Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has experience of assisted conception?

(24 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:02:22

Am going to post in conception as well but wanted to see what kind of responses I got here too.

DP has a chronic pain condition which means we can't have regular penetrative sex (basically, he has ED). We are considering ttc next year. As far as I know neither of us has any fertility issues - but obviously actually conceiving might be an issue!

I know this is incredibly ignorant but what can we do about this? When I have tried looking for info on assisted conception I keep getting websites about IVF, which is presumably not what we need. DP is capable of having an orgasm and thus producing the necessary - just not, er, in me blush.

Is there help available for this kind of situation?

Purplebuns Wed 22-Jun-11 22:05:42

What about buying an insemination kit? I found these when seeking out vitamins Best of luck to you smile

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 22-Jun-11 22:06:10

www.prideangel.com/p51/fertility-pregnancy/Artificial-Insemination-Kits.aspx

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 22-Jun-11 22:06:51

and good luck TTC

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:07:47

Thanks purple. I have been a bit sketchy about doing the homestyle turkey baster route since I didn't really know if it would work or if it was just quackery. But might give those a try when the times comes!

MrsTittleMouse Wed 22-Jun-11 22:08:39

No, you probably won't need IVF. smile

You can have IUI - it's a more medical version of the turkey baster. They take the sperm, wash them, and get them into your uterus via a syringe with a tiny tube at the end. If they need fresh sperm, then your DP would have to ejaculate to order, though, which might be stressful for him if he has a form of ED.

In order to set the treatment up, you would have to have your cycles checked out (no point in putting sperm in when you're not ovulating) and he would have his sperm checked, so you would be having a basic fertility check-up anyway. I don't know if the clinic would ask you to have any more tests done, just in case there is another issue. My doctor would have given it a few goes to see if it worked, but that was private, the NHS probably has different rules.

Good luck! smile

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:08:49

Do you know, if you use those, is the chance of getting pg just the same as if you just slept together, or is it increased?

Purplebuns Wed 22-Jun-11 22:13:54

I would have thought it would be quite similar to sleeping together, but there are so many factors on the TTC rollercoaster. smile

MrsTittleMouse Wed 22-Jun-11 22:14:06

IUI with fresh sperm should have a better result, as you are getting the sperm right where you need them. It requires the involvement of a clinic, though, so is much more expensive and involved.

What would concern me is whether he would be able to produce a sample on demand, given his issues. Whether you do ICI (turkey baster) or IUI, you will need to do it when you're ovulating (using an ovulation tester - wee on a stick). Men who normally don't have medical problems often find that it's difficult to produce with all that pressure.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:14:18

Thanks Mrs T. smile Off to google that now!

AnyFucker Wed 22-Jun-11 22:16:53

all the very best of luck with your research, and ttc x

we had "female problems" so can't help ya

I recommend you both have simple tests that the GP can order as a start though...a sperm count for DH and blood tests for you to check your ovarian function

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:21:30

Okay, there is a local GUM clinic run by the hospital, might start by asking there since I want to go anyhow about DP's ED.

Thanks!!

OddBoots Wed 22-Jun-11 22:25:00

I've had several friends conceive (surrogate babies) using something called an instead cup. The cup is an American type of disposable menstrual cup that is a cross between a mooncup and a diaphragm. The intended father ejaculates in the cup then the woman inserts it so it sits at her cervix(and if she is so inclined helps things along with her own orgasm).

If there are no fertility issues it is as successful as regular sex and no need for any medical involvement. You can buy them online.

AnyFucker Wed 22-Jun-11 22:25:40

I hope you get that bit sorted too, RP

it must be very difficult (I was going to say hard blush ) for both of you

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:26:41

Really, OddBoots? That is interesting. Will give that a google, too!

One problem is that due to DP's pain condition he doesn't like to do anything sexual as much as many men, but I'm all in favour of something with minimal intervention.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:27:16

It often isn't, that's the problem grin

Purplebuns Wed 22-Jun-11 22:30:44

Those cup things are on the same page as the insemination kits, I was intrigued by them. Very interesting OddBoots.
Peasant I think you need a GP referral for fertility clinic or is GUM GP run?

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:33:16

Yeah those cup things seem to imply they are just like mooncups - are they meant to be used for fertility purposes??

This is a self-referring clinic, apparently, purple - haven't been but a colleague has and she said she just booked herself in.

OddBoots Wed 22-Jun-11 22:35:56

My own surrogacies have been with the mum's eggs so IVF but the instead cups are raved about by other surrogates at conferences. Sounds slightly fiddly to me but a friend of mine got pregnant using one in a train station toilet (a long story, it wasn't planned to be there) so it must be easy when you know what you're doing.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 22-Jun-11 22:37:59

Hmm okay! I may have to look into this <strokes beard>

(Not that beard.... blush)

MrsTittleMouse Thu 23-Jun-11 10:40:49

Good luck, I really hope that you can get both problems solved.

Pinkiemum Fri 24-Jun-11 19:18:28

Got pregnant both times using a small pipette/baster and fresh sperm from husband as my husband had problems worked for me.

HooberGoober Fri 24-Jun-11 20:16:50

According to the 2004 NICE fertility guidelines, couples with the appropriate fertility problems should be offered up to 6 rounds of IUI, but in practice these are just guidelines so it is probably down to the individual trusts/PCTs whether you would be funded.

If your husband is unable to produce a sample there are still options although they are somewhat more invasive.

There is good basic information about IUI here and information about the success rates here - bear in mind these success rates will include people with problems such as endometriosis and poor sperm quality so will probably be lower overall than the individual chance of success for an otherwise fertile couple.

If you want to explore the IUI route, the best person to talk to first would probably be your GP - as far as I know most fertility clinic referrals come from the GP initially, and they may want to do a few basic tests on you both before the referral e.g. blood tests, semen analysis if possible. They should also be able to advise you on the funding policy of your local trust.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 24-Jun-11 20:26:52

Thanks for that Hoober, that's definitely given something to mull over! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now