Talk

Advanced search

DS2's teacher is striking, but not DS1's

(51 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Thu 23-Jun-11 18:51:16

AIBU to keep them both off?

(I know I probably am, but thought I would ask anyway grin)

littleducks Thu 23-Jun-11 18:55:47

Its hard, I would be tempted to keep both off but then the problem is that you are then not supporting the teacher who isn't striking......which if you are against the strikes isn't great....but then again your ds 2's teacher could strike soon if they are in the other union....

Hulababy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:58:07

Officially, yabu - the child who has a class open should go to school. If he doesn't he will be down as an unauthorised absence for that day,

In reality - I suspect many parents will be keeping both children off where they are in this situation. Many schools are taking the approach of only closing classes if the teacher is on strike, so it affects many people.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 23-Jun-11 18:58:40

YABU.

I have 3 children and which ever teachers were in school/striking I would have taken the children in.

Tortu Thu 23-Jun-11 19:05:31

Nah. If I was in on that day I'd be expecting half the students to be off and to have chosen some nice DVDs for the others to watch accordingly. Keep them off if it's easier for you.

MarioandLuigi Thu 23-Jun-11 19:05:44

Bah! I know I was BU. DS2 only goes in afternoons at the moment but he has a lovely routine (he has ASD and LD so loves his routine) and it was going to be so much easier to stay away, but I know your right and I should go in smile

bigTillyMint Thu 23-Jun-11 19:07:14

It may well go down as unauthorised absence if DS1 is off when his class is open. If you are bothered wink

NoelEdmondshair Thu 23-Jun-11 19:07:28

I would have said you should keep the other off, however, littleducks makes a good point about supporting the non-striking teacher.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 23-Jun-11 19:08:43

YANBU - keep them both off! We did this a few years ago, had a lovely day out all together - why on earth should you be messed around by this ridiculous situation any more than you have to be.

Hulababy Thu 23-Jun-11 19:10:45

I am not convinced the non striking teacher needs support tbh though. They are probably just unaffected as in a different union. They may vote to strike in the future though.

You know, MrsGuy, as a teacher, I'm so incredibly beyond giving a shit what you think about it being a ridiculous situation worrying about my pension rights - and girl, you think it'll stop here under the TOries, you kid yourself.... that I would FULLY encourage any parent to encourage a child to go down as an unauthorised absence. Bring it on. Really. Maybe your children will benefit from citizenship and PSHE lessons in secondary school where they will learn the value of society, supporting others who are maybe more vulnerable than they are, and learning about having a conscience. God forbid you'll ever be in the position where you are being targeted by a government who are not really giving a shit about public sector workers and who do not want to abide by fully democratic processes going on in their country.

Hmmm. Did that come across as being just a weeny bit chippy? Yes? Good.

pooka Thu 23-Jun-11 19:23:48

Our school has written to say if we keep the child who has a non-striking teacher at home with sibling with striking teacher, it will NOT be seen as unauthorised absence. They understand.

Now, dd has just had her tonsils put so would be off anyway. Her teacher will be working. Ds1s teacher also working. I don't think I will and him though - my grandfather was an NUT shop steward and I support the teachers who are striking. It doesn't sit right with me to be taking him in, authorised absence or not.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 23-Jun-11 19:25:17

Iif you got your selfish way on your own Pension - which you won't as it is futile gesture - simple maths - it would be those vulnerble paying for your better pension.
Striking for your own benefits is the least possible 'solidarity' with the vulnerable. And if my son's teacher is also deluded enough to think it is, probabaly a good thing he has one fewer day being taught by her.

bubblecoral Thu 23-Jun-11 19:27:03

yabu, it's the perfect and probably quite rare chance to have some one to one time with one of your children.

I'd be well up for only one of my dc's teachers striking at a time.

Pooka, hate to say it, but that's probably your school trying to encourage maximum numbers of children out of school, so that it's less hassle for the NASUWT members who haven't struck yet, because they're STILL waiting for a government response to their legal challenge.

NASUWT members will not cover for any striking teacher - that's against TUC regulations. Union members are not meant to cover for strikers from other unions, as that is against the spirit of the strike, and so the HT and other senior management are probably worrying about how to cover all the bases.

Oh - and dont' forget - they have to report on unauthorised absences to OfSTED and to league tables. SO many unauthorised would look dreadful on their stats.

Cynical? LOL!

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 23-Jun-11 19:39:47

grin what a charming person. Easy to see why you couldn't cut it in your sales job...grin

pooka Thu 23-Jun-11 19:39:54

Don't see ow it would make a difference to NASUWT teachers. They will be there and will teach only those children they would usually teach - minus and siblings kept off as per the arrangement.

The support staff (TAs and ancillary staff) not in NUT or other union. So no extra hardship at lunch and breaks. Head teacher there too and deputy as well.

So I don't think they're scared they won't manage, given that only those classes with teachers will be in.

Can see your point re: ofsted.

BatmanLovesRobin Thu 23-Jun-11 19:42:13

I'm a teacher in NASUWT, therefore not striking.
DS1's teacher is, and I fully support her. My HT went a bit green when I suggested I might have to have the day off (unpaid) as well though, if my husband couldn't get the day off smile
I know full well some of my class will be off with their siblings, and frankly I'm all for them having some quality time with their parents. You obviously want to spend time with your child, or you would send them to the open class. So, YANBU.

We've had a lot of parents in demanding to know what provision we were making in terms of childcare for working parents. I don't think they really got it hmm

The support staff might be with Unison? there's talk of them plus NAS going out together - if there is not agreement with the government when it responds to the legal challenges currently ongoing.
Re. OfSTED - unauthorised can be a real bugger if you're in an area with good competition for the children's places. It might be that the local council has given the go-ahead for all schools to do this? It would help the county look good, viv-a-vis national statistics too.
Our HT is NAS - he's having to teach a lot of lessons that day, which isn't going down well with NAS members in the school, however he is caught between a rock and a hard place, I feel...

pooka Thu 23-Jun-11 19:44:55

Shock horror. Why on earth shouldn't teachers strike when the terms and conditions of their pension are being changed under them?

Not selfish. Would be mad not to.

Don't see many other sectors where employees unselfishly write off benefits/money for the greater good. So why should the goodwill and care of teachers be abused? Why pick on them?

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 23-Jun-11 19:51:14

Fine to strike, but teachers like to be considered 'professionals' - are there any other professions that strike..?

youarekidding Thu 23-Jun-11 19:51:14

Support staff in my school are Unison. Think that is the main one from most education employees (out with teachers) that I know of.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 23-Jun-11 19:53:49

And it's not for the greater good - its because that's the reality of the situation. But a lot more fun to stick you fingers in your ears and sing la la la. Doesn't change anything - just makes the strikers look foolish, and lose respect.

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 19:54:27

I like Lost. smile You go girl! Thank fuck there are still people around who will stand up for what they believe in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now