Talk

Advanced search

Please Read - Email scams

(13 Posts)
FraudFairy Wed 22-Jun-11 23:23:44

I am a MN regular (credentials I know why we have a bear and I have been to see the penguins at Birdland but sadly didn't see a lonely bloke in the carpark).

I have namechanged so I can post a bit more detail.

I am a finance professional who works in the City and have seen a fair number of email frauds, scams etc. I sometimes forget that most people may only see one or two in their life.

One of our friends has been taken in by an advanced fee fraud and lost money. See here for more info Financial Services Authority Website

If you ever get an email suggesting you can make money by helping some move money out of their country or the like no matter how many official looking and totally fake documents they produce, delete the email immediately.

When it comes to offers of money especially those by email if it lookes to good too be true it almost certainly is too good to be true.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Wed 22-Jun-11 23:30:17

Thanks, but probably would have the common sense to never help a stranger "move" money anyway! grin

MsHighwater Wed 22-Jun-11 23:31:34

I cannot imagine being taken in by something like this. I must naturally be a cynic skeptic. Must try not to be complacent, though...

FraudFairy Wed 22-Jun-11 23:32:58

Realhousewife Glad to hear it. However, you'd be amazed how many people lose their common sense when people are promising them large sums of money.

OpusProSerenus Wed 22-Jun-11 23:34:35

I am having a phase of getting emails from Lloyds TSB telling me I am locked out of my account and please click on the link to reset my password. Guess what............. I don't have an account with Lloyds TSB!

MrsTwinks Wed 22-Jun-11 23:38:29

DH swears by http://www.419eater.com/index.php for funny crap they make them do... grin

FraudFairy Wed 22-Jun-11 23:40:31

Opus I've had a few of them. You can report them to the phishing team at
emailscams@lloydstsb.co.uk. Just forward the email to them then delete it.

FraudFairy Wed 22-Jun-11 23:43:08

Mrs Twinks I like that site very much indeed. I may have a new hobby.

FraudFairy Wed 22-Jun-11 23:50:36

I'm going to disappear now as I am changing back to my old name so I can stop being sensible and responsible and get back to being sweary and viewing bunfights

<<puts on flak jacket and gumshield>>

QueenStromba Thu 23-Jun-11 01:14:35

I'm so cynical about that sort of email that someone who had managed to hack my debit card account and change the password almost got away with it. I got an email confirming that I'd changed my password saying that if I hadn't I should call this number and since I didn't trust it I called my bank on their customer care number and asked them if it was legit and they told me it wasn't, luckily I'm paranoid enough to have read the email back to them in full to make sure it was fake and then they decided it might not be and put me through to the relevant people.

LadyOfTheCuntryManor Thu 23-Jun-11 06:00:37

The 419 scams are rather amusing. Still, you can't cheat an honest man.

AlpinePony Thu 23-Jun-11 06:40:12

Fuck me! No wonder the banks are in crisis when a 'finance professional' has only just worked this out. ;)

FraudFairy Thu 23-Jun-11 10:52:08

AlpinePony sadly the person who got scammed is an ordinary chap who was a bit silly. Perhaps if he had worked in finance he would have realised that it was a fraud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now