Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hope I could do my blood tests at a different hospital...?

(7 Posts)
KnitterNotTwitter Wed 22-Jun-11 14:52:10

Not really AIBU but here gets the traffic...

Following repeat losses I'm getting tested by St Georges, Tooting. The first step is to get some blood tests done on CD3 and as AF has just turned up that looks like Friday...

BUT I was planning to be in Somerset then. Anyone have any idea whether I could rock up at Bristol Royal Infirmary or somewhere with my blood test paperwork and get them to do the tests? Or am I living in a dream world where the NHS is joined-up enough to handle that sort of thing...

I could delay going away but would rather not....

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 14:59:56

No, you need to have them done at your hospital else results won't make their way through

eurochick Wed 22-Jun-11 15:02:19

I doubt it, but you could probably pay to have them done privately wherever you will be.

deliakate Wed 22-Jun-11 15:06:33

I have had bloods taken at my local hospital before that were promised to be sent to the maternity unit about 12 miles away. They made it, but VERY slowly, and with lots of me chasing it up. Different PCT (which these two hospitals were) have totally different computer systems etc, and so they don't talk very effectively to one another.

Sidge Wed 22-Jun-11 15:10:53

I doubt it.

As far as I understand it, lab tests are now funded within PCTs and can come out of the referring hospital/GP budgets, so other areas won't be happy to carry out tests they won't get paid for.

You could enquire whether they'll process them privately.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 22-Jun-11 15:29:48

Hi knitter hope you're ok. I would second the suggestion of getting them done at a clinic in Somerset privately - I don't think different NHS trusts find it easy to communicate results to each other unfortunately.

KnitterNotTwitter Wed 22-Jun-11 16:13:37

Thanks folks - I think i'll delay going to Somerset then - might give it time for the sun to come out at Glastonbury... <hopes>

pink Hi, i'm doing fine all things considering smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now