Advanced search

not to want to listen to a Harpic ad when on MN

(19 Posts)
zipadeedoda Thu 23-Jun-11 10:55:01

WTF - first a Harpic ad was playing and then Veet ....hmm

AuntieMonica Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:28

my screen has a volume button right there----------------------------->

BooBooGlass Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:43

Yep, I got the veet one too. Now have laptop on mute which is a damn shame. But it's nothing compared to the blasted Disney ones of yore. It's like they're peering at me through the screen. 'Tidy up woman. And sort your legs while you're at it.' I mean, Veet? Really?? Do I take it they don't run that ad if you're browsing the feminist section?

ImeldaM Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:55

Agree, really annoying, gave me a fright when it started

LisasCat Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:59

Just as I read your thread title this happened to me. I bloody hate websites who use ads with sound without asking your permission first. I don't want to leave my computer on mute all the time, but websites should ask permission before they blare out adverts. You could be in work, or in the library, or even have a sleeping baby lying on your lap. Especially bad form for MN, who should be very aware of the liklihood of the last possibility.

ChairOfTheBored Thu 23-Jun-11 10:58:56

I'm so pleased someone started this thread. It's annoying the carp out of me, but was too scared to be the first one to complain.

Damn you Veet. And I'm looking at you too Harpic.

ChairOfTheBored Thu 23-Jun-11 10:59:31

Oh, well, actually, it's annoying the crap out of me. Not a large ornamental fish.

In case you were wondering.

QueenofDreams Thu 23-Jun-11 11:00:11

I had also just read the title when suddenly got startled by the bloody advert. YANBU.

It's especially annoying as I already use Harpic power plus.

QueenofDreams Thu 23-Jun-11 11:00:40

PMSL at annoying the carp grin

Anniegetyourgun Thu 23-Jun-11 11:00:41

Some kindly soul has started a complaint thread on the Site Stuff topic.

Volume button duly pressed, but sometimes I like to listen to music on my PC while browsing. That's why the volume was on in the first place.

LisasCat Thu 23-Jun-11 11:02:58

Exactly Annie. The sound card on my computer exists to allow me to listen to music. Why the hell should I have to work in silence because bloody irresponsible advertising bastards agencies think they have the right to invade our personal space in every manner possible. Visual adverts can be ignored. Not sound ones.

Lesterlassone Thu 23-Jun-11 11:08:34

I'm at work and use headphones for audio sometimes. The headphones were actually hanging down the back of my desk, not in use, but I could hear a strange tinny sound coming from somewhere ...... tracked it down and, yes, there was some man going on about cleaning products!

Clicked on MN - lo and behold there's a thread. Perfect timing! And no, I do not want to receive random ads please MNHQ.

Isitreally Thu 23-Jun-11 11:10:25

YANBU - The flashy ones are distracting enough but I hate any website that has unexpected music or noise. Some of us shouldn't be on here you know!

Isitreally Thu 23-Jun-11 11:11:11

There is a mute button on the advert though I think. Well I clicked something and it went off anyway.

YANBU - it made me jump and I had to go onto facebook to calm myself down! grin

Anniegetyourgun Thu 23-Jun-11 11:14:59

Yeah, but then you change pages and another one starts up.

ILoveYouToo Thu 23-Jun-11 11:18:55

YANBU. It happened for the first time today, and it's really annoying. Stop it please MNHQ!

Fleurdebleurgh Thu 23-Jun-11 11:31:15

Download AdBlockPlus if you have Firefox.

I havent heard or seen any ads here for ages.

babybarrister Thu 23-Jun-11 11:51:08

yes really annoying - YANBU - MNHQ get rid now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now