Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think my toddler is normal

(21 Posts)
biddysmama Thu 23-Jun-11 13:58:58

she is 27 months, very good language skills, very chatty... she doesnt do as she is told, says no.. has temper tantrums and throws herself on the floor, carries on doing things you have told her not to do..sometimes when very stressed she bites and scratches, she has some jealousy problems aimed at her 9 month old brother and she pushes and scratches if he tries to touch something she wants (and sometimes for no reason)

aibu to think this is a normal stage (ie terrible two's) my husband thinks not... ,my 9 year old has aspergers so we arent used to 'normal' (cant think of another word) development stages... what do you think?

thursday Thu 23-Jun-11 14:01:02

sounds pretty normal to me

ilovedora27 Thu 23-Jun-11 14:02:30

yeah totally normal.

Anniegetyourgun Thu 23-Jun-11 14:06:10

From my memories of four children, a brother, sister, large numbers of cousins, a niece, three nephews and myself (the last being fairly hazy, of course): yeah, pretty normal. Or at least very common.

CoffeeDog Thu 23-Jun-11 14:06:57

sounds like my 2 - Especially if they are tired - the fangs and claws come out ;)

hiccymapops Thu 23-Jun-11 14:06:59

Sounds completely normal to me. Ds2 went through a really paddying/hitting/biting/ fighting with ds1 stage a few months ago. He was 2 in December. I was really worried as ds1 was never that aggressive, we had dd1 in February and he was lovely to her, just seemed to be going through some sort phase with the rest of us ( I considered getting him enrolled in some sort of anger management class grin ) Hoped it was just a terrible twos phase, and it seems it was. We have our lovely child back again. It really could just be a phase they're going through.

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 23-Jun-11 14:08:37

Sounds very typical!

hiccymapops Thu 23-Jun-11 14:08:39

Said phase a lot on all that! grin

LoonyRationalist Thu 23-Jun-11 14:21:58

I too have a 27 month old & it does sound very familiar - totally normal I would say.
She can do as she is told & follow instructions - she just doesn't choose to very often hmm
She has recently started a horrible phase of hitting me when I tell her not to do something & has also worked out that she can hurt her sister (4.9) by winding her fingers in her hair & pulling. I am manically repeating "this is a phase" to myself ;)

biddysmama Thu 23-Jun-11 14:27:20

thankyou everyone, feel much better now, dh keeps saying his nieces/nephews/friends toddlers arent like that.. and i keep telling him that he doesnt live with them! hmm

loony, thats it exactly! she completely understands what i'm saying to her, she just ignores me and does what she wants instead

CoffeeDodger Thu 23-Jun-11 14:28:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thursday Thu 23-Jun-11 14:34:40

yeah, my 22mo knows exactly what i'm saying, she just doesnt care. and her and her brother scrap a fair bit. all good fun! smile

Insomnia11 Thu 23-Jun-11 14:34:51

Yep, totally normal. DD2 is 28 months now and getting more amenable and calm by the week, seems to be turning the corner. (Though DD1 coud be a right little madam at 3 and 4 also there were fewer clashes than when she was two) Not long ago she was hitting other toddlers and snatching toys...one day the CM had her on the naughty step for half an hour because she would not say sorry!

nadia77 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:57:36

awwwww it's very normal! they do get over that stage tried reward chart she sounds very bright maybe she'll like the whole sticking and rewarding bit of it worked wonders with my 1st second is asd so only praises works with him,

pinkthechaffinch Thu 23-Jun-11 16:00:17

My dd2 is nearly 29 months now and is turning a corner!!!

will now occasionally get dressed without a 5 act drama!

yours sounds normal to me

coccyx Thu 23-Jun-11 17:22:49

Never had a child that scratches or bites, but I would say the rest is normal pushing the boundaries behaviour. Still needs pulling into line though. Normal but needs to know not acceptable

CBear6 Thu 23-Jun-11 17:27:02

DS is 22mo and is pretty much exactly the same except for the jealousy part, although I'm sure he'll start that when his sister comes along in September.

He chatters away non-stop and if I start a conversation with someone else he will say "mama ... Mama .... Mam ... Mam ... Mammy ... mama ... Mamamamamamamama" etc in various tones and volumes until I ask him "what baby?" and he'll just giggle. He climbs everything, even people if they stay still long enough. He drew all over the sofa in blue pen, he got the pen by climbing his toy box while I was in the loo, he presented his handiwork with a "ta-da!" and a grin. He (accidentally) headbutted DH and made DH's nose bleed. I need a new raincover for the buggy because mine is ripped after he took a tantrum at being covered in, grabbed it, and pulled. When he goes out on his reins, as soon as he gets bored he gets on all fours and pretends to be a horse. I have to leave my washing machine, drier, and cooker switched off at the wall otherwise he puts things in them and switches them on. A few weeks ago we spent an evening in A&E because he swallowed a pound coin.

I commented to a friend of mine about it, her little boy is 9 months older than DS and I said he's so well behaved and DS is a terror. She said yes, but six months ago so was he and it's just a matter of time and persistence and they'll grow out of it.

gapants Thu 23-Jun-11 17:29:46

Are you describing my DS? smile

He is just the same, totally normal behaviour I would say, but bloody draining it can be!

Will share, play nicely, take turns, complete puzzles, read books on my lap, paint, bake cakes, garden, help tidy up and all the business when he wants and can concentrate on a single task for up to 20m. On the other hand he will lob toys, snatch, pull hair, throw tantrums, refuse to wear long sleeved tops, scream and shout when he is on one. He is 2.6m.

OneHelluvaBroad Thu 23-Jun-11 17:30:09

Normal. I have an older child with AS and a younger child who is NT. Younger one is 2.5 yrs old right now and can be a little devil. I know what you mean about not having been through the 'normal' developmental stages, though. Throws you off a bit.

cantpooinpeace Thu 23-Jun-11 17:36:36

Yes you are describing my son, daughter was an angel compared but I see plenty of this behaviour in my son & various toddler groups etc smile

mrsjohnsimm Thu 23-Jun-11 17:39:03

Oh yes, normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now