Talk

Advanced search

The hoi polloi

(55 Posts)
Jux Wed 22-Jun-11 10:42:13

hoi means 'the'
polloi means 'people'

The hoi polloi means 'the the people'. It is tautological. You don't need the extra 'the'.wink

Sorry, but it grates on me. Yes, I do have more important things to do, but I am desperately trying to avoid doing them grin

No, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, either here on in RL, but I have just heard yet another person using the phrase so I thought I'd disseminate the info as widely as poss.

Hound me, I probably deserve it grin

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 10:44:11

<<cough...pedants corner...cough>>

It is annoying I know. Right up there with people who post in the wrong section.

grovel Wed 22-Jun-11 10:45:05

And there should only be one L in Philip. And people who hate horses should not be called Philip.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 22-Jun-11 10:45:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsravelstein Wed 22-Jun-11 10:46:41

i have learned (learnt??? aarrrrgggh) something new today, thank you!

Insomnia11 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:47:42

I didn't actually know that Jux, thanks. I don't think I have ever heard it used correctly, in that case.

Sounds a bit like "myriad". You don't need to say "A myriad of things" but just "myriad things".

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 22-Jun-11 10:48:35

It's a bit like 'PAT testing'... it doesn't sound right as 'PA testing' but the extra 'T' is unnecessary.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 22-Jun-11 10:49:04

worraliberty Wed 22-Jun-11 10:49:05

Well I don't have anything more important to do so I'll just add I feel the same when people say "My DCs"

That means their talking about their 'childrens' instead of children doesn't it? grin

Taghain Wed 22-Jun-11 10:50:59

And PIN number always winds me up.
Personal Indentification Number number ????
aaagh!

Bast Wed 22-Jun-11 10:52:04

My DCs dog eats cat poo.

Chen23 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:00:48

"My DCs dog eats cat poo."

grin

non sequitur of the month, congrats!

Bast Wed 22-Jun-11 11:06:41

A phone call recently~

Haitch as in hotel?

No. Aitch as in acorn.

Bast Wed 22-Jun-11 11:07:51

Thanks Chen wink

He's not my dog when he's being nasty!

Jux Wed 22-Jun-11 11:16:46

Pagwatch, I know, but only pedants look at pedants corner and they would all already know so it'd be pointless there. Here, there's a chance more people will see it and I'll have to reply to posts like yours, thus continuing avoidance of task I am avoiding (very successfully as it happens) and giving many other people the opportunity to tell me off, which will force me to continue to avoid said task. It's a self-perpetuating circle, do you see?. Besides which, it would seem I'm being unreasonable by being in Am I Being Unreasonable, which rather appeals to me. grin

Bast, my dd worships you and has a gold effigy of you in her room. I shall pass on the information about your dc's dog and his predilection for cat poo. She will be thrilled.

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 11:21:55

And I thought responding to pedantry with a touch of pedantry was a good way to go. We could get stuck in a smallish circle of hell. Except my topic pedantry is single layered.
So that's it really.

But I tried to enter the spirit of the thing.

And is has been useful in that it has confirmed my fear that if I don't grin everyone takes me very seriously.

<<ahem>> grin

Bast Wed 22-Jun-11 11:28:41

Jux, I'm humbled! I've taken her name in vain but do have a love of cats and several of them (so the dog is somewhat useful, if gruesome).

Jux Wed 22-Jun-11 16:40:11

Well that succeeded dismally! I have just finished said task, and it was even more horrible than I knew it was going to be.

Has anyone ever tried typing pages and pages of equations, intermingled with explanation and interpretation? It is vile, I tell you, vile.

Pag, sorry you are an Empress to me, and I have to treat you with due deference wink

Bast, dd was wondering if you would like to come and live with us......

grin

Georgelassosthemoon Wed 22-Jun-11 16:43:18

The T in MOT stands for Transport (Ministry Of)

HopeEternal Wed 22-Jun-11 17:11:16

Oh, pish tosh. I come charging in to scream NO, NO, one does not say the hoi polloi as hoi already means the. And now I can't since the OP already did.

Sigh.

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 17:13:34

Demonstrate in a sentence please.

A correct sentence and an incorrect sentence.

strandedbear Wed 22-Jun-11 17:14:38

blindmansmuff Wed 22-Jun-11 17:20:39

And can we please open a till for FEWER than 10 items not LESS?

JoySzasz Wed 22-Jun-11 17:29:11

I would like to add that that nothing can be really unique.

It is unique, or it isn't. grin

iklboo Wed 22-Jun-11 17:31:51

A colleague announced she was 'positively neutral' about something the other day confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now