Talk

Advanced search

To keep my day off to myself?

(14 Posts)
JazzieJeff Thu 23-Jun-11 10:29:47

...And not take DS out of nursery and spend the day with him? I've got today and tomorrow off as I had some annual leave to use up and work isn't that busy at the moment. I usually work ft, so does DH and we put DS who is 8.5 months into a nursery which he gets on with like a house on fire. Lovely then.

But when I got this time off, I was uhhming and ahhing about taking DS out of nursery because I do feel a bit guilty. We have strictly family time at the weekends with swimming lessons, trips to the park, lots of walks and trips to the beach (we live in Cornwall). I've mainly been using the day to unwind a bit, catch up on a bit of housework and MN

My friend looked at me like this hmm when I told her I was still putting DS in nursery, as if I was being terribly selfish. So am I?

Portofino Thu 23-Jun-11 10:31:08

Oh no - YANBU! Days to yourself are precious! Grab the opportunity with both hands and enjoy yourself!

scuzy Thu 23-Jun-11 10:33:30

my god of course your not!!! enjoy your time off... and your little one will benefit from it at the weekend and evenings when they are home from a well rested in good form mammy.

besides i have to pay the creche a full week even if i take my son out so may as well let him go, play with his friends etc and mammy take a rest/go shopping/do some housework whatever!!

you need your own time and dont feel one bit guilty about it!

MrsSnaplegs Thu 23-Jun-11 10:35:45

Make the most of it! I had to have a day off sick yesterday and my DH assumed I would be doing all the Childcare yesterday ( he is sahd) I've come back to work today for a restgrin

itisnearlysummer Thu 23-Jun-11 10:36:29

I used to this and felt incredibly guilty - until I realised DD was having so much fun at the CM's. She wasn't aware that I paid the CM for her to go there whilst I went to work, she just loved it there.

Don't feel guilty. Enjoy some time to yourself just don't waste spend your freedom on here wink

shakey1500 Thu 23-Jun-11 10:37:24

YANBU at all! Think of how much mning you can get done. Or not. Laze around, drink endless whatever takes your fancy, read, listen to music full blast, have a spot of lunch <loves that phrase>

Enjoy, indulge!

Ragwort Thu 23-Jun-11 10:37:51

NO you are not being selfish - why do so many mums** beat themselves up over having some quality 'me time'. (**You rarely hear of a dad feeling guilty for doing his own thing). I am a SAHM (to a school age child grin) - I used to send my DS to a childminder once a week from 6 months and put him in the creche at the gym just so I could do something for myself. Even now, although I have the week to myself - DH and I 'share' the weekends so we always have some time/space on our own.

I have a friend like your's who thinks you and your child can't possibly be happy unless you are constantly joined at the hip - so I rarely tell her what I am doing. Everyone is different - some people genuinely love being surrounded by their family all the time - some of us like a bit of peace and quiet or just time to do something different (just to say, much of my free time is spent doing voluntary work grin). Do what suits you - a happy parent means a happy child.

JazzieJeff Thu 23-Jun-11 10:37:55

Oh scuzy thank goodness you said that! I pay for a full week too and sometimes if I get let off a bit early, I go and get my nails done instead blush

My friend looked at me like I was making a grave mistake... My DH sniggered when I told him and told me I'd soon get over it when I was in the hairdressers minus a shouty baby.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 23-Jun-11 10:38:03

Definitely make the most of it. I think the worst thing about being a SAHM is not getting any of that time to yourself. If I were WOHM, I'd jump at the chance. You'll be happier and rested and DS will have had his usual lovely day at nursery. Win win smile

JazzieJeff Thu 23-Jun-11 10:40:12

Oh ragwort, your life sounds lovely. It must be so rewarding to be a SAHM and do some voluntary work. You must be very proud.

Anniegetyourgun Thu 23-Jun-11 10:43:09

It would be wrong to disrupt your child's routine by taking him out of nursery unexpectedly. <prim expression>

JazzieJeff Thu 23-Jun-11 10:45:29

Annie very good thinking.

Ragwort Thu 23-Jun-11 10:49:22

Jazzie what a lovely comment, thank you blush - now I should get off Mumsnet and do something constructive grin.

veritythebrave Thu 23-Jun-11 11:02:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now