Talk

Advanced search

To want to know if the DC's school is open next Thursday

(24 Posts)
theITgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 12:49:32

My school is closed to pupils but I have to work (support staff so plenty to keep me busy).
But I have no idea what my DC's school is doing. I cannot let my boss know if I have childcare problems or try to sort out favours with friends.

Rumour is, via TA colleague whose DH teaches at my DC's school is that the school will be open but some classes closed. So I may have one, both or neither DC!!!

BTW I have no problem with the being on strike, just the not letting the parents know if it will affect them.

worraliberty Wed 22-Jun-11 12:51:17

I take it you've phoned and asked?

huffythethreadslayer Wed 22-Jun-11 12:55:50

My dd's teacher is on strike. I work at her school and I'm in (TA - non-union). Luckily friends have offered to take her for us. I know it'll cause problems for working parents, but I'm in favour of the strikes. Gvtmnt can't piddle about with existing contracts. New entrants take the terms they're offered. Anyone who's been in post a few years needs protection. That applies to ANY employee...regardless of whether they're public or private employees.

Sinkingfeeling Wed 22-Jun-11 12:58:03

My DC's school will be open, closed or some classes open and some classes closed, no one knows yet - helpful for working parents! confused

theITgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 13:04:47

Actually, just had an email. I checked again after posting.
two thirds of the classes are closed, but neither of my DC's.
DD's teacher is maternity cover (this is her first week)
DS's teacher is also maternity cover which is job share with the deputy. but the maternity cover half of the week.

I think job security had a lot to do with their decision, or the deputy is covering DS's class - hope not.

lazylula Wed 22-Jun-11 13:10:25

I would like to know as well, not because I work but because it is ds2's birthday so would like to know if d1 will be home or not so I can plan the day for ds2. Not having the school run to do will change what we are able to do for the day!

ddubsgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 13:23:54

my 2 older kids school is shut but still waiting to hear from younger 2 kids school sad

wadadlis Wed 22-Jun-11 13:32:43

I'm a teacher (but not working today!) and will be on strike (thanks for the support on this thread BTW). My understanding is that union members are not obliged to inform their Heads whether they will be on strike or not, so your daughter's school may well not know until the morning of the strike how many strikers they have, and thus whether they will have to close the school for health and safety reasons.
As a parent myself, I know this is a complete pain for the parents of school age children. I have chosen to tell my Head my position, but your daughter's Head may have little idea of his/her situtation until Thurs 30th morning.

JambalayaCodfishPie Wed 22-Jun-11 14:18:59

I also teach, and whilst we are open, DD's school will only say that they are 'yet to make a decision' and 'we will be informed'.

Luckily, my headteacher is very supportive, and just told me to let her know when I know - shes aware theres nothing she can do!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jun-11 14:34:55

YANBU
wish we knew but only cos I like to plan in advance. I'm not phoning as the admin staff are busy enough as it is without 300 parents phoning them up. (I know that some people do actually need to know, so they can be the ones to phone)

caughtinanet Wed 22-Jun-11 14:39:02

I admit to not being up to date with the reasons for striking so not making any judgements but I've had a letter from one of my DCs school saying they won't be open but nothing from the othe school.

I had assumed this meant that it will be open, am I wrong and might it be the case that I won't know until 9am on the 30th?

EcoLady Wed 22-Jun-11 15:48:31

The members of the striking unions are not obliged to tell their Heads in advance whether they'll be striking or not. Many teachers are letting their Heads know, as they do fully understand the position that parents are in, but they don't have to tell at all.

All that the Head has to know is how many members of the striking unions are in their school. They can't force the teachers to say whether they are striking. Thus, some Heads simply cannot make an advanced decision on whether to remain open on the 30th.

veritythebrave Wed 22-Jun-11 16:37:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jun-11 16:42:49

school is closing. now I know so I can rest easy!

youarekidding Wed 22-Jun-11 16:51:40

Thats a point I don't know about my DS' My school isn't but I drop him off at local centre for out of school club and they go on minibus. Guess they'll ring if they get there and its shut?

Does anyone know if this counts as a paid emergency childcare day if its due to strike action?

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 22-Jun-11 16:55:32

Still no idea here...

zipzap Wed 22-Jun-11 16:56:27

To the teachers on here that are striking, what do you actually do when you are striking? (sorry op for hijack) do you stay at home or go and picket the school or go to a union meeting elsewhere or something else?

This is the first time that ds has been at school when there is a teachers strike and I have no idea what to expect - I'd even naively assumed until reading this that everything should carry on as normal but that we would have been told by now if they were going to close. So at least I now know I need to double check, thank you.

But they were talking on the radio today(?) about the miners strike and the rifts it created in communities. And then that got me wondering as to how differently different groups of people/professions go on strike and how it is different today etc, as I really don't know blush.

Good luck by the way, it's not nice when they start trying to change your terms of employment...

wadadlis Thu 23-Jun-11 17:37:13

So far as I am aware the unions are encouraging us teachers to go on marches - I live near central London so can do this quite easily. Don't know/understand about pickets - I am new to this game.

The NUT info sent out to teachers about the strike has been pretty comprehensive, the ATL (my [usually] non militant union) hasn't sent much. Guess that's cos they are new to this too! But as ATL is involved this time, I expect the effect of the strikes to be much more extensive than ones more recently - it shows a real strength of feeling if their union members are out too.

EcoLady seems to know her stuff - she explained the not knowing about school closure thing much better than me!

ScarletOHaHa Thu 23-Jun-11 17:47:09

If teachers picket school there may be people not prepared to cross the line on the day. My DS's nursery is closed- at least we can plan around this.

Riveninside Thu 23-Jun-11 17:50:07

Dds school still doesnt know. So we cant arrange a carer and may end up losing the chance.
Its very fustrating.

Milliways Thu 23-Jun-11 18:51:46

DS's school have sent an email confirming they will be open, praising the staff and that the head has written to the Government in support of the teachers pensions claims.

ScarletOHaHa Fri 24-Jun-11 09:41:00

I agree in principle with with unions regarding change of conditions, even though inset days/ strikes are a massive pita. I would not cross a picket line.

Riveninside Fri 24-Jun-11 13:05:51

Whoooooo dds class are in next thursday but on the friday they are having their 6th inset day. Brought in by the Labour Govt because of a proposed change of curriculum. That change isnt going ahead cos of new govt but the 6th inset day is still happening. For no reason the class teacher knows.

youarekidding Fri 24-Jun-11 15:57:20

DS school just don't know.

He goes from a centre out of school club and dropped off - so I may get a phonecall to pick him up again - and not sure if I'll get paid. I'd better ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now