Talk

Advanced search

What food shall I give skinny ds1(7) who is always hungry ?

(38 Posts)
Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:22:44

Following on from Orms thread really. I have the opposite problem.
Rds1(7) really quite skinny. And is permanently hungry. I took him to the doctor and jokingly asked if he had worms, but that kid eats and eats and is eating us out of house and home.
As a diabetic my whole life, I feel I have a 'reasonable' grasp of nutrition.
It has been suggested that it is actually tiredness and/or hunger.
So i try to get him to bed early and he drinks lots of water anyway. I stuff him with bananas, try to get protein in him for long term, cheese, youghurts, I do cheese and cracker towers with crackers, ham and cheese.
I give puddings, crisps and chocolate, with muffins, croisants, biscuits. fruit and bread. and ....
Bloody 'ell, I can't even think of anything else to feed the boy. He has 3 huge meals a day.
For breakfast , a huge bowl of cereal. Plus 2 or 3 slices or toast. then a hour later he wants a banana, and a packer of crisps. I do him some cheese and crackers and a youghurt. And some strawberreis and grapes. It goes on and on and on.
I don't know what to do !!
Its costing me a packet !! And this is a long term thing, not just growth spurt !
Any suggestions ?

valiumredhead Wed 22-Jun-11 13:26:43

Is he drinking enough? Sometimes if my ds says he is hungry, I give him a drink and that seems to do the trick.

ddubsgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 13:26:50

is he really hungry or bored?does sem a lot of food and i have 4 hungry boys but even they dont eat that much.
pasta is very filling.

ddubsgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 13:27:48

^seem not sem

Euphemia Wed 22-Jun-11 13:28:19

Does he like eggs? Scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast might fill him up better - I find cereal hopeless for keeping me feeling full.

Does he get plenty carbs at mealtimes?

valiumredhead Wed 22-Jun-11 13:29:41

I agree - cooked breakfast is the way to go, I am hungry after cereal and toast too!

AllTheYoungDoods Wed 22-Jun-11 13:29:42

More protein to fill him up? So beans or egg on wholemeal toast for breakfast, tuna sandwich for lunch etc. Another porridge fan here - so much more filling than cereal.

ddubsgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 13:29:55

also is he very active?

munstersmum Wed 22-Jun-11 13:31:56

Keep the water as drink but also steer towards 1/2 pint of milk instead of edible snack sometimes? Nuts are quite filling.

MrsKravitz Wed 22-Jun-11 13:32:20

Really thats how 7 year olds (ime) eat. Mine will eat pretty much as you listed.

curlyredhead Wed 22-Jun-11 13:32:41

My top tip is oats - great slow release energy and lots of different ways of having them:

Porridge
Oatcakes - go with lots of things, and are really filling, have them with tuna, cheese, melt cheese on top in microwave and have with salsa, ham, cream cheese etc
Flapjacks - make your own and fill them with dried fruit / seeds etc
Granola - again make your own, we have a great recipe from a blog, I'll see if I can find it, have it with yoghurt or milk

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:33:02

I think he is getting lots of carbs. I obviously am very aware of carbs, as I have to count them every time I eat them,. We do eat ALOT of pasta, potatoes and bread, as main meals.
Plus I do casseroles and dumplings. Eat alot of rice and noodles. Both love chilli and rice, stir fried rice, which I make ,and I make a good curry with boiled rice and naan breads. How much more carby, can you GET ?
I do try and encourage both ds's to drink alot of water and I think they do.

curlyredhead Wed 22-Jun-11 13:34:01

Here's the granola recipe:
veryberryhandmade.co.uk/our-recipes/our-house-granola/

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:34:40

I will try to cook more eggs. he likes eggs alot.
I do feed him alot of beans on toast. They both love it and I consider a good nutritional, carby meal. And jacket pots I do alot.

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:36:02

I will try and do more cooked breakfasts. I willt try the granola and flapjacks.
Thank you.

altinkum Wed 22-Jun-11 13:40:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pannacotta Wed 22-Jun-11 13:43:11

Agree with the protein and oats suggestions. Carbs are less filling.

Baked beans with cheese grated on top on a large, butterede baked potato plus some sausages is popular with my DSs.
Poached eggs on wholemeal marmite toast for breakfast. Oat cakes or wholegrain rice cakes with nut butter for snacks etc.

rainbowtoenails Wed 22-Jun-11 13:47:04

Are the carbs wholemeal? Does he eat lots of steaks, chops, fish and vegetables? Go for the full fat versions of dairy products.. give him soup as a starter before meals and encourage him to eat more slo releasing fruit like apples, pear@ and berries. Fruitcake or malt loafs are another good filleer. What about cooked chic?en drumsticks as a snack? Will he eat marmite or peanut butter? . Bean stews !re also good if he'll take it.

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:50:35

well, I may take him back tot he doctor. I mean its hardly surprising that the doctor was dissmissive. Is it ?
he has just been diagnosed as Aspergers. He likes sedentary things like lying down watching tv with ds2. But also bounces around on our tramploline and plays gfootball alot.
he comes home from school and begs for food. I give him 6 or 7 things . Then he has dinner. maybe 4 sausages, 4 huge scoops of mash. and 2 huge scoops of pees. Then an hour later, he won't go to bed. Becasue he is starving. and begs and cries. Then I give hims somethign. Toast and a banana, and a muffin. And a glass of milk. And a chocolate biscuit. And he says thanks you mummy. Runs upstairs all happy, jumps into bed. And is asleep withing 10 minutes.

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 13:54:09

wholemael carbs. I ahve always eaten brown rice, brown pasta, brown bread.

Good ideas on the malt loaf and the chicken drumsticks. They both like marmite and peanut butter. I do that on toast alot, with a banana and a glass of milk. I thought that was the 'right' thing, but it all seems to be failing me.

Pannacotta Wed 22-Jun-11 13:57:35

Do you give him protein with every meal? That will help with hs blood sugar and keep him fuller for longer.

Soups Wed 22-Jun-11 13:57:50

He sounds like one of my boys, he's a food dustbin but remains very skinny.

Eggy bread is a good quick breakfast.

OldMacEIEIO Wed 22-Jun-11 13:58:40

He has a tape worm. Hold a sunday dinner under his bum and when it sticks its head out, grab it and wrestle it to the ground.

and no, YANBU

altinkum Wed 22-Jun-11 14:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oblomov Wed 22-Jun-11 14:03:39

Could be Alt, could be just habit, couldn't it ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now