Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to watch any more women's tennis

(14 Posts)
PanicMode Thu 23-Jun-11 13:28:20

The GRUNTING - OMG STOP IT!!!!!!!

I know!! I watched Venus Williams yesterday....she was screaming...must be very off putting for their opponents!! And dont me started on what she was wearing.......a nappy??? shock

YANBU!

PanicMode Thu 23-Jun-11 13:30:45

She did look utterly ridiculous!!! Mind you, perhaps not as bad as that player in her 'Lady Gaga' get up!

GypsyMoth Thu 23-Jun-11 13:31:40

i've got serena on now....ds keeps looking up in shock at the tv

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Thu 23-Jun-11 13:32:23

It's ridiculous, isn't it? Don't they know how stupid they sound? Bloody competative grunting. Mine is louder than yours is. hmm

I have read interviews where they claim that they have to do it because it helps the ball go further.

hmm pushed along on sound waves? blown by the forceful gust that goes with the grunt?

I know - what was that bloody hideous jacket all about???? Right, gonna make my colleague put the tv on now, grunting or no grunting, lol!

Insomnia11 Thu 23-Jun-11 13:33:10

The grunting is incredibly annoying.

QueenofDreams Thu 23-Jun-11 13:33:33

DP and I were talking about this last night. Why the need to scream every time they hit the ball? Apparently one woman got recorded at 90 decibels with her screams!

PanicMode Thu 23-Jun-11 13:33:52

Date-Krumm wasn't making any noise and almost beat Serena, so it is possible to play sublime tennis without the grunting!!

I want to support Robson and watch her, but I can't bear Sharapova's nonsense so will have to watch with the sound off...

OMG - they are both at the grunting today!!!!! Oooh, a scream then too shock

begonyabampot Thu 23-Jun-11 13:36:48

Don't the men grunt as well though? a bit of grunting is fine considering how much power they are using.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Thu 23-Jun-11 13:37:56

An involuntary expulsion of air or whathaveyou is to be expected. But these folks are making a meal out of it and doing it for effect, imo.

PanicMode Thu 23-Jun-11 13:38:48

begonyabampot - they do a bit, but not on EVERY SINGLE POINT regardless of whether it's a long forehand or a dropshot.....drives me bonkers and it's so unladylike grin

PanicMode Thu 23-Jun-11 13:40:03

I believe some academies teach them to grunt, but it's so unsporting, and makes watching unbearable IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now