Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet Jury - computer in bedroom at 4?

(103 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 07:32:16

DS2 who has ASD loves the computer. He likes to play a couple of games and watch youtube videos. Its his obsession and he gets alot of comfort out of it. I want to get him one for his bedroom so he doesnt always hog the family computer and so he can use it when he wakes up early in the morning.

I didnt let DS1 get a computer in his room til he was 8 and he wanted to use it for his homework and his animation stuff.

AIBU? I dont think I am but something feels a bit wrong.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 24-Jun-11 07:34:27

Personally I don't like the idea of pcs in the bedroom. How about a laptop that can be used at certain times?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 24-Jun-11 07:35:41

YABU... Why not supply a laptop for him? It can be set up on the kitchen table or somewhere else in sight and you can switch it off when you think he'ds done enough.

mummymeister Fri 24-Jun-11 07:39:40

DS2 sounds too young and vulnerable to be left alone on the web. he might click innocently on a pop up and go to an unsuitable site or might download a virus onto your computer again accidentally. Some videos on youtube are pretty graphic. do you really want him seeing these when you arent around? i can understand your reasons but yabu and i think you sort of know that anyway.

faverolles Fri 24-Jun-11 07:48:46

What mummymeister said

MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 07:51:29

I didnt think of that - DS cant actually work the computer so he just watches queued up videos.

InLimboAgain Fri 24-Jun-11 07:54:52

we're getting dd a netbook for her 8th birthday. We ummed & ahhed about it a lot as it feels so indulgent, but she's using my laptop a lot (mostly for typing stories, actually!) and school is beginning to make noises about computer based homework, plus i cannot wait to see her face when she opens it!!

BUT - big but -it won't be kept in her room! We will set up every parenting whatsit we can and will still monitor everything she does on it.

Firawla Fri 24-Jun-11 07:55:04

it seems too young, i wouldn't personally

Happymm Fri 24-Jun-11 07:59:12

Is far too young. My DS (5) was using my iPad, watching Thomas Tank videos on YouTube, we then heard some very very rude words, as apparently Thomas was a bitching motherfucker! shock though personally i fully suspect that thomas certainly is one! He'd clicked on someone's homemade and adapted Thomas by mistake!

EveHarrington Fri 24-Jun-11 08:07:47

Sorry, I know I shouldn't, but grin @ Happymm

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 24-Jun-11 08:07:57

No way, Jose - and Mario and Luigi. Your ds is far too young for unsupervised access to the net or youtube.

EveHarrington Fri 24-Jun-11 08:09:36

On a serious note though, 4 is a bit too young. Then again, STBXH had his first computer at 5 (back in the '70s) and was pretty much allowed free reign on it. Then again, the Internet as it is now didn't exist back then, so I suppose PIL would have had fewer concerns.

pointissima Fri 24-Jun-11 08:10:38

14 is too young for a computer in the bedroom, let alone 4!

WowOoo Fri 24-Jun-11 08:12:40

There is no way I'd do that.
Ds1 , who is 5, would never leave his room!

He had limits on PC as it is and I find that he hogs it. He's also accidentally clicked on something he shouldn't but we were there to step in and turn it off before he asked what 'motherfuckers' meant. (was a Mario and Luigi homemade vid strangley enough...)

2rebecca Fri 24-Jun-11 08:13:44

No. Buying another computer for the household so more than 1 of you can go on at a time is reasonable. putting the extra computer in a child's room isn't. My oldest age 14 has only just been allowed a computer in his room, and that will be taken away if he uses it when he's supposed to be in bed.

bubblecoral Fri 24-Jun-11 08:16:00

No Way! Get a laptop.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 24-Jun-11 08:20:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaneBennet Fri 24-Jun-11 08:24:29

I'm another one on the too young to have one in their bedroom, where they would have free rein on the internet. DS(8) has saved his birthday money for a laptop, but he will be required to use the internet where we can monitor him i.e. sitting room, kitchen table.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 24-Jun-11 08:26:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lottiejenkins Fri 24-Jun-11 08:28:22

four is way way too young....................

mousesma Fri 24-Jun-11 08:30:27

I wouldn't let a child of any age have a PC in their bedroom and that includes wireless devices such as iPod and mobiles that give access to the internet. You wouldn't believe the stuff my "trustworthy" and "sensible" teenage niece got up to in the few months she was allowed unmonitored access.

A laptop or netbook is definitely the way to go.

FreudianSlipper Fri 24-Jun-11 08:31:02

no. i rather ds play with other toys rather than computer games, he is 4 in september it will be a good few years until he has his own computer there is just no need for him to use one.

mousesma Fri 24-Jun-11 08:33:03

That is true PrinceHumperdink but the poster has said her DS wants to use it for YouTube which assumes internet access. Still even without internet access I wouldn't allow it at 4 for the same reason I wouldn't allow a TV in the room at that age.

Cuppacake Fri 24-Jun-11 08:34:10

I am not keen on computers in the bedroom at any age really but, thats just me personally. I have all the computers in the study and dont allow any in the bedrooms.

I would suggest the laptop idea as well because you can put him near you and/or the family computer. I would also be very careful with youtube as there is some scary stuff on there that is only one click away. My youngest ds is 10 and I still watch like a hawk when he is on the net.

cwtch4967 Fri 24-Jun-11 08:35:09

DD 5 has a computer in her bedroom - DH works in IT and set it up for her, the only internet she can access is cbeebies and that is very limited! She uses it for playing games and art programmes. We live in a bungalow so I am able to supervise closely too. My DS (3) has ASD and learning difficulties and we have a TV on the wall in his room so he can watch DVDs early in the morning - he likes watching videos with me but can't turn the TV on let alone use a computer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now