Talk

Advanced search

to not buy toddler chewing gum!!!!

(25 Posts)
debtfreeiwish Wed 22-Jun-11 23:15:48

when i was working recently a woman came up to my till with her young son between the age of 2/3 he was playing up so to keep him happy she bought him a pack of chewing gum to keep him happy!! now is it just me but for gods sake that's got to be the worst thing to buy a child!!!!!

hairfullofsnakes Wed 22-Jun-11 23:36:02

Yanbu at all - what a stupid thing for that woman to do! Some people are so bloody thick!

worraliberty Wed 22-Jun-11 23:37:34

I really do need to have a word with myself.

I read the title and thought 'Toddler chewing gum' was a new product out blush

DontCallMePeanut Wed 22-Jun-11 23:40:56

Yanbu at all

HowlingBitch Wed 22-Jun-11 23:45:24

I bought my 3yo DS chewing gum once! (Of course I did not know it was chewing gum until he commented on how chewy the "chews" I had bought were)

Were they typical minty chewing gum?

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 23-Jun-11 06:00:30

YANBU. I managed to keep DD away from gum until she was eight. Just before she had grommets, the doctor she was seeing prescribed five pieces a day. DD overyjoyed, I was very angry at her chewing like a cow going bonkers for cud.
Seemingly, this may have helped her eustacian tubes. It didn't. All it did was introduce her to it and cause her to pester me for it when we are at the tills.

iscream Thu 23-Jun-11 06:59:30

Yanbu!

Sirzy Thu 23-Jun-11 07:16:27

Yuck I hate chewing gum full stop so would never let Ds have it while he is young enough for me to have any control!

blueeyedmonster Thu 23-Jun-11 07:21:02

Yanbu I don't understand why anyone buys chewing gum let alone for a toddler!!

Theres no way my 3yo would get it.

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 07:33:42

YANBU. DD is 8 and knows she won't be allowed it until she goes to high school.

She was in for an op recently and the nurse was checking she hadn't had anything to eat or drink. She asked "Not even some chewing gum to freshen you up this morning?" (Verboten as it puts air in your stomach.) DD's face was like shock "My mum doesn't let me have chewing gum ever !" grin

cheapskatemum Thu 23-Jun-11 07:37:53

YANBU - loathe it & have never bought it for DSs, now in their teens. In case anyone is ever tempted, think about the number of germs that must multiply every time they finger it, then put it back in their mouth. Then visualise scraping it off the floor, or carpet, once it's all black & trodden in. Thankfully DH & I are in complete agreement on this one.

LittleJennyRobyn Thu 23-Jun-11 09:14:16

No, NBU at all.

I have never bought my DC's Chewing gum, hate the bloody stuff.

of Course DS,s (15 & 12) buy it when they are out with thier mates, And DD (8) will only have it if a friend gives it to her.
But i have told them the first time i find chewed gum on my floors or soft furniture it will be banned permanantly.

I always had a fear of my DC's Choking when they were young as DS (15) often did, used to scare the shit out of me. So gum was a big "No way!"

But to giving it to a three year old!!......WHY???.

LittleJennyRobyn Thu 23-Jun-11 09:16:24

PS, From the title, I also thought that it was a new kind of gum especially for toddlers! grin

debtfreeiwish Thu 23-Jun-11 12:36:47

ha ha see what you mean by the title,lol, i wouldn't let my son have it i'd be a nervous wreck incase of choking.it's like my friend she lets her 2 boys age 3 n 1 have sweet lollypops and she couldn't understand why i wouldn't let mine have one!!

piprabbit Thu 23-Jun-11 12:39:11

I had to wait until I was 16 before my mum would tolerate me using chewing gum - and then only because she felt it was not her job to ban it anymore at that age.

YANBU.

Pinkiemum Thu 23-Jun-11 19:22:35

Chewing gum is great for nausea, only thing that got me through feeling sick everymorning and having to cycle to work. I would rather my toddler chew gum than be sick in a car or on a bus, she gets terrible travel sickness and chewing gum can help to stop this. There are worse things in the world to give your child, what real harm can it do, except give you wind.

mrsbiscuits Thu 23-Jun-11 19:26:39

YANBU My 6 year old has never had chewing gum let alone my 2 year old !!

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jun-11 19:32:50

"Seemingly, this may have helped her eustacian tubes."

It helps when you are flying as well.

MixedClassBaby Thu 23-Jun-11 19:41:14

YANBU. I absolutely detest chewing gum, especially when people chew it with their mouths open. One of my colleagues chews it constantly and makes a click-click-click sound as she does so. It makes me want to slam her face into her desk.

AuntieMonica Thu 23-Jun-11 19:44:29

YANBU

YYY to judging people who let their kids have chewing gum - vile stuff

VforViennetta Thu 23-Jun-11 20:27:36

Why is it vile? I don't get it.

AuntieMonica Thu 23-Jun-11 20:43:36

ever had to cut a lump of the stuff out of a DCs hair, V?

cheesesarnie Thu 23-Jun-11 20:46:11

dd aged 11 and ds1 aged 10 have had it once recently.given to them by a friend.
i wont buy it.ds2 ages 5 wont be having it for along while.

Bunbaker Fri 24-Jun-11 07:41:53

"Why is it vile? I don't get it."

Because to watch someone chewing gum all the time is rather unpleasant. At a christening recently one of the guests chewed gum all the way through the service. Not only was it ugh!, I also thought it was disrespectful.

paisleyII Fri 24-Jun-11 09:15:03

i hate guym, makes people look brain dead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now