Yes, the blindfold was in the form of the over excitement of having the new sofa grin.

mummyosaurus Fri 24-Jun-11 16:16:10

You need to get really cross with them and insist they come and exchange it.

Did you pay for it on a credit card? Maybe you could put a hold on the payment, that would get them moving.

We bought some office furniture from ikea years ago and it was damaged. Ikea is 80 miles away, my mild mannered DH went mad and after a lot of hassle, another faulty unit, missed deliveries, got a refund and vowed never to shop there again.

Good luck.

DurhamDurham Fri 24-Jun-11 16:17:01

That was quite a big over sight!! I thought the sofa had a scatch or rip but it's the wrong shape, size, colour and type of sofa! grin

fedupofnamechanging Fri 24-Jun-11 16:26:32

The Ikea website has a facility where you can talk to an advisor live on line. Also, don't know if you have this phone number (01733293300) for talking to someone.

If you've paid for delivery, then it is their job to collect wrong product and arrange delivery of the right one.

I, too am a bit pissed with ikea. They damaged my delivery in transit. I'd waited 3 weeks for it and now have to wait another 3 for them to redeliver.

Thing is, they have you over a barrel, because you can hardly go somewhere else and get ikea goods.

nevermindthegap Fri 24-Jun-11 19:03:55

Thanks to all of you.

karma I have called that number and spoke a DHL guy who couldn't find my order. Fair enough the sofa wasn't delivered by them.
mummyo I did pay by the card and the transaction is already showing on my statement. I would be cross with them if they actually spoke to me.

Cocoflower Fri 24-Jun-11 19:10:58

It is their responsibilty to get the right sofa to you.
When they accepted payment they accepted a contract with you to deliever the goods you ordered.

You must persist they sort this mess out. Do not get a van.

Frankly I hate Ikea after a set of their drawers collapsed on 4 year old,trapping her underneath.

They are an appalling company.

loiner45 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:17:44

I've got IKEA stuff still going strong after 20+ yrs and 2 house moves! am very happy with them :-)

jennypenney Fri 24-Jun-11 19:21:57

I am sure you have already done so, but did you check inside all the packaging when the cream sofa arrived? The reason I ask is that I recently bought a lovely red sofa from IKEA and got very panicky when it arrived because it was cream. But when I discovered that they pack the cover separately, my face matched it grin

However, if you've paid for them to assemble it they should definitely have assembled it. And the "pretending not to hear you" angry on the other end of the phone is disgraceful, I would definitely make a written complaint.

M0naLisa Fri 24-Jun-11 19:22:54

so you HAVE to hire a van, take it back then pay THEM to redeliver yours??

i think not, id charge THEM the cost of the van hire.

cheeky bastards!!

piedpiper4 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:28:35

Speak to your trading standards. I'm pretty sure that theres a 14 day period whereby if goods aren't delivered 'fit for purpose' then the company have to correct the mitake. Supplying the incorrect sofa would be part of this- It was for me when a company delivered the incorrect wardrobe...but that was 2 years ago.

nevermindthegap Fri 24-Jun-11 20:07:56

Thank you again, I've spoken to the wembley Ikea and they have agreed to deliver the correct sofa on tuesday.grin

fedupofnamechanging Fri 24-Jun-11 21:04:52

Glad you've got it sorted. Tell them to bring some Marabou chocolate(the only reason I go to Ikea in Cardiff) with them when they deliver the sofa, by way of compensation smile

nevermindthegap Fri 24-Jun-11 21:17:51

karmabelievergrin

mummyosaurus Sat 25-Jun-11 01:11:43

You can still talk to the credit card company and they can retract the payment. I'd ring them tomorrow.

You have not received the goods you have paid for.

mummyosaurus Sat 25-Jun-11 01:12:13

Ah good, just saw you have got it sorted. Fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now