Talk

Advanced search

Before I ring Olympic Holidays and go postal, can I have some advice?

(45 Posts)
BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 10:15:58

We booked our holiday to Greece in March. Outbound flight was at 9.45am, with Monarch Airlines.

Yesterday, DH got a call saying that our flights had changed times as Olympic were no longer dealing with Monarch and they had now switched to the airline Sky Wings, so our flight isn't until 2.30, so we will miss pretty much a whole day (which is crap when you're only there a week...)

Was looking through the paperwork last night to see if they had a disclaimer about change of flight times, and I noticed that the carrier was listed as Sky Wings, not Monarch (these are the original tickets btw) So I reckon they've ballsed our flight up and we were never on the Monarch flight in the first place. I am a bit pee'd off as a major draw for booking this particular holiday was the good flight times. We would have opted for a diffeent one flying from Manchester if I had known the flight was afternoon.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I call them and ask for some money back (not much, just talking reimbursement for in-flight meals/seating pre-payment)

Thanks smile

youarekidding Wed 22-Jun-11 10:29:29

I would read the bit about changes. Usually found at back of brochure or T&C if online booking.

There is usually a list of compensations given if they make changes and what time limits they can make them in.

I agree its shit as Greece is 2 hours ahead so 6 hours later by the time you've flown there meaning probably be tired the first day.

Ring and ask questions about why tickets say this, what you can do about switching to better flight from other airport.

And don't accept they're answer of nothing.

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 10:39:03

I was wondering if I could say to them that I do not want to switch from the original Monarch flight that we booked. I have an inkling that they will try it on with as many people as possible, knowing that most will just accept it, but they might be able to get a few on to the original flight...

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:43:47

But if theyve changed your outbound flight, then your return flight will also have changed, surely?

I doubt you have a leg to stand on, as it's still the same day, and theyve given you plenty of notice. Flight times change all the time. but thats just my feeling on it. But I'd defo email them to see what the official line is.

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 10:45:19

Outbound flight has changed by just one hour (4pm instead of 3pm) so that's OK. We leave on Monday so I'm not sure they've given us "plenty" of time!

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:45:40

PS if your original tickets say you're on the Sky Wings flight, then they havent actually changed anything at all, as far as theyre concerned.
Do you have anything in writing to say you were originally told it would be Monarch at 0945?

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 10:53:16

Hmmm, I did think that about the tickets...

However, my invoice does say Monarch at 09.45.

CurlyBoy Wed 22-Jun-11 11:03:53

Olympic Airlines/Holidays have shockingly bad customer service. I was treated extremely badly when I was trying to return home from Athens when I was working on the 2004 olympic games. Everyone involved in the games had tons of horror stories about dealing with them but we had to use them as they were a major sponsor to the games. I doubt they have gotten much better.

I wish you luck, you're gong to need it.

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:06:00

ah, i see - so you think theyve put you on the Sky Wings flight beforehand but didnt bother to tell anyone, so theyre trying to present it as a recent change?

I'd definitely get on to them and see what they say, but I suspect they can/will do nothing

EssexBecca Wed 22-Jun-11 11:09:31

Can you check that the monarch flight does exist and is still running? And maybe if there are available seats on it still? Then you can ask to be moved to that flight with a bit more confidence?

youarekidding Wed 22-Jun-11 11:13:42

So getting there has changed from 9.45am (arrive 3.45 greek time) and returning week later 3pm greek time to leaving 2.30pm (arriving 10.30pm GT) and leaving 4pm (GT)?

I'd be annoyed. I would also go with the invoice details as the invoice states what you've paid for.

It's no different than a receipt - if a receipt says you've paid £10 for a top but label says its £5 you get the receipt amount refunded.

ENormaSnob Wed 22-Jun-11 11:14:07

My friend had similar with tom cook.

She wasn't happy so was put back onto a better flight. She waS also offered a refund if she wanted to cancel.

Which hol did you decide on?

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 11:14:17

"ah, i see - so you think theyve put you on the Sky Wings flight beforehand but didnt bother to tell anyone, so theyre trying to present it as a recent change?"

Precisely. grin Cheeky arses.

I have been trying to check the Monarch flight. I am sure it exists as it's a chartered flight. I am going to try that route first, I think.

youarekidding Wed 22-Jun-11 11:14:31

Does sound like they've fucked up and are now passing it off as necessary change?

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:21:14

what have they said about the return flights? Cos theyre usually approx an hour after the outbound flight arrives there. i.e. if your flight gets in at 6pm then the return will be at roughly 7pm.
So youd have more time at the resort on the last day than youd expected.

ShirleyKnot Wed 22-Jun-11 11:26:43

But the last day is always total arse isn't it?

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:31:48

yes, it's shite - but I was more thinking along the lines of them arguing that yiou're still there for 7 days, iyswim

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 12:07:04

It works out that I lose about five hours on the first day but gain an hour on the last day sad

I've just called them. Nothing they will can do...

ENormaSnob Wed 22-Jun-11 12:20:24

Have they offered the option of cancelling for a full refund?

I would be really pissed off, you're losing almost a full day.

Fuckers.

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 12:22:46

She said as the difference in flight is less than twelve hours, they don;t have to do anything, but they were sorry.

I hate their guts <dramatic>

vmcd28 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:30:21

I hate how these things go - you book a holiday to spend fun time with your family, you look forward to it and spend hundreds or thousands of pounds on it, then they shit on you and dont do anything to help.
If you paid so much money on anything else we would expect some sort of recompense if things didnt go right.

Hullygully Wed 22-Jun-11 12:31:09

Malaccas

BupcakesandCunting Wed 22-Jun-11 12:34:25

I might post them a shit.

ENormaSnob Wed 22-Jun-11 12:35:13

Where you going?

youarekidding Wed 22-Jun-11 12:36:47

OK, going to be logistical now.

Original flight arrived 3pm ish (GT)? What board basis are you on? Will you lose any meals/ kids club etc inc in holiday price by arriving at night time?

Thats what I would be using as a reason for compensation. What you will lose by the 'delay' in arriving.

If you do have extra costs (xtra packed lunch as restaurant closed on arrival) then note them with the rep in resort. Get them to fill out a customer report form and give them a chance to rectify it in resort. If not then write when you get back explaining that arriving later meant you missed............ and that this was included in the price paid as stated ..................in the brochure/ website.

To claim anything you usually have to prove how its affected you financially/ physically.

Unfortuantly that they're being fuckers and pissed you off doesn't count.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now