Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect my new carpet not to smell of poo?

(25 Posts)
BerylStreep Wed 22-Jun-11 15:22:07

I got a new carpet fitted yesterday, for our new bedroom.

I have just got back from work today, and the room absolutely stinks of poo! I have all the windows open, but it is completely nauseating.

I can't see any marks or stains - we don't have any pets, and at the moment the room is completely empty, apart from poo fumes. I don't know if it is the fumes from the carpet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

MrsTwinks Wed 22-Jun-11 15:23:41

Nopes. Could it be the carpet glue "going off?"

itisnearlysummer Wed 22-Jun-11 15:25:45

No. I love the smell of new carpets. But definitely not the smell of poo.

Lorenz Wed 22-Jun-11 15:26:00

PMSL @ "Poo Fumes" !! this has brightened my day completely.

MissPenteuth Wed 22-Jun-11 15:32:09

Are you sure someone hasn't put manure on their garden and the smell is coming in through all the open windows? wink

SuePurblybilt Wed 22-Jun-11 15:44:27

Yes. Someone gave me a carpet square made into a rug for my hallway as a temporary measure. It was brand new but stank of cow shit. I assumed bone-based glue and got rid. It was awful <vom>

Lunabelly Wed 22-Jun-11 15:51:59

Can you get the shop and fitters round? And then rub their noses in it get them to assess it.

BerylStreep Wed 22-Jun-11 16:10:52

Smell is definitely not from outside. The smell hit me when I got to the top of the stairs, and I asked my poor DD if she hadn't wiped her bum properly. After inspecting (TMI, I know), I opened the door to the room, and it was a wall of smell hitting me. I have opened all the windows since then, but it still smells.

I was thinking of waiting for a couple of days to see if the smell clears before I phone the carpet shop.

Honestly, it's grim.

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 22-Jun-11 16:13:24

Urgh. Ive just ordered a new carpet for DD's bedroom. I hope I don't have this problem. Normally I love the smell of new carpets!

Pumpernickel10 Wed 22-Jun-11 16:26:09

As anyone used the toilet while you was out?
I would blame DH if I was you grin

LaurieFairyCake Wed 22-Jun-11 16:28:59

Is there any chance that while they were laying the carpets the door was open and some weirdo came in and shat in a drawer/cupboard? hmm

<worst case scenario emoticon> grin

Pumpernickel10 Wed 22-Jun-11 16:30:21

laurie it was the scat man

fedupofnamechanging Wed 22-Jun-11 16:34:41

You should call the shop now. If you leave it,they might think you have done something to cause it or you'd have said something earlier.

Supermummy74 Wed 22-Jun-11 16:36:49

If it smelt like poo you would have smelt it yesterday,its probably not related to the carpet.

BerylStreep Wed 22-Jun-11 16:43:05

It could only be related to the carpet. It is a completely empty room - no furniture, no curtains, nothing. It was decorated a month ago, so no fresh paint. The smell is definately emanating from that room.

I didn't smell it yesterday, so I wonder if it is something to do with the glue developing?

Pumpernickel10 Wed 22-Jun-11 17:23:29

So it's not DH then? My bets were on him smile

maras2 Wed 22-Jun-11 18:23:47

Try spinkling sodium bicarb powder over it, leave 30 minutes then vacuum.If still minging, phone the vendor and complain. Mx.

maras2 Wed 22-Jun-11 18:24:29

Sprinkling even.

StealthPolarBear Wed 22-Jun-11 18:25:44

I wuold ring them FIRST and only do what they advise

NettoSuperstar Wed 22-Jun-11 18:28:11

Hmm, do you think the fitters pooed under the new carpet?
Did they look the type?

Bogeyface Wed 22-Jun-11 18:36:29

I always think that new carpet stinks. According to my mum I was a right drama queen when the new carpets where laid when we moved into a new house when I was 15! I think it stinks of bad farts. It does go after a while, just keep the room aired. Go to somewhere like Carpet Right and that stinks of it too!

LouMacca Wed 22-Jun-11 18:48:37

Oh please come back soon and let us know what the carpet shop say when you inform them that your new carpet smells of poo!! grin

stripeytiger Wed 22-Jun-11 18:53:24

BerylStreep. How old is your house? Reason I ask if because I remember when I was married to ex h we had an old barn conversion. We were in the process of completely re-doing one of the rooms, converting it from an upstairs lounge to a bedroom. Anyway, we took up the old carpet, redecorated it and one day when we went up to the room there was a horrendous stink, just as you describe. We couldn't understand it, it was vile. We never did find out what it was and in a few days the smell went, new carpet was laid and all was ok. We never had the smell again. When the old carpet was taken up there was quite a gap at one point between the floor boards and the cavity wall so maybe it came from there.
Sorry a bit long winded but just a thought.

BerylStreep Thu 23-Jun-11 16:38:52

Well DH says it just smells of new carpet, but the smell is still there - it's vile!

I haven't phoned carpet shop yet.

Stripey, it's an old house, but we have had bare floorboards in the room for ages now, whilst building work was being done. The builders left about a month ago, so I don't think it's anything they have done.

Lunabelly Thu 23-Jun-11 17:29:50

Phone them now, the longer you leave it the less luck you'll have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now