Talk

Advanced search

to be reaaallly nervous about starting a job at MCDONALDS

(28 Posts)
BornThisWayBaby Wed 22-Jun-11 10:19:47

Been desperately searchig for a job for afew months now, was offered a job at Maccy D's been to my welcome meeting and was told to come in today for two hours so they can give me my uniform, shifts and show me around etc. I am really nervous as this is my first EVER job!

GeekCool Wed 22-Jun-11 10:21:24

Congratulations grin . Hope it goes well and no YANBU

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jun-11 10:21:41

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine. Everyone's nervous on their first day.

itisnearlysummer Wed 22-Jun-11 10:22:17

Not at all U!

Starting a new job, whatever it is, is exciting and scary. Especially when it's your first ever and you've been searching for months.

Good luck!

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 22-Jun-11 10:23:41

Good luck and congratulations!

Euphemia Wed 22-Jun-11 10:24:30

Congrats! You're bound to be nervous, but I bet you'll soon get to know the other staff and have a great time. grin

timewastingaway Wed 22-Jun-11 10:24:52

congrats on your McJob! grin

BornThisWayBaby Wed 22-Jun-11 10:26:39

Thank you grin

I seriously thought this job would be a piece of piss but we were given 2 A4 booklets for health and safety and hygiene etc. Theres sooo much to remember!!

Lulabellarama Wed 22-Jun-11 10:31:38

I worked at McDonalds while I was at college and I genuinely loved it. It is hard work but I love customer interaction and you bond quickly with your colleagues.
Good luck!

(btw I used to hold the UK RECORD for most money taken in a single shift <buffs nails>)

LilBB Wed 22-Jun-11 10:40:33

Good luck!! Mcdonalds are a great employer and invest a lot in their staff. My sister used to work there and she was constantly encouraged up the ladder. She was there whilst at college/uni but they still sent her on lots of training and offered to put her forward for the management training program. She didn't as she wanted to do something completely different to do with her qualifications. Not many employers would bother if someone was working there to put themselves through uni.

Crosshair Wed 22-Jun-11 10:43:11

Good luck!

mumblechum1 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:44:36

Good luck! Am trying to get ds (16) to apply now his GCSEs are over.

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

lesley33 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:50:07

Congratulations and good luck and it is perfectly understandable that you are nervous. I don't think any job really is a piece of piss - especially at the beginning. You always have to learn the systems they use.

FootprintsOnTheMoon Wed 22-Jun-11 10:50:15

My friend got fired for treating it like a McJob! I think they are uber professional in their approach.

NettoSuperstar Wed 22-Jun-11 10:51:29

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

knittedbreast Wed 22-Jun-11 10:52:17

well done! just be yourself, thats what will make you good at your job. smile

LDNmummy Wed 22-Jun-11 10:52:47

Congratulations! The service industry is a great place to start as a first job and will teach you so many tranferable skills.

Don't be nervous, and good luck!

MarioandLuigi Wed 22-Jun-11 10:52:52

I worked at McD's while at college - when its busy its hard work, but the people I worked with were really fun and it was a laugh.

BornThisWayBaby Wed 22-Jun-11 13:22:11

Thank you everyone
Lula - LOL grin well done!!
LilBB- I've been told they really encourage you to go up in their career ladder , I'm not sure I will though as I'm not planning to stay there forever, but you never know grin I'm just over the moon someone employed me, I've had no work experience and have three children 4, 3 and 18 months and thought I was unemployable!

BornThisWayBaby Wed 22-Jun-11 13:22:27

mumble - Im 20

mumblechum1 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:36:48

<<feels ancient>>

<<is ancient>>

Hope you really enjoy it BTWB

BertieBasset Wed 22-Jun-11 13:40:13

I would be very nervous if I were to start working there as to how much my waist would expand!!

Congratulations! Hope all goes well

EricNorthmansMistress Wed 22-Jun-11 13:40:52

McDs is one of the best places to work if you are interested in management training schemes, it's very well thought of. McDs is thought of in such dismissive terms as an employer but it's actually a great place to work (if you don't mind the smell of burgers and chip fat smile )

nickelbabe Wed 22-Jun-11 13:42:04

you'll love it.
they're very proud of hygiene and food quality, so you'll get a lot out of it. smile

LilBB Wed 22-Jun-11 13:43:25

Yes I must warn you my sister put on about 2 stone when she worked there. A meal per shift, plus desserts when she was on a close and a staff discount card. I would have thought it would put you off eating it but not for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now